• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

kimmosto

Let us know if we can finally hang up our tools and just kick back and relax. From what I’ve seen of Neumann’s measurements, this is the one of the best commercial speakers of this size; (1/2 cu foot) as of 2022. The frequency response, phase response, and non linear distortion is first rate.
Just reminding that linearity of directivity index and other power averages and individual off-axis responses is not the only requirement related to directivity. I'm not big fan of horns and wave guides - especially deep ones because sound is not very open and natural and spectrum of acoustic resolution rises towards HF without significant directivity at LF. Plain tweeter with proper box or flush mounted half space design in a good acoustics offers better sound imo. Horn/wave guide concept can offer some benefits in very bad/harsh acoustics of course.
Also bass level with 0 dB setting is too high for finite room volume and distances to walls, but fortunately that can be reduced with bass switch or app.

kimmosto

What do you have to back that opinion up?
Maybe I don't understand your question but this sounds like "opinion" is just random thought or imagination without any experience or other background in real life. For me opinion is personal without requirement of applicability for others, but could be based on several designs, comparisons and experience.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Maybe I don't understand your question but this sounds like "opinion" is just random thought or imagination without any experience or other background in real life. For me opinion is personal without requirement of applicability for others, but could be based on several designs, comparisons and experience.
Opinion is your personal thing informed by whatever you've done in your life up to now, expert or not.

What I'd like is to understand your claims with you supplying the data that convinced you that deep waveguides sound unnatural and that traditional mounting is better.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ease.

That a waveguide can sound closed has been reported by others before. However, I would really like to learn more about how "closed" and "open" is described in detail, and which parameters are taken as explenatory. For example, I have found Genelec 8030A as sounding very "open," despite its waveguide. They use a dome tweeter in the waveguide. I find my 90 degree waveguides to sound more "closed," and I use a compression driver. So what explains what?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'd take a 3-way over a 2-way any day
If the KH310 and KH150 were priced the same I would have chosen the 310

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Don’t you feel they’re a bit long in the tooth these days?

3125b

Major Contributor
Don’t you feel they’re a bit long in the tooth these days?
The KH310 is still a very capable speaker, even of the newest, DSP controlled generation few can match it. It has no flaws other that the inherent limits of its size and construction, but even new TOTL drivers and more powerful amps wouldn't change that very much while making it way more expensive. So ... no.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Locally KH310 has dropped significantly in price and is cheaper than KH150.
Either they are running out KH310 or this is the market value of both.

AudioJester

Forum Donor

tktran303

Forum Donor
@AudioJester

I don't know about permanent price drops. To me that's a bona-fide Sales pricing from Sounds Easy.

Why do I say this? There was a sale at SoundsEasy for KH120 in March 2021. At that time the KH120 was AUD $875 but now it's gone up. I was advised that was the case by the rep. I suspect the same will happen with KH310, after this sale ends.

Don't tempt Pearljam5000, I think he's been looking for his end-game speaker for like... forever...

tktran303

Forum Donor
Just reminding that linearity of directivity index and other power averages and individual off-axis responses is not the only requirement related to directivity. I'm not big fan of horns and wave guides - especially deep ones because sound is not very open and natural and spectrum of acoustic resolution rises towards HF without significant directivity at LF. Plain tweeter with proper box or flush mounted half space design in a good acoustics offers better sound imo. Horn/wave guide concept can offer some benefits in very bad/harsh acoustics of course.
Also bass level with 0 dB setting is too high for finite room volume and distances to walls, but fortunately that can be reduced with bass switch or app.

Interestingly, Dennis Murphy's BMR Monitor 3-way was (no waveguide) was preferred to a wide variety of other sub US$3000 book-shelf speakers including the those bought in by dealers. I don't think anyone expected that, except for maybe Dennis, who eschews the use of waveguides. This was at the recent Arizona AV Club event.

The speakers were:
ATC SCM 11
KLH Model 5
KEF R3
Sonus Faber Lumina II
Totem Sky
Philharmonic BMR Monitors
Polk Audio Legend L200
LSA Signature 80
Tekton Design Impact Monitors,
Monitor Audio 100 Gold,
Buchardt Audio S400 MkII
Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary
GoldenEar BRX
GR-Research X-LS Encore
Falcon Acoustics Q7
SpeakerLab Point 1+

Just because it has a waveguide doesn't mean it's better. I agree.

Anyway, guess I better get back to finishing these, with that ol' tool VituixCAD2

best regards,
Thanh

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

It's in Australia :(

AudioJester

Forum Donor
@AudioJester

I don't know about permanent price drops. To me that's a bona-fide Sales pricing from Sounds Easy.

Why do I say this? There was a sale at SoundsEasy for KH120 in March 2021. At that time the KH120 was AUD $875 but now it's gone up. I was advised that was the case by the rep. I suspect the same will happen with KH310, after this sale ends.

Don't tempt Pearljam5000, I think he's been looking for his end-game speaker for like... forever...
I know what you mean, been buying on sale from sounds easy for years.
Interestingly other shops have been selling at that price for a while, predatind thd sounds easy sale. Since kh150 was available I have not seen kh310 priced higher than it?

tktran303

Forum Donor
That’s great. Sometimes we do get little wins from the Australia tax.

My wild guess is that about 80% of things cost far more here, than than how much they cost in Europe.

Most of the time we’re like the Middle East, or Israel!!

Top Bottom