• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 80 DSP + KH 750 DSP + MA 1 vs Genelec 8030C + 7050 + DIRAC

burninblack

I own the KH80 stand alone without a sub but with ma1. I bought MA1 in 2021 and although it has strange function restrictions it sounds perfect. No strange sound adjustments, the well balanced KH80 just gets even better.
Of course the difference between with and without software depends on the quality of the room treatment.
Before MA1 I only had experience with Audyssey and it was unusable. I know Dirac is way better then Audyssey, but I think it is for solving problems in normal living room and to make the sound more pleasant. Genelec and Neumann have to make a precise tool even more accurate. So I think for studio and nearfield these are the better solutions and the software already knows the used loudspeaker.
And there is one thing I really love: After the measurement you don‘t need the computer any more or any other device. Everything is stored in the speaker and any source you connect to it benefits from the room correction.
Since 2023 the software isn‘t buggy anymore and had the missing features. You can store/recall the measurements, you can then put additional EQs on the stored measurements to follow personal preferences after you reopened them.
I leave the lan connected so I can easy swap curves to simulate different listening conditions (car, Bluetooth box …). And there is no need to block a frequency range for correction.
If you want to change your set up to genelec later, you can sell MA1 with the kh80. And a hint - I have read that the dsp in the kh750 just corrected the phase of the non-dsp KHs but not the EQ - have not tried if it’s true.
If you should buy Genelec or Neumann? - test them both in your room. There are both very good speakers. The difference is not quality but taste. I liked the Neumann more, but that’s my personal preference.

astcal

Forum Donor
go with Neumann. For similar performance, the cost is better. MA 1, although quirky, has excellent results in the end. KH750 goes lower.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
If you use non-dsp monitors, then defining range has sense, of course.
But I think that it has no sense to restrict correction range for DSP Neumanns because they are completely DSP corrected from factory even in default setting, you cannot avoid it. MA1 only changes parameters for this correction.
I beg to differ. Neumann knows the speakers in and out, so they add correction where it makes sense in context of that knowledge. Tools like dirac lack that knowledge. This together with measurement errors may lead to less than desirable results for full range correction.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I agree. Dont use Dirac with the Genelecs. Either use GLM with the respective Genelec speakers or MA1 with Neumann as the KH80 etc are made for MA1 use

For my office I have KH80, 750 and MA1 which works great.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
for the money Neumann route is better and you can use them with digital input

audafreak

I beg to differ. Neumann knows the speakers in and out, so they add correction where it makes sense in context of that knowledge. Tools like dirac lack that knowledge. This together with measurement errors may lead to less than desirable results for full range correction.
Why you don't agree with me, I have the same opinion. Maybe some misunderstanding. :)

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Maybe some misunderstanding.
Probably. Context for me was KH80 + Dirac. Which is where I would restrict dirac to below 200 Hz, just to cope with room modes. I would go with MA1 instead of dirac anyway.

Miguelón

Hello everyone I would like your input between these 2 speaker systems:
  1. Neumann KH 80 DSP + KH 750 DSP + MA 1 2799 euros
  2. Genelec 8030C + 7050 + DIRAC 2922 euros

Do you think there is a clear winner?
For me there is only possible winner: Genelec.
Think DSP monitors specifically Neumann KH 80 that has no digital input sound ultra boring.

Nothing to do with flat response, is just the unnecessary analogue=> digital => analgue conversion that sounds a little bit “bluetooth”.

I have a Neumann to try at home, first was impressed by how a 4 inch monitor can sound like so, but after more than a week I demanded a return to Thomann because I cannot enjoy music.

Nothings jumps, or surprises you, perhaps is the DSP phase alignment or whatsoever but is one of the less musical dynamics I ever listened.

Genelec is Genelec, you love their sound or you hate them (personally love) they are just opposite to Neumann’s: quite analogue with its imperfections.

In my case the choice will be 7040 instead as the 7050 because I live in an apartment, 20 Hz can bother my neighbors.

I’m not audio professional, just musician: my point of view lacks scientific validity. Curiosity, not the only musician disappointed with the Neumann’s monitors, I will connect a KH 120 ii by SPDIF to verify if the problem was that redundant conversion on KH 80

Top Bottom