• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann ndh30 or audeze mm500 for mixing? Which one would you recommend?

KehaDNb

I can only use mini speakers and want to upgrade to a firm known headphone which you could easily mix on . Which of the above is a better choice ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Neither looks particularly good before EQ:
Audeze MM-500 vs Neumann NDH-30.png
Sources: MM-500, NDH-30

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Can I mix on headphones?

No. But in all seriousness, headphones can be a secret weapon and it really doesn’t matter what they sound like…

Over time, after constantly listening back to my work from different studios on those headphones I really started to learn them. They became sort of a compass. Wherever I went… It became a pattern for me to reference these headphones to see if what I was hearing was “right”…

I learned them, I knew them, I trusted them. It didn’t matter whether or not I loved them…

So, can you mix on headphones? Probably. I just think you really need to put some time into learning them first…

Mark Hornsby
Recording Magazine, March 2020
]/quote]

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have several pairs of headphones, included Focals, BD's, Audeze etc. The Neumann NDH30's are the ones I use for mixing (when I use headphones). Most of my mixing is done with Neumann KH120's/KH750 and KH310's. But I find it helpful to use headphones so check details.

1212221537.jpg
1024221446.jpg

jae

Major Contributor
Buy an open headphone like HD6XX or DCA RT open and EQ it with Oratory's Harman preset

markanini

Major Contributor
If I mixed exclusively on headphones, or not, I would listen on whatever speakers I could find, my brothers stereo, my friends car stereo etc
That's how I found mixing on headphones exclusively is gives results that don't translate to other systems, for me.
Either way I do check my mixes at least once on Shure SRH440 for mids and Sony EX15 for subs.

Dharmaone

I have several pairs of headphones, included Focals, BD's, Audeze etc. The Neumann NDH30's are the ones I use for mixing (when I use headphones). Most of my mixing is done with Neumann KH120's/KH750 and KH310's. But I find it helpful to use headphones so check details.

View attachment 252832View attachment 252833

How do you find the NDH-30 vs Audezes? I have the Neumann's on order but curious about Audeze planars

teashea

I have a dozen headphones including an Audeze LCDX, Neumann NHH20's and NDH 30's. I prefer the NDH30's over all any other headphone I have for mixing. They are very flat and revealing.

williamr

I have a dozen headphones including an Audeze LCDX, Neumann NHH20's and NDH 30's. I prefer the NDH30's over all any other headphone I have for mixing. They are very flat and revealing.
I'm curious about the differences you hear in the NDH20 vs 30. Similar tunings or are they different beasts?

Last edited:

teashea

They are very related in terms of sound. You can get other opinions in YT review videos. For me the 30's are a bit more full and deep in the bass. I like them both very much. Of course the 20's can be used for tracking while the 30's cannot.

Top Bottom