• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral closed-backs with good detail, imaging and sound stage?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Looking for a good pair of closed-backs so I can see what that world is all about. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I might check out? Looking at beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohm, but don't know what kind of compromises might be involved here. My limited experience with closed-backs is taht they tend to be bass-heavy, so that is a concern as well. Look forward to hearing any thoughts! And if you have anything you want to sell or trade, please feel free to reach out. Thanks!

Zim

Forum Donor
If what you mean by "neutral" is the Harman curve, then the AKG K371 is one of the go-to options, and of course, if you have the money and want something closer to "neutral", then there's the Dan Clark Stealth.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
is "neutral"or "flat" just another way of talking about sticking to the harman curve?

tomtrp

is "neutral"or "flat" just another way of talking about sticking to the harman curve?
Basically yes, but remember it is perfectly fine to tune the bass to suit your personal preference.
From my own experience, I find the Harman 13 bass shelf(2-3db less than Harman 18) sounds more neutral. Bass boost is not purely preference by the test subject in the research, some bass boost is required anyway by science, backed up by equal-loudness/compensation from 80phon to 70/75phon depending on your listening level.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Basically yes, but remember it is perfectly fine to tune the bass to suit your personal preference.
From my own experience, I find the Harman 13 bass shelf(2-3db less than Harman 18) sounds more neutral. Bass boost is not purely preference by the test subject in the research, some bass boost is required anyway by science, backed up by equal-loudness/compensation from 80phon to 70/75phon depending on your listening level.
thank you! that makes sense, since the bass frequencies have to move a bigger speaker structure and push more air around to achieve same relative volume as treble. what does 80phon vs 75phone mean?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always for a budget alternative, I suggest the DT-150 with replaced pads, the DT-100 velour pads.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Less budget friendly but my choice for closed:
DT1770 (bass ports partially sealed, velour pads and treble filter)
Audeze Sine but with bigger pads (otherwise comfort sucks) + treble peak filter.

I got both second hand which made them the correct price range.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Less budget friendly but my choice for closed:
DT1770 (bass ports partially sealed, velour pads and treble filter)
Audeze Sine but with bigger pads (otherwise comfort sucks) + treble peak filter.

I got both second hand which made them the correct price range.
Are those mods things you offer or things I would do myself?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only the filters. Mods one has to do them selves.
DT1770 is just partially blocking 2 small holes.
Audeze is fitting different pads.

cheapmessiah

Only the filters. Mods one has to do them selves.
DT1770 is just partially blocking 2 small holes.
Audeze is fitting different pads.

Hey solderdude, do you know if the dt1770 can be eqed to Harman without them distorting at high volume?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT1770 will have to be reduced in level for the bass so distortion will decrease slightly.
Beyerdynamic drivers are not known for low distortion at higher levels.

cheapmessiah

The DT1770 will have to be reduced in level for the bass so distortion will decrease slightly.
Beyerdynamic drivers are not known for low distortion at higher levels.
I explained myself poorly, sorry, you are indeed right, to bring them to harman its is primarly needed to cut some bass and bring up most of the highs from 1,5k onwards, what I meant was more on the lines of do they get audible distortion when pushed, I remember my DT770s didnt like to be pushed into producing a lot of volume.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I cannot measure them above 100dB SPL. The DT1770, just like the DT770 doesn't like to play bass very loud.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you want to play loud and are looking in the € 400.- range and don't mind to EQ up the bass consider the OLLO S4R (1.1).
It has 'replaced' my DT1770 and Audeze Sine.
The S4R (1.1) is quite microphonic though.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you want to play loud and are looking in the € 400.- range and don't mind to EQ up the bass consider the OLLO S4R (1.1).
It has 'replaced' my DT1770 and Audeze Sine.
The S4R (1.1) is quite microphonic though.
What do you think about the build quality and sound quality of S4R? On par with some of the finest you've tried?

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the most popular recommendation for closedback headphones nowadays is 371. I bought one but to my surprise it just does not sound very good even after EQ and paired with respectable sources. I will go with the other one in this thread and say if you also like excellent build quality the NDH20 is going to deliver, and it handles EQ quite good.

Top Bottom