• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 Disassembly Pictures

paudio

Hello everybody,

I have a SMPS of one KH120A that broke recently. I send it to Neumann service and they proposed to change main board for 200 euros more than the price of a new speaker.

I'm thinking buying only the main PCB and change it by myself but i wonder if each PCB is calibrated independantly for each speakers and if i will need to adjust screws on the main board? Or are the calibration screws here to calibrate the main board itself?

Thanks a lot if you have the answer!
They would install the mainboard and then calibrate the speaker most likely. Seems weird that they want to charge you more for the repair than a new unit.

badspeakerdesigner

They would install the mainboard and then calibrate the speaker most likely. Seems weird that they want to charge you more for the repair than a new unit.

Not to me, my experience with nuemann support is really bad, as in, I have no interest in their products bad despite how performant they are.

paudio

Not to me, my experience with nuemann support is really bad, as in, I have no interest in their products bad despite how performant they are.
You should be specific about the repair cost quote and the replacement speaker cost. I am guessing you are comparing repair cost against buying a used single unit?

Grantib

The repair cost is 848 euros for changing the main board. A single new unit (brand new, not refurbished) is 649 euros. It's sad in 2023 not to have a repair price competitive with new units, this is indeed an ecological aberration.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I chuckle at cable woo whenever I see just how cheapo the internal cabling is in expensive speakers.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If you can do it yourself and have a lot of time and skill, a repair can be worthwhile. The official service is available but costs accordingly.

Sometimes only the electrolytic capacitors in the SMPS are broken. I have already heard of two such cases among my acquaintances. Apparently the lifetime becomes critical when the KH120a are over 10 years old. I rather sold mine when they were still good and bought new small monitors - maybe for the next 10 years?

paudio

If you can do it yourself and have a lot of time and skill, a repair can be worthwhile. The official service is available but costs accordingly.

Sometimes only the electrolytic capacitors in the SMPS are broken. I have already heard of two such cases among my acquaintances. Apparently the lifetime becomes critical when the KH120a are over 10 years old. I rather sold mine when they were still good and bought new small monitors - maybe for the next 10 years?
I read a forum post describing ask the failed components usually include one of the amp ICs and a MOSFET plus several components.

An electronics shop might be able to do the repair especially with the hints in that post.

paudio

The repair cost is 848 euros for changing the main board. A single new unit (brand new, not refurbished) is 649 euros. It's sad in 2023 not to have a repair price competitive with new units, this is indeed an ecological aberration.
That's pretty terrible service. Still they offer you a discounted unit at least. I would argue with em a bunch.

If this is direct support maybe try throw the dealer you bought them at. They may be able to advocate better with Neumann and get you a repair or offer you a discounted replacement.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

I'm almost sure my KH120 pair are already a decade old now. Hmmmn, I wonder if they'll last me another good 10 years before needing repair/some component replacement done. When they do eventually die out, I would prefer to switch to passive coaxials that I can simply amplify and DSP EQ externally myself.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I'm almost sure my KH120 pair are already a decade old now. Hmmmn, I wonder if they'll last me another good 10 years before needing repair/some component replacement done.

Good luck!

When they do eventually die out, I would prefer to switch to passive coaxials that I can simply amplify and DSP EQ externally myself.

It would also be possible to connect an equalizer in front of the KH120. Where is the problem? I'm not sure I understand the objection correctly.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Good luck!

It would also be possible to connect an equalizer in front of the KH120. Where is the problem? I'm not sure I understand the objection correctly.

Not a problem if by that time I still feel like keeping them. I have been thinking for a while now of switching them for something else. Though, my left KH120 is stuck to its (old original) L bracket due to over-tightening and completely stripping of the screw head. My compact Dremel was broken/unusable at the time so I attempted to used a regular sized angle grinder -- which only made things worse! Eventually, I just gave up. I would post a picture of my "handiwork", BUT, it's too ugly and embarrasing so I won't.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Not a problem if by that time I still feel like keeping them. I have been thinking for a while now of switching them for something else. Though, my left KH120 is stuck to its (old original) L bracket due to over-tightening and completely stripping of the screw head. My compact Dremel was broken/unusable at the time so I attempted to used a regular sized angle grinder -- which only made things worse! Eventually, I just gave up. I would post a picture of my "handiwork", BUT, it's too ugly and embarrasing so I won't.

Yes, that's how it can happen. I had these Neumann table stands. Quite a bad design. I had to tighten the screws very firmly so that the boxes did not tilt. Later they were very difficult to loosen. On top of that, the screw for the height adjustment crushes the tube. These ridiculous stands are not worth the money in my opinion, they look more solid than they are. But it seems to be generally a problem to get good looking and really well designed speaker table stands. At least to my taste.
Neumann_LH65_Tischstativ_f_r_KH120-0_1.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
In a DIY forum, someone made the suggestion to remove the electronics from KH120 with electronics defect and instead install a passive crossover as in the Klein + Hummel P110, which is probably very similarly equipped. (picture of the KH P110 is taken from the web)

Add a cheap Class D amp and you have a second life for the KH 120. Repair at the manufacturer is apparently not worth it.

Funny idea, for hobbyists I think. Unfortunately, I have the circuit diagram of this crossover nowhere found. Does anyone of you know a source? If I had broken KH120, I would try it.

You could of course also use an active crossover and 4 amplifier channels, but the effort should be small, so that it pays off.

1233240294_573970.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm almost sure my KH120 pair are already a decade old now. Hmmmn, I wonder if they'll last me another good 10 years before needing repair/some component replacement done. When they do eventually die out, I would prefer to switch to passive coaxials that I can simply amplify and DSP EQ externally myself.
You could also just keep the KH120 if the electronic fails: rip out the electronics and feed the drivers with a DSP crossover and 4 power amplifiers. Measure the FR of the amps of the still working speaker (amplitude and phase) so you know the parameters of crossover and EQ.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I went a different way. Have sold my KH120a after 10 years and bought new JBL 305P MKII. After that I even had money left over. But that was not the real reason why I did it. I like the JBL sound even better than the Neumann. They sound fuller and more musically coherent overall IMO. When I bought the KH120a 10 years ago things were different, back then they had less competition in their price range.

Others may not agree with my verdict, but I had the opportunity to compare both speakers over and over again at home because my wife has been using the JBL for a while.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The JBLs should dig a bit deeper out of the box (spec is -3 dB at 49 Hz vs. 55 Hz for the KH120As, no doubt an excellent value for a budget 5"), but I rather doubt that they would stand up to the same levels with both EQ'd to the same response, not to mention the hiss.

Charging more for the repair than a new unit in this class is pretty outrageous though. Some people will be overhauling an entire vintage integrated amp for that kind of money.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
but I rather doubt that they would stand up to the same levels with both EQ'd to the same response, not to mention the hiss.
This is a good point. The KH120s can produce a slightly higher maximum sound pressure.
It always depends on what your own requirements are. But I can understand the skepticism if you look at the price tag.

In the near field, I have no problem with the volume or dynamics of the JBL. Hiss also does not occur with me, because I do not have to turn up the level above 5 on the JBL, so I still hear nothing sitting directly in front of it. As other advantages I would like to mention the lower power consumption and especially the standby function. This has proven very convenient for me, as they are on all day.

I understand to a certain extent that repairs are so expensive, because you have to calculate the working time. In my profession, I couldn't have done it any cheaper.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have P110 in use and can check the crossover if need be.
Great! Do you happen to have the circuit diagram of the built-in crossover? Possibly it would be a way to help the KH120 as a passive version with little drawbacks to a second life.

Top Bottom