• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M500NC 374 euro = 415usd for monoblock NC500!

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
If your MX-1 is in good shape, I'm thinking your sound is in good shape. I doubt a new amp will improve upon that model. Isn't it full dual mono as well?
It's in great shape. I need to confirm that the bias is adjusted correctly and maybe take a couple measurements of the capacitors to see how they're holding up, but there are no signs of issues. The input gain controls aren't super precise. When they're both at their physical maximum the left channel is just ever so slightly hotter than the right channel, but that was very easy to correct once I could do more precise voltage measurements on the output by nudging the left input gain control down a sliver. I've seen the MX-1 described both as being dual mono and also as actually being just two large EI transformers acting as a single power supply to both channels. I haven't looked at a schematic to confirm either way.

Is there something missing from your music? The Onix stuff was a great mid-high end parts bin run, IMO. I'm not so sure their x-overs were calculated perfectly. The use of that ring tweeter required a fairly high xover point, something like 4k. If they didn't do that properly, I can see you potentially hearing some issues. However, it sounds like you have a nice setup already, which would probably require a better room/placement, for the sound to improve, IMHO.
Not really missing anything so far as I know. Back when I originally purchased these speakers I spent ~3 years before going through all kinds of different speakers looking for a sound that sat right with me. Went through Def. Tech., Maggies, the lower-end "Rocket" line from the same vendor, Ascend, JBL, Polk, and Paradigm. I stopped once I got to the Ref 3's. Each one weighs over 100 lbs., there's enough controlled & punchy bass supplied by the 7" Atohm woofers that I sold off the SVS cylinder sub I had at the time and went down to a 2.0 channel system. I'd abandoned my home theater setup by that point, so I didn't need a big sub for effects, and really disliked the process of trying to blend it with the litany of other speakers for music. Back then I drove them with an Aragon 8008BB (which I regretted selling before moving back to Portland, and recently acquired a replacement one, but it hasn't yet displaced the MX-1).

Mostly, I'm just really curious to try out some modern Class D technology unencumbered by all the other random stuff packed into the Pioneer receiver I was using. The NC500MP based mono amps are especially affordable for what you get it seems. I could probably spring for NC400 kits, but if there's not much in the way of material difference, then I could probably satisfy my curiosity without springing for the more expensive setup.

For some reason I kind of like the idea of having a little Topping D50s flanked by two narrow chassis Hypex amps driving this big tower speakers. Right now it's a Parasound P5 stacked on the MX-1, a reasonably svelte setup to be sure, but not as diminutive as the Topping/Hypex setup would be.

BTW, I'd love to see Amir test the MX-1 if you have the ability to send her in!
I live down in Portland, so it's not that much of a hassle for me to make a trip up to the Seattle-area. I've actually already offered to have Amir measure both the Yamaha MX-1 and the ONIX Ref 3's. I'd be able to get by without them for a little bit, but earlier this year he was a bit overwhelmed with equipment to review, and now of course the world is unraveling, but I'd still pack 'em up and take them up there.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I doubt you'll hear a difference, but the Hypex NC1200 series might be a good replacement, should you venture into those waters. There's always the MX-"D"1 if you want Yamaha Class D. :)

I had an MX1, bought it used, it was (or seemed to be) very impressive. It might have been the sheer weight that gave me the perception of excellence, but ignorance surely is bliss. I still can't believe I'm hearing about it now, it's making me wish I hadn't moved it along, for lesser amps nonetheless (who knew....?).

Lawhaus

I'm in doubt of getting monoblocks from Audiophonics NC500MP/NC400 v.s. the reference NC400 DIY kit.

It would be great If I can save some time and money by going the Audiophonics NC500MP/NC400 route. But I'm in doubt about the their build quality: the internal wiring used seems thinner, loosely arranged en not twisted tightly. Is this a legitimate concern or is it just my OCD?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, Audiophonics also carries an NC500 monoblock by another company, Hattor. No trigger, but fancier, more professional and compact enclosure for $100 more. Probably why they don't think it would cannibalise their own offering (which I initially thought) - a utilitarian monoblock and one that can be a display piece for a small premium. You get more faceplate options if you order directly from Hattor though. I've always admired their wood faceplates (which are the same price):

1.jpg

I thought they were vapourware because I couldn't believe an NC500 monoblock with such a fancy case was $600/pc, but some guy local to me is a distributor, and I saw user photos elsewhere (Reddit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/fnl00k
If I were to go active with outboard amps, I would love to have a row of these on my rack.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'm in doubt of getting monoblocks from Audiophonics NC500MP/NC400 v.s. the reference NC400 DIY kit.

It would be great If I can save some time and money by going the Audiophonics NC500MP/NC400 route. But I'm in doubt about the their build quality: the internal wiring used seems thinner, loosely arranged en not twisted tightly. Is this a legitimate concern or is it just my OCD?
I'm thinking the same, but perhaps that can be improved with some minor DIY?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm thinking the same, but perhaps that can be improved with some minor DIY?

If it helps, the other, more expensive NC500 monoblock Audiophonics sells (linked above) has much neater wire runs (but not twisted). Not sure if it's okay for it not to be twisted given the short run. The only other thing that gives me pause is the large solder glob of the binding posts to the vertical PCB for the back panel connections.

black_5_0.jpg

Lawhaus

@Ilkless thnx for sharing, I saw those on there as well, but didnt know what to think of them. The design is a little bit too much for me :confused: I think I'm just gonna go with the nc400 from diyclassd or their reseller soundimports.eu

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
@Ilkless thnx for sharing, I saw those on there as well, but didnt know what to think of them. The design is a little bit too much for me :confused: I think I'm just gonna go with the nc400 from diyclassd or their reseller soundimports.eu
I agree. At first I thought, that's clever, having cooling fins spelling the brand, but they're non-functional and just add to the size and cost for no good reason.

1roger

so how does this amp perform sonically. compared to for example audiophonics mpa-m400nc

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
so how does this amp perform sonically. compared to for example audiophonics mpa-m400nc
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm wondering if we're talking about audibly transparent between the NC400 and the different NCxxxMP modules, or if there's actually an audible difference. Likewise, I find it interesting that (based on the datasheets) the stereo NC502MP module appears to perform slightly better than the NC500MP mono module.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly. Since the @Audiophonics line-up grew up quite SIGNIFICANTLY (with names changed and somewhat confusing), I think it deserves some clarification:

Mono amps:

- NC250MP based: PA-M250NC, 319€
- NC500MP based: MPA-M500NC, 449€
- NC400DIY based: MPA-M400NC, 699€

Stereo amps:

- NC122MP based: PA-S125NC, RCA or XLR, 269€
- NC252MP based: MPA-S252NC, RCA or XLR, 469€
- NC250MP based: HPA-S250NC, 699€
- NC500MP based: HPA-S500NC, 899€
- NC400DIY based: HPA-S400NC, 1490€

Prices in €, including VAT.

That's pretty much it.

Add the new LPA-S500NC (NC502MP) to the list!!

audiophonics-lpa-s500nc-amplificateur-stereo-class-d-ncore-2x500w-4-ohm.jpg

Last edited:

Lawhaus

This is strange. I literally e-mail them on 25 december asking:
Hello, are you planning to offer an amplifier based on Hypex NC502MP module? Is it possible to make a custom one?

To which they replied on 28 december:
Hi,

No new amp is planned in a near futur.

And unfortunatly no since this board cannot be sold to final customers :

https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc502mp-oem/77

Best regards

Still I'm happy to see they are offering it :) will probably buy

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally! IMO the NC502MP is the best value of all Hypex nCore amplifiers, specially with such a low price. :)

Audiophonics

Dealer

While the commercial name is very close, from our subjective opinion, the M400NC / S400NC sound more natural than S500.

S500NC is a more powerful S250NC, very dynamic, low frequencies are perfect, but we prefer high frequencies of S400NC & S400ET (Purifi) amps which we find more precise and balanced.

It is only our subjective feeling, it will depend on the character and size of the speakers and the feelings of each one.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While the commercial name is very close, from our subjective opinion, the M400NC / S400NC sound more natural than S500.

S500NC is a more powerful S250NC, very dynamic, low frequencies are perfect, but we prefer high frequencies of S400NC & S400ET (Purifi) amps which we find more precise and balanced.

It is only our subjective feeling, it will depend on the character and size of the speakers and the feelings of each one.

So you recommend to order all of them and return the ones not retained ? ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is strange. I literally e-mail them on 25 december asking:

To which they replied on 28 december:

Still I'm happy to see they are offering it :) will probably buy
I think they misinterpreted your question as a request for a Hypex module rather than for an amp, based on their response.

Lawhaus

Received the NC502MP based amp yesterday. It’s actually bigger, heavier and more sturdy than I expected.

Connected it to SMSL SU-8 and LS50, so far very satisfied :cool:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom