• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Won't the 8 inch vs 6.5 inch size make a big difference also ?

I came across an article the other day, which may be of interest: https://musicandmiscellany.com/2023/01/03/secrets-of-the-neumann-kh150/

Referring to the woofer in the KH150: The driver combines extraordinarily low distortion combined with an ability to remain dynamically linear over a huge (in driver terms) ±12mm diaphragm displacement range. And I think it really shows in the way the KH150 performs.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Anyone compared the KH150 With and without the MA1 calibration ?
300€ is not exactly a small amount if MA1 doesn't make a big difference

Berlin

But I'm a bit confused, because I've heard many times that studio monitors are not suitable for home use because they are too analytical and sterile, that the angels don't really sing there. :rolleyes:
The angels will sing so sweetly that you will think you are in the same room with them. Be prepared for a near-death experience... ;)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hello, this is my first post on this forum.
I am interested in the mentioned Neumann kh150 speakers, mainly based on the superior measurements performed by Amir. But unfortunately I can't hear and try them live before buying.

But I'm a bit confused, because I've heard many times that studio monitors are not suitable for home use because they are too analytical and sterile, that the angels don't really sing there. :rolleyes: And if I want to be on the safe side, I should rather buy speakers that are intended for home hifi use.

What makes studio monitors unsuitable for home use? My room is 25 square meters and the distance to the speakers would be about 2.5 to 3 m (I would place them to the left and right of the tv).
Would this be a suitable setup?

When I read this thread from the beginning, some people wrote that they use them exclusively for studio work, and they have others for home hifi setup. Can someone please explain to me what the real point is and the difference between hi-fi and studio speakers.
Connect them to a turntable and a tube amp and the angles will sing again

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I'm an old Klein & Hummel fan, by tradition. But the KH150 is too expensive for me now as a monitor in my private study. Recently, I briefly considered replacing my former Neumann KH120a with it. That would certainly have been a step up.

But then I just found it inappropriate for me, to be honest. I'll wait for the successor to my current JBL 305pII, which I like better sound-wise than the KH120a. Hard to believe probably, but true. The JBL's sound fuller, are tuned a bit lower. Piano sound is more natural, that is striking. As far as I know, they have been on the market for 5 years and maybe JBL will come up with something new in this good and affordable segment. I can wait... :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm an old Klein & Hummel fan, by tradition. But the KH150 is too expensive for me now as a monitor in my private study. Recently, I briefly considered replacing my former Neumann KH120a with it. That would certainly have been a step up.

But then I just found it inappropriate for me, to be honest. I'll wait for the successor to my current JBL 305pII, which I like better sound-wise than the KH120a. Hard to believe probably, but true. The JBL's sound fuller, are tuned a bit lower. Piano sound is more natural, that is striking. As far as I know, they have been on the market for 5 years and maybe JBL will come up with something new in this good and affordable segment. I can wait... :)
You tried Genelecs also?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't have an MA1 set-up. I used a UMIK-1 and REW. You can't adjust the onboard DSP with this, I don't think, but I can use the DSP within JRiver or in my RME DAC, although that limits me to just 5 filters.

For JRiver, I use as many filters as required, 11 in my case:

1702146887769.png

If you limit the number of filters within REW and re-run the "Match response to target" you can mess about with it until you get just 5 EQ settings. In my case mostly focused on some bass peaks:

1702147171604.png

You can also re-run it and get slightly different results, here REW suggested 9 filters and I manually added a tenth for that broad dip around 1K:

1702147663586.png

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't have an MA1 set-up. I used a UMIK-1 and REW. You can't adjust the onboard DSP with this, I don't think, but I can use the DSP within JRiver or in my RME DAC, although that limits me to just 5 filters.

For JRiver, I use as many filters as required, 11 in my case:

View attachment 332836

If you limit the number of filters within REW and re-run the "Match response to target" you can mess about with it until you get just 5 EQ settings. In my case mostly focused on some bass peaks:

View attachment 332837
Thanks.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You would like the new KH120ii - is exactly in the direction you prefer. And you can use MA1 and digital inputs.

IamJF

Itmakes a BIG difference - definitely get MA1 for these monitors! I tried it with KH120ii and KH80 and it delivers very stable results and was always a good improvement. I would even recommend it for KH80s to get the full potential, it's a good investment for the boost in performance even for the small and cheap speakers.

IamJF

Good monitor manufacturers give also the recommended range as the point where the direct sound dominates which is different to the distance from SPL point of view, for example:

correct-monitors-direct_sound_dominance-chart.jpg

Source: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors
This graph is for highly treated studio rooms - direct sound distance in a living room will probably be half of that! So it's even more important to get a speaker with smooth off axis performance there.
Until you WANT a dedicated sound from your speakers! Which is totally ok, most people want to enjoy music in their free time, no need to have perfect reproduction. But it's way harder with normal HiFi Speakers to find the right one cause they interact stronger with the room and will sound more different in different rooms. Just useing the MA1 system and dial in a custom target curve to get the sound you like would be way easier and more reliable.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This graph is for highly treated studio rooms
Modern well engineered studios aren't as heavily absorbtive as they used to, also because we have loudspeakers with much smoother directivities than in the past. In my personal experience these distances work also well in normally furnished living spaces, of course not though "luxury" bare concrete and glass rooms shown mainly in computer generated photos.

Just useing the MA1 system and dial in a custom target curve to get the sound you like would be way easier and more reliable.
Still a less/later beaming loudspeaker like the KH80 wouldn't sound the same like a KH420 when tuned to the same target, equalisation can only correct bass room modal region issues on such neutral loudspeakers, the rest would be just a voicing of the stock flat direct sound.

IamJF

Did you ever do the calculations for reverberation radius in living rooms? You normally stay under 1m, with a highly directive source probably up to 1,5m.
So while these speakers will sound good in 3-4m you for sure are deep in reverberant field.

Top Bottom