• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 370 89.8%

• Total voters

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you mean the exact 60Hz ,ok,you're right,I didn't point it so exact.
Say 55Hz,50Hz?
No difference to me,plenty of music material there,and material that matters.
You did point it very exactly
"In this graph we see over 6% at 60Hz at 86db."
which was obviously wrong.
Then you mixed up Amirs non anechoic measurements of a single loudspeaker to the statement of Neumann of a pair in half space.
By the way even 10% 2nd harmonic distortion in that low region can be inaudible, the most audible problems of 2-way loudspeakers can be seen at multitone measurements which mess up higher frequencies where audible distortion limits get lower.

DearSX

On axis should always be flat. It is the predicted-in-room response that we like to see sloped down which it is here. The effect there strongly depends on how much bass there is. If bass is deficient, then the speaker will sound bright. This one does have bass.

That said, when I put on my Dan Clark Stealth headphone on and listened to the same tracks, it sounded dull in highs so maybe they are a big exaggerated here.
Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

Sokel

Master Contributor
You did point it very exactly
"In this graph we see over 6% at 60Hz at 86db."
which was obviously wrong.
Then you mixed up Amirs non anechoic measurements of a single loudspeaker to the statement of Neumann of a pair in half space.
Also even 10% 2nd harmonic distortion in that region can be inaudible, the most audible problems of 2-way loudspeakers can be seen at multitone measurements which mess up higher frequencies where distortion limits get lower.
I knew it should write "about" but in my language (s) doesn't translate as I would like it to sound,so yes,I was wrong,next time I'll be vague :).
Also that's not only H2,is THD even if H2 is way lower,(edit) H3 is the high one.
(to be exact)

Sokel

Master Contributor
That 10% 2nd harmonic was just an example about audibility and not referring to Amirs measurements.
So,to know for the next time,this means anechoic,in half space?

Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m in typical listening conditions (pair / full range)98 dB(C) SPL

Ajax

Forum Donor
The choice of an ethernet input implies a built in DAC. IF it's SINAD and quality complements the rest of the build then US$2k plus say 2 x US$500 for subs and you a have a complete SOTA system for a small to mid size room. IF it's for firmware upgrades only then add a topping D10 + streamer and you are still just over US$3k.

The value / performance ratio of today's hifi is improving exponentially.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Exactly, even the SPL the specs of Neumann are as precise as it can get:

Sine wave output with a THD < 0.5 % at 1 m in half space95 dB SPL (>97 Hz)
Max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)116.8 dB SPL
Max. SPL in full space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 100 Hz and 6 kHz)110.8 dB SPL
Bass capability: Max. SPL in half space at 3% THD at 1m (averaged between 50 Hz and 100 Hz)105.1 dB SPL
Max. short term SPL with IEC-weighted noise (IEC 60268-5) at 1 m, in typical listening conditions108 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m in typical listening conditions (pair / full range)98 dB(C) SPL
Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (pair with subwoofer)104 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair full range)88 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single / pair with subwoofer)87 / 93 dB(C) SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL fullrange113 dB SPL
Dolby DARDT. Max SPL bass managed119 dB SPL

Would be very surprised if someone proves any of them incorrect.
Channeling @mhardy6647

Look at how, ahem, optimistic the Dolby specs are.

JDS

Chinese companies like Topping and such are making kilobuck traditional audiophile electronics obsolete (and absurdly overpriced). Companies like Neumann are making speakers that make expensive monkey coffins (and standalone amplifiers!) obsolete.

Spend $2500 on a pair of these active monitors, the right inexpensive DAC/streamer, and you will outperform 90% of the exotic glitter in the hotel rooms at the audio shows. No firehose-sized cables required.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chinese companies like Topping and such are making kilobuck traditional audiophile electronics obsolete (and absurdly overpriced). Companies like Neumann are making speakers that make expensive monkey coffins (and standalone amplifiers!) obsolete.

Spend $2500 on a pair of these active monitors, the right inexpensive DAC/streamer, and you will outperform 90% of the exotic glitter in the hotel rooms at the audio shows. No firehose-sized cables required.
Well.... comme ci, comme ça. Some small speakers simply cannot keep up with large speakers. The Genelec KH 120 II is a lone wolf leading the pack though from what I see here.

JDS

Well.... comme ci, comme ça. Some small speakers simply cannot keep up with large speakers. The Genelec KH 120 II is a lone wolf leading the pack though from what I see here.
Sure -- deep, powerful bass remains expensive. Filling huge rooms remains expensive. Neumann solves those problems, too.

Soria Moria

This or KH80 for recreational nearfield usage? (1 meter ish). I assume KH80 would be the wiser choice.

fineMen

Major Contributor
A great offer to all who tend to get 'anal' about precision in reproducing the sound engineers objectives. A KEF R3 may do the same to all who feel a bit more relaxed (considering the listening room's own signature). In both cases a subwoofer would close the case of speaker neutrality entirely. As awsome as the KEFs.

michaelahess

So how would you best use these for surround content?

My office is my listening and gaming room.

I have a small 8" pioneer sub with Yamaha receiver doing reasonable dsp for my Elac DBR65's.

Would a decent receiver with line outs (Denon 3800) reduce the quality in any noticable way? Then my surrounds can keep doing their thing, but I benefit from these, for music.

And what would be an appropriate sub? My room is under 20x20x9.

Even with a higher price than I'd like, they actually seem like a great value!

Owl

If your source material were CD's or LP's, what would be the best way to control volume?

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Outstanding performance and great price in consideration of SOTA tonality, build quality, sound levels achieved with minimal distortion. Now I have to do some extra hours of work because I must get a pair…Thank you Amir!!

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is really incredible stuff, except for one thing:

Low notes were accompanied by cool puffs of air landing on my nose!
Ports shouldn't do this. If they have that much velocity... That's not great.

Top Bottom