• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Closed Back Choices

Misguided

Hi

I am soon to be moving to London and would like a pair of closed backs to take around with me for the tube and work. I have a pair of Sundaras which I use at home and especially enjoy the detailed sound and the wide soundstage. I would like to get as close to this as possible with a closed back pair. I will be able to EQ as I plan on getting a Qudelix 4k. My budget is under £200 but I would prefer to spend around £100 as they are going to be shoved in my work bag for the most part. From my research so far it is very much looking like Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm are the best option but I have to admit I'm not keen on the fixed cable. Also looking at AKG K271. Not that keen on IEMs.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in my price range to consider?

Thanks in advance

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am soon to be moving to London and would like a pair of closed backs to take around with me for the tube and work.
You should know that no closed-back, over-ear headphone will isolate you below ~300Hz: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/table/113574
They all mostly attenuate high frequency noise.
If you want LF isolation, then you'd have to use IEMs, or ANC, or both.

I have a pair of Sundaras which I use at home and especially enjoy the detailed sound and the wide soundstage. I would like to get as close to this as possible with a closed back pair.
Won't be easy as soundstage and detail in headphones is not a very well researched phenomenon.

My budget is under £200 but I would prefer to spend around £100 as they are going to be shoved in my work bag for the most part. From my research so far it is very much looking like Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm are the best option but I have to admit I'm not keen on the fixed cable.
On my DT990, the cable broke at the point where it meets the ear cup, after storing it in the official travel case once. So I'd recommend a removable cable.
The DT 700 Pro X has one, but it's expensive.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in my price range to consider?
Shure SRH440 or SRH840 (but not the new A variants)
AKG K371
Beyerdynamic DT 150 (if you need the best isolation, but don't want IEMs or ANC)

Last edited:
OP
M

Misguided

Thank you. I will look into those headphones. I know a perfect solution doesn’t exist but something that I can enjoy music on without feeling too much like I am missing out by not listening to it on my Sundaras.

I have some IEMs and they are ok (Moondrop Chu) but I don’t really like having them in for long periods of time.

OP
M

Misguided

Just re-reading and the lack of noise cancelling maybe an issue. Will do more research, appreciate the advice.

isostasy

Thank you. I will look into those headphones. I know a perfect solution doesn’t exist but something that I can enjoy music on without feeling too much like I am missing out by not listening to it on my Sundaras.

I have some IEMs and they are ok (Moondrop Chu) but I don’t really like having them in for long periods of time.
What about IEMs do you not like? Etymotic ER2XR is my commuting set, they are the only earphones which stay in my ears and are really comfortable once you get used to the fit. If your main issue with IEMs is the actual sensation of having things in your ears, this might be worse rather than better for you though. They are the best option for isolation.

You don't say where you're moving form or how much time you've spent in London, but I personally would find headphones far too hot on the tube. Some lines are extremely loud as well which would necessitate ANC for me (if I didn't have my Etys).

OP
M

Misguided

What about IEMs do you not like? Etymotic ER2XR is my commuting set, they are the only earphones which stay in my ears and are really comfortable once you get used to the fit. If your main issue with IEMs is the actual sensation of having things in your ears, this might be worse rather than better for you though. They are the best option for isolation.

You don't say where you're moving from or how much time you've spent in London, but I personally would find headphones far too hot on the tube. Some lines are extremely loud as well which would necessitate ANC for me (if I didn't have my Etys).
I don’t really find them comfortable for long periods. I bought some Moondrop Chu just to try out IEMs and they are ok but I found I’m not really keen on them for long periods.

I’m having a rethink and I think you are right about the isolation and heat on the tube so I am thinking about buying some Truthear Crinacle IEMs to use. I’m pretty sure they will be ok for short periods and will deliver a good quality sound. I may just leave it at that and not bother with a pair for when I am in the office. I will be working from home for the most part and be using my Sundaras there. I did find it annoying with my Moondrop Chus that I didn’t get all the way through an album with them before I wanted to take them out.

I have tried some Sony WH1000MX4 and they are nice but I wasn’t that into them. I think noise cancelling is out for now at least. May revisit closed backs later.

OP
M

Misguided

Hi.

Thought I'd update to let you know I am using my new Truthear Hexas today and they are very nice, much more comfortable than my Moondrop Chus and they have a very nice sound. I went for the Hexa over the Zero as the reviews suggested they were more neutral sounding which I prefer. Thanks for getting me to consider IEMs, the isolation is great and they are much nicer to wear in the heat. The sound from the Hexa is very impressive for the cost.

Top Bottom