• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

ra990

A few posts back I stated that there are no relays in this unit. The only thing that can 'rattle' are the four push buttons on the front. Put your finger over them and shake. Still rattle noise? Then the unit has a loose part inside and needs service.

UCX II:
Gain range: 75 dB
- Maximum input level, Gain 0 dB: +18 dBu
- Maximum input level, Gain 75 dB: -57 dBu

BF Pro:
- Gain range: -11 dB up to +65 dB
- Maximum input level XLR, Gain 0 dB: +8 dBu (PAD +19 dBu)
- Maximum input level XLR, Gain 65 dB: -57 dBu (PAD -46 dBu)

As you see you get the same amplification in terms of sensitivity in both units. Claiming one has more gain is misleading. The main difference is that the UCX II doesn't need a PAD switch (relay).
Got you, I updated my post to strike through that statement. Thanks for the clarification. Also, you are right, the rattling would be the buttons at the front.

Here it is, center piece of my home studio.

20210825_222550.jpg
20210825_222527.jpg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Been listening for a couple of hours and really impressed with the headphone amp. Makes my AKG K371 sound like a $2000 pair of headphones LOL. @MC_RME you got a customer for life ;) During the weekend will check the mic and instruments pre amps. BTW, TotalMix rocks. It's so easy to setup and work with. Love this thing.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
TotalMix has ruined other interfaces for me. It's so awesome once you get the hang of it.

Agree. Apogee Maestro looks like a child’s toy compared with TotalMix.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is yours in a rack? Mine is on my desk as you can see in the above photo so ventilation is not an issue. I haven’t turn OFF mi iMac since day of purchase back in Oct 2017, same for any audio interface plugged into it,
Not a rack, but a shelf with poor ventilation. That might explain it. Heat is not an issue for me. Its just that every time i touch it i wonder about its energy consumption. I have an energy meter at home but have been too lazy to actually measure the power consumption. I read 12 watts somewhere but dont know if that is true.
Just to be clear: that is not a problem for me, and i am very happy with the UCX II but personally i would try not leaving it on 24/7 because of that.

wickawack

Quick question for those of you with a UCX II and a Mac (preferably M1): Can you get your UCX II functioning in macOS after turning it off then on from the front? The only way I can get this to work is to switch to another audio output in macOS prior to turning off the UCX II. Otherwise, applications try to play to the device which is no longer there, causing what I think is a buffer overflow or some other routing issues through coreaudio. Also odd is that when I turn it back on, it shows up as a new device with the same name. Seems like there is an issue with either the driver or macOS tearing down the audio device when it is turned off. I don't have any issues with it being recognized after restart. I'm on macOS 11.5.2.

edit: I see that @enricoclaudio is having the same behavior. Hopefully the above workaround of swapping outputs before turning off the UCX II is useful.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Quick question for those of you with a UCX II and a Mac (preferably M1): Can you get your UCX II functioning in macOS after turning it off then on from the front? The only way I can get this to work is to switch to another audio output in macOS prior to turning off the UCX II. Otherwise, applications try to play to the device which is no longer there, causing what I think is a buffer overflow or some other routing issues through coreaudio. Also odd is that when I turn it back on, it shows up as a new device with the same name. Seems like there is an issue with either the driver or macOS tearing down the audio device when it is turned off. I don't have any issues with it being recognized after restart. I'm on macOS 11.5.2.

edit: I see that @enricoclaudio is having the same behavior. Hopefully the above workaround of swapping outputs before turning off the UCX II is useful.

I reported the same issue. I’m also running macOS 11.5.2 in my 2017 27” iMac. I’m guessing this is not a “Hot Plugged” audio interface. Which is not an issue for me as I leave it ON 24/7.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What advantages does this have compared to MOTU Ultralite-mk5?
I can see better standalone operation, matrix mixing, BNC word clock, more driver options like multi-channel WASAPI devices.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What advantages does this have compared to MOTU Ultralite-mk5?
I can see better standalone operation, matrix mixing, BNC word clock, more driver options like multi-channel WASAPI devices.

I don't know the Ultralite, only the M4. But xompared to the Motu M4, RME has better drivers. Also, like @ra990 said, TotalMix FX really is a killer application. Another thing i use is the ARC remote by RME. I don't know if Motu has something like this.

sophicos

The TB situation is unchanged. USB 2.0 is good enough for 70 channels record PLUS 70 channels playback (RME MADIface Pro), the UFX II has only 20 channels per direction. TB for such a small amount of channels would just mean wasted money for a more expensive interface (same for USB 3).

Your comment on USB on new computers is misleading. USB 2.0 is always available. Simple and cheap (passive!) adapters to any kind of connector format are easy to get and these days a necessity to have anyway.

@MC_RME , does USB 2.0 compared to the TB/USB 3 would have any impact on latency? trying to think on my path to upgrade a multiface here...(using PCIE now)

temps

@MC_RME , does USB 2.0 compared to the TB/USB 3 would have any impact on latency? trying to think on my path to upgrade a multiface here...(using PCIE now)
It does not make a big difference. The UFX+ with a USB connection actually outperforms their HDSP PCI internal sound card.

RME does not use a standard USB implementation, so they have a gigantic performance advantage when it comes to both channel counts & latency over USB connections. This is presumably why they haven't rolled out TB across the range... there is simply no point. Increased cost and decreased compatibility for fractions of a millisecond improvement.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-c...erface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

RME using USB outperforms most Thunderbolt and Firewire interfaces, and some PCI Express ones as well. With the UFX+, 128 sample buffer RTL on USB is 7.548ms vs. 6.926 over TB. My Fireface UC over USB has 7.604ms RTL.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
How does the SNR of ADC work when changing the input gain or sensitivity? Do we keep the SNR of 115 dBA with the signal level at 1 dBu, gain at +12 dB and sensitivity at 13 dBu?
And respectively, what is the SNR of DACs when changing output levels?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor

This not quite what he asks for, if I understand you correctly, as the UCX II has selectable reference levels that one can add upto 12 dB gain. The UCX II implements that change of reference levels electronically while the ADI-2 DAC does it with relays.

The Babyface Pro FS has a reference level switch at the bottom, but I don't think that Amir tested that.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yface-pro-fs-portable-interface-review.12313/

Edit:

From https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yface-pro-fs-portable-interface-review.12313/ we have from a RME employee:

>>>One feature I would like to point out, related to the SNR measurement: The XLR output max level is +19 dBu balanced. This new FS version has a switch on the bottom that reduces the output level to +4 dBu max. This is very useful as active monitors these days are very sensitive. At +19 one would have to reduce the level in the digital domain a lot, loosing about 15 dB of SNR. Thanks to the switch the full SNR is moved down to that lower level. >>>

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
And to add: the up to 12 dB is digital gain, so SNR will be reduced by the amount of gain set.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the ADI-2 DAC does it with relays
I don't own a RME ADI-2 DAC fs, but I do use RME ADI-2 Pro fs and Pro fs R

Here is a measurement I've done of the later in Loopback mode.
That's SINAD, but it's pretty much equal to SNR (not weighted) for the left slope.

You see that the gain change, here, as it's done outside of the DAC, helps keeping SNR at the same level on a much wider scale:
You basically may keep SNR >112dB for a wide range between +24dBu and -2dBu
(Remember that's a loopback figure, DAC and ADC chained !)
index.php

If I try to extrapolate, I'd say:
If the gain change is digital (at DAC or ADC level), SNR is just moving on one and the same of the lines.
If that's done with external (amp) gain change, than you may change line, as we see here.

But @MC_RME might explain this much better than I could

Last edited:

jirodreams

Trying to decide if it's worth spending $1400 more on a UFX+ or go with the UCX II, switching from an Apollo Twin X (I rarely use UAD plugins and need more I/O plus latency is mediocre - both the UCX II and UFX+ would be a step up).

8 inputs + 8 over ADAT would be the max I use any time soon (sampler with 8 outs, a couple of other instruments and an Eventide H3000 would be the max simultaneous use) so the UCX II is fine there.

The only negative I see for the added expense is the UCX II's DA dynamic range being lower than either the Apollo line or the UFX+ (118dBA vs 115dBA) but I'm having a hard time quantifying what that might mean in real world terms.

One line of thinking is that I go with the UCX II (selling my Apollo makes it an even swap) now and if a TB3 (or TB4 or whatever the future holds) UFX+ replacement comes along in a couple of years that would be an upgrade path if I found myself wanting to.

Top Bottom