• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neutral bookshelf speakers @ $2000?

veeceem

So I'm the kind of person who believe less in my ears and more on data/science/measurements.
Topping DX7 Pro arriving next week and NAD M22 v2 comes next month or so.
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers (can also be full range floorstanding, but prefer bookshelf) in the $2000 range that has good measurements (in other word, neutral)
Can anyone recommend some? I'm thinking of Revel speakers.
Thanks
Edit: no AHB2 available, no DIY nc400 available, NAD M22 v2 is the only option.

Last edited:

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I know I plug axiom a lot, but the m5hps and the m22s are seriously good and way less than 2k.

here are the nrc measurements of the m5hp

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

product page
https://www.axiomaudio.com/m5-bookshelf-speakers

with stands they are still like 400+ under your budget.

another plus with axiom is that they do everything in house including molding of all plastic, many metal parts, populate their pcbs in house, and generally make everything to order

Willem

Major Contributor
I am using Harbeth P3ESRs as my desktop speakers, and I think they are among the smoothest and most natural small speakers on the market. They do not have a lot of bass and cannot fill a large room, but within their limitations they are glorious. They may be a bit over your budget, depending on your territory.

MSNWatch

And for the same price the Benchmark AHB2 power amps will measure a lot better than the NAD. Or better yet save your money and run the Neumann speakers directly with the DX7 Pro.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And for the same price the Benchmark AHB2 power amps will measure a lot better than the NAD. Or better yet save your money and run the Neumann speakers directly with the DX7 Pro.

Some say the KH120 is on the bright side. As for amplification there many Hypex based amps which measure far better than anyone needs for half the price as the NAD. Try Nord, for example.

Another speaker possibility is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra II. I second the Revel M106.

MSNWatch

Some say the KH120 is on the bright side. As for amplification there many Hypex based amps which measure far better than anyone needs for half the price as the NAD. Try Nord, for example.

Another speaker possibility is the Ascend Acoustics Sierra II. I second the Revel M106.

KH120 measurements are pretty good:

1571931214430.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KH120 measurements are pretty good:

View attachment 36821

It's flat, but a downward sloping response is preferred according to research by Toole and Olive. A flat response will sound bright to most listeners. Some will like it. There is a thread about the preferred house curve somewhere around here.

MSNWatch

It's flat, but a downward sloping response is preferred according to research by Toole and Olive. A flat response will sound bright to most listeners. Some will like it. There is a thread about the preferred house curve somewhere around here.

At a reasonable distance those high frequencies will be attenuated. I have owned some of the flattest measuring speakers around and once you measure them from a reasonable distance - say 10 ft or so there is always that downward slope.

LS50 anechoic don't have that downward slope either:

1571932529809.png

OP
V

veeceem

Just curious, what sites are those with speaker measurements?

OP
V

veeceem

And how "neutral" is defined? I want to understand a little about reading this graph, too. Thanks

mkawa

Forum Donor
i _really_ dislike that KEF coaxial driver design by the way. found it boomy and tinny. not surprised at the fr graph above

are you planning on pairing with a sub?

mkawa

Forum Donor
axiom will make custom actives out of most of the speakers in their lineup.. i was considering m22 actives before i bought my first set of m80s.

MSNWatch

And whatever you get you will need to do room correction at 300-400hz and below to optimize the sound you hear. This will likely make a bigger impact (second only to the quality of the recording) than virtually any amp or preamp that you choose. That's probably true for most speakers as well.

Top Bottom