• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral closed-backs with good detail, imaging and sound stage?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you think about the build quality and sound quality of S4R? On par with some of the finest you've tried?

Finest... no, realistic...yes, its up there.
A closed back for €400.- (or € 300 for B-choice) and with some boost in the bass and a very slight upper treble reduction it sounds really, really good on well made recordings.
It is rather ruthless (as in not forgiving/smoothed over), when a recording is poorer in quality it will be very audible.

Can be driven from a phone.

You would not have to mind the microphonics, small adjustability range of the cups (fits me well) and relatively small ear space (in height, depth is fine).
Note... you can buy literally every part of this headphone (should you need it). Construction is very solid.

I think the most popular recommendation for closed back headphones nowadays is 371

The K371 is like a finicky toy in comparison. Of course there is a substantial price difference.

Last edited:

cheapmessiah

When you want to play loud and are looking in the € 400.- range and don't mind to EQ up the bass consider the OLLO S4R (1.1).
It has 'replaced' my DT1770 and Audeze Sine.
The S4R (1.1) is quite microphonic though.

I'm looking to add a closed back to my collection, the Dt1770 I could get for 200€ used that's why I asked.

I was originally looking for the aeon 2 noir, but have since gotten a couple of planars and was considering to maybe get a dynamic to have some variety, but I want something that can reach Harman 2018 and get as loud and we'll performing as a planar.

I had my eye on the ollo, the focal celestee and radiance, but I'm open to less expensive options too since my primary headphones are open backs and I want closed backs for specific times if the day when some sound leak control is needed.

The shuoer S12 planar IEMs are a good alternative too since I don't really see much usage difference between an IEM and a closed back headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't know about IEMs. I don't like things pushed in my ear canal (tried a few times) so can't commend on it.
The DT1770 (with some EQ) is 'better' than DT770.
€ 200.- is a 'correct' price for the DT1770 (when in good condition).

cheapmessiah

Finest... no, realistic...yes, its up there.
A closed back for €400.- (or € 300 for B-choice) and with some boost in the bass and a very slight upper treble reduction it sounds really, really good on well made recordings.
It is rather ruthless (as in not forgiving/smoothed over), when a recording is poorer in quality it will be very audible.

Can be driven from a phone.

You would not have to mind the microphonics, small adjustability range of the cups (fits me well) and relatively small ear space (in height, depth is fine).
Note... you can buy literally every part of this headphone (should you need it). Construction is very solid.

The K371 is like a finicky toy in comparison. Of course there is a substantial price difference.

Weird question, is there a way to tell the if the s4r is the 1.1 version, I found a good price on a local store.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
headband and pads are very different.

The 1.1 version is on the left, the original S4R (1.0) is the one on the right.
OLLO.png

Geert

Major Contributor
When you want to play loud and are looking in the € 400.- range and don't mind to EQ up the bass consider the OLLO S4R (1.1).

Small note; in your brilliant review you have "Below the similar priced Beyerdynamic DT700 PRO X vs the S4R". However, you can almost buy 2 of these Beyerdynamics for the price of the S4R. (Which is why I bought the Beyerdynamic recently).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ah thanks... Copy paste error, fixed now.

cheapmessiah

Are there any measurements and corrected FR curve to harman for the S4R 1.1? I believe oratory has the S4R 1.0 on his presets.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

cheapmessiah

The bass shelf seems easy enough to match to the k371 thats quite harman compliant, but from the pina gain onwards seems complicated to do without the data of the measurements and it gets even more convoluted when i think in terms of matching the ollo curve to the k371 on those measurments then using oratory's corrections.

I guess that for trying if the headphones can produce the volume i want without audible distortions with the bass shelf its usable.

Thanks a lot man!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Stumbled on another cheap and good sounding headphone (with some minor niggles).
The Status Audio CB-1 is something good for portable and studio usage at very low cost (< $ 100.-)

Top Bottom