• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME adds Room EQ capability to TotalMix FX (UFX+, UFX II, UFX III and UCX II only)

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just saw this yesterday on RME forums and thought it was exciting news:
RME proudly presents: 9-band PEQ, Delay, Volume Calibration and Crossfeed - four very useful features for speaker surround setup and optimized headphone usage. Now available for our flagship interfaces UFX+, UFX II and UFX III in TotalMix 1.90 for Mac and Windows!
(full source)

Preview:
tmfx_roomeq.png

I can only hope this functionality finds its way to Babyface and ADI-2 DAC successors some day :)

EDIT [2024-01-25]: Seems UCX II support was added as well; updated title accordingly.

Last edited:

kongkong

Just saw this yesterday on RME forums and thought it was exciting news:

(full source)

Preview:
tmfx_roomeq.png

I can only hope this functionality finds its way to Babyface and ADI-2 DAC successors some day :)
That said what we can safely exclude (means no Room EQ):

- Fireface UFX, MADIface XT hw rev 1 (all existing units), HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 1 (firmware below 100)

- Fireface 802, UCX

- units without external DSP chip: Fireface UC, Digiface USB, Digiface AES, Babyface / Pro, all HDSPe cards (MADI FX see below), Digiface Dante, Digiface Ravenna

- ADI-2 series. DSP already maxed out (not to mention the limited number of channels...)

Products that should be able to get Room EQ* (no guarantee at this point that they do):

- MADIface XT hw rev 2, which is in development, not yet available

- HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 2, identified by firmware version 200 or higher

- Fireface 802 FS

- UCX II

Thanks for news.

But... Check below reply.:rolleyes:

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Forum Donor
That said what we can safely exclude (means no Room EQ):

- Fireface UFX, MADIface XT hw rev 1 (all existing units), HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 1 (firmware below 100)

- Fireface 802, UCX

- units without external DSP chip: Fireface UC, Digiface USB, Digiface AES, Babyface / Pro, all HDSPe cards (MADI FX see below), Digiface Dante, Digiface Ravenna

- ADI-2 series. DSP already maxed out (not to mention the limited number of channels...)

Products that should be able to get Room EQ* (no guarantee at this point that they do):

- MADIface XT hw rev 2, which is in development, not yet available

- HDSPe MADI FX hw rev 2, identified by firmware version 200 or higher

- Fireface 802 FS

- UCX II

Thanks for news.

But... Check below reply.:rolleyes:
Thanks, I did see that too.
But who knows, perhaps in some future product versions... Hope springs eternal :)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe add UCX II to the thread title, @dominikz ?

I can confirm it works. Official drivers and firmware are out for a week or so.
With room eq, delay and volume calibration it is now a standalone hardware DSP solution for a surround setup. Really fantastic.

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Forum Donor

With room eq, delay and volume calibration it is now a standalone hardware DSP solution for a surround setup. Really fantastic.
Thanks, just updated the title and added a clarification in initial post. IMHO this functionality significantly increases the value proposition of these (already amazing) interfaces :)

Atanasi

Forum Donor
The new Room EQ also adds a small feature that has been requested for a long time: output channels get Volume Calibration that allows up to 24 dB of attenuation. This way if you have sensitive speakers or headphones where the volume of 0 dB is dangerously loud even at lower reference levels, you can take advantage of Volume Calibration attenuation to make 0 dB an acceptable volume level.

There have been various ways to reset the volume to 0 dB by mistake, like double-clicking the fader or loading an unintended snapshot. Volume Calibration, like other Room EQ settings, are not loaded through snapshots. However, changing the Workspace includes Room EQ settings.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

This is most interesting indeed.

Are all frequencies freely assignable? Or are there limitations like for instance this one in the ADI-2 units?

IMG_0153.jpeg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is most interesting indeed.

Are all frequencies freely assignable? Or are there limitations like for instance this one in the ADI-2 units?

View attachment 355447

As far as i can see (no guarantees): All 9 bands can be set between 20-20k Hz, 0.4-9.9 Q and -20db to +20db. Bands 1, 8, 9 can be set to either bell, shelving, high pass or low pass, the others are fixed to bell.

1710108194807.png

markstein

I was so amazed reading this, however it seems, that RME still did not implement various high and low pass filters like especially Linkwitz Riley 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th order in their eq settings. Not understandable. So, this solution is - still - not usable to integrate subs.

Could you please check and confirm whether I am right?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was so amazed reading this, however it seems, that RME still did not implement various high and low pass filters like especially Linkwitz Riley 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th order in their eq settings. Not understandable. So, this solution is - still - not usable to integrate subs.

Could you please check and confirm whether I am right?
Answered here, although i don't know how to invert the phase: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38865

tl;dr: Use room eq in combination with the other eq setting and set 2 HP/LP filters with Q 0.7.

Also: check your attitude. We are talking about free upgrades here.

markstein

Thank you for this link, valuable information.

Btw, I checked my attitude, and it's okay.

I indeed appreciate RME a lot. Well engineered products, very good documentation, incl. measurements, stable software. Free functionality updates. I currently own an ADI-2 PRO FS R and would not hesitate purchasing a RME product based on the technical datasheet only.

However, RME sometimes seems a little bit "stubborn" when discussing new feature requests. I remember MC stating that the number of PEQs in Total Mix would be sufficient for any use case and that a delay will not be supported as a Fireface is no loudspeaker management device. Now they implemented Room EQ. And stopped half way by not implementing a proper x-over solution. This is a little bit a wasted opportunity to make a good add-on a really great add-on.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this link, valuable information.

Btw, I checked my attitude, and it's okay.

I indeed appreciate RME a lot. Well engineered products, very good documentation, incl. measurements, stable software. Free functionality updates. I currently own an ADI-2 PRO FS R and would not hesitate purchasing a RME product based on the technical datasheet only.

However, RME sometimes seems a little bit "stubborn" when discussing new feature requests. I remember MC stating that the number of PEQs in Total Mix would be sufficient for any use case and that a delay will not be supported as a Fireface is no loudspeaker management device. Now they implemented Room EQ. And stopped half way by not implementing a proper x-over solution. This is a little bit a wasted opportunity to make a good add-on a really great add-on.

Nope, it's not. You get something for free and take the opportunity to complain that there isn't more.

markstein

Just to put my reaction into perspective:

I just purchased a Fireface UFX II due to the added room eq feature. Room eq is really a game changer, especially due to the possibility of adding delay. So yes, thank you RME for adding this (even is there is still room for a little bit more ;-) )!

If everything works as expected, the UFX will replace my minidsp SHD which is currently used to integrate 2 mains and 2 subs and to manage room modes.

Top Bottom