• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

EsquireKnight

Sweetwater in the US received stock to my mild surprise and I was able to snag one today. Previous estimates were shipping in September so this was good news. I'm looking forward to the measurements and plan on using this with my Genelec 8351Bs via AES/EBU. I'm a hobbyist musician so my use case will be different, but I like reading the reviews and comments on this forum that tailor more toward the audiophile perspective.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
but I like reading the reviews and comments on this forum that tailor more toward the audiophile perspective

Hmmm the measurements of this forum tailor more to the pro audio perspective... a lot of guys on gearslut forum like the measurement of gear here...

A lot of audiophiles don't like measurements so much :D

For example, verifying Genelecs measurements that they share in their user manual.

Same with RME...

EsquireKnight

Hmmm the measurements of this forum tailor more to the pro audio perspective... a lot of guys on gearslut forum like the measurement of gear here...

A lot of audiophiles don't like measurements so much :D

For example, verifying Genelecs measurements that they share in their user manual.

Same with RME...

Fair enough. :) I was talking more about Amir who is doing reviews more as a music listener (?) rather than a music producer. I mean, it doesn't really matter, this forum is for people who are into audio science. ;)

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I was talking more about Amir who is doing reviews more as a music listener (?) rather than a music producer. I mean, it doesn't really matter, this forum is for people who are into audio science. ;)

Agreed. There's no music producer doing these kinds of detailed measurements, so we're stuck with music listeners like Amir i guess :D

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Ordered this one today. It's going to be replacing my 5 years old Apogee Quartet. I use the AI only to work with ProTools and Logic Pro X.

ra990

Same, just ordered from sweetwater. I had a mixer plugged into my Babyface Pro to get more inputs, but obviously couldn't track them separately, which was limiting. This fits the bill nicely with more ins/outs. I'll finally part ways with my trusty, bus-powered Babyface Pro after many years of reliable performance!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Got my RME Fireface UCX II just 1 hour ago and it's already up and running :)

Initial impressions after listening to it with Roon and also checking some multi tracks with Pro Tools are very positive. My 2017 iMac running Big Sur recognized it immediately after installing 3.25 driver. Same for Roon. Floor noise, while a bit high compared to my Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3, it's way lower than my Apogee Quartet. I'm running my MA mini-i Pro 3 and Fireface UCX II through a Drawmer CMC3 monitor controller and the Apogee Quartet was having high floor noise using balanced cables. The UCX II has no problems and it's dead silent compared to the Apogee Quartet. The Apogee Quartet is already for sale at FB Marketplace.

Question for @MC_RME It's OK to leave the UCX II ON 24/7? That's the way I had my Apogee Quartet for the last 4 years without any issues. Any chance that the UCX II screen could suffer burn in?

IMG_7867.jpeg

IMG_7869.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 11.47.10 AM.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is getting pretty warm, so lots of wasted energy if you leave it on i guess.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It is getting pretty warm, so lots of wasted energy if you leave it on i guess.

Mine has been ON for about 6 hours already and it's not even warm, at least not more than my Apogee Quartet.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine has been ON for about 6 hours already and it's not even warm, at least not more than my Apogee Quartet.

Oh, interesting. My UCX II gets really warm after a short time even when it has nothing to do. I wonder how this can be?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Another thing that is annoying is that if I turn the UCX II off then on, I have to restart my iMac for it to get the AI up. That’s why I’m leaving the UCX II On 24/7. The Apogee does not have ON/OFF switch so I’m use to leave my AI on.

Carib15

Stupid question: can the UCX II act as a stand alone DAC/headphone amp for iPhone/iPad via camera kit USB?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Oh, interesting. My UCX II gets really warm after a short time even when it has nothing to do. I wonder how this can be?

Is yours in a rack? Mine is on my desk as you can see in the above photo so ventilation is not an issue. I haven’t turn OFF mi iMac since day of purchase back in Oct 2017, same for any audio interface plugged into it,

ra990

Nice surge of discussion on this thing. I guess the first batches are arriving home. My first impressions - compared to the Babyface Pro (BFP), this is a little flimsier. It didn't feel quite as solid and things (relays?) are rattling inside when I move it, which adds to the flimsy feel.

Functionality wise, it sounds as good, if not better, than I expected it to. The mic pre has more gain than my BFP and the instrument inputs seem to sound better, maybe I finally have them setup correctly in TotalMixFX. The additional channels and features available in TotalMixFX is really awesome, again compared to the BFP. I think this will suit my needs for many years to come. I can't wait to use the direct recording functionality when I'm recording with a band.

Mine's been on for about 2 hours now and it is slightly warm to the touch. Nothing I'd be concerned over.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I think if you don't need a bus powered unit, this is a way more capable interface than the BFP.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I haven’t try the mic pre amps. Waiting for my son in law to come back from a band tour in Hawaii to bring back my 414C. I will check the instruments inputs tomorrow with my Nord keys. But so far very impressed with the UCX II sound quality.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Question for @MC_RME It's OK to leave the UCX II ON 24/7? That's the way I had my Apogee Quartet for the last 4 years without any issues. Any chance that the UCX II screen could suffer burn in?

All our products are build for 24/7. But no one can guarantee the lifetime of a TFT display. From experience and using that screen for about 10 years they usually not show 'burn in' signs, nor usually fail after some years. They might lose brightness a bit, though, which can even be compensated in the menu.

BTW, pic 2 - now if that isn't a nice 'desktop' setup. Fits perfectly, even from the looks.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
All our products are build for 24/7. But no one can guarantee the lifetime of a TFT display. From experience and using that screen for about 10 years they usually not show 'burn in' signs, nor usually fail after some years. They might lose brightness a bit, though, which can even be compensated in the menu.

BTW, pic 2 - now if that isn't a nice 'desktop' setup. Fits perfectly, even from the looks.

That’s what I thought. 24/7 ON it is :) BTW, where in the menu you adjust brightness? I see contrast only, though.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
things (relays?) are rattling inside when I move it

A few posts back I stated that there are no relays in this unit. The only thing that can 'rattle' are the four push buttons on the front. Put your finger over them and shake. Still rattle noise? Then the unit has a loose part inside and needs service.

The mic pre has more gain than my BFP

UCX II:
Gain range: 75 dB
- Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +18 dBu
- Maximum input level, Gain 75 dB: -57 dBu

BF Pro:
- Gain range: -11 dB up to +65 dB
- Maximum input level XLR, Gain 0 dB: +8 dBu (PAD +19 dBu)
- Maximum input level XLR, Gain 65 dB: -57 dBu (PAD -46 dBu)

As you see you get the same amplification in terms of sensitivity in both units. Claiming one has more gain is misleading. The main difference is that the UCX II doesn't need a PAD switch (relay).

Top Bottom