• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Network switch without any leds at all, does it exists ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi forum i'm trying to find a discrete unobtrusive network switch to use in my hifi system, that does not have any of those insane blinking leds on each and every port !

Does it even exists at all ?

Meanwhile i used the usual remedies , tape black nail polish etc etc and messed up a number of switches over the years :)

radix

Major Contributor
Electrical tape.

not sure such a switch exists, though some switches are OK to put in backwards, so the ports are in the rear and you see a nice face. But you'd likely still see flashing in the background.

OP
M

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Electrical tape.

not sure such a switch exists, though some switches are OK to put in backwards, so the ports are in the rear and you see a nice face. But you'd likely still see flashing in the background.
yes my current switch are backwards behind some stuff .
Ill go to the "EMO" department in the store and buy more black nail polish then :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can turn them off via a phone app on my Ubiquiti router. I don't know if they let you do that in their switches or not. I use gaffers tape on my switch (which is another brand). Gaffers tape can be left on for years and peel of with no or very nearly no residue. It also comes in white or black. By gaffers tape I mean the soft tape used during audio and video recording to place cables. In England and other places they call this duct tape. Duct tape here in the USA is the wrong thing.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several TP-Link Easy Smart swtiches. I can turn the LEDs off on the 16 port one...

1711486471525.png

I checked the 8 port one and that has the option as well. I also have a 5 port one somewhere, the UI is exactly the same, so I expect it has the same option. I suspect that other brands 'web managed' switches will have the same capability. You don't need a fully managed switch (which are likely to be physically bigger and include noisy fans), you just need one with 'web management'.

I don't know how many ports you need, but the 5 port version of the above is under £20... https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105E-Desktop-Easy-Smart-Ethernet/dp/B00N0OHEMA

Last edited:
OP
M

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No way to cut the LEDs loose?
There often built into the rj45 connector itself
I have several TP-Link Easy Smart swtiches. I can turn the LEDs off on the 16 port one...

View attachment 359363

I checked the 8 port one and that has the option as well. I also have a 5 port one somewhere, the UI is exactly the same, so I expect it has the same option. I suspect that other brands 'web managed' switches will have the same capability. You don't need a fully managed switch (which are likely to be physically bigger and include noisy fans), you just need one with 'web management'.

I don't know how many ports you need, but the 5 port version of the above is under £20... https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105E-Desktop-Easy-Smart-Ethernet/dp/B00N0OHEMA
I'll check it out i only need a 4 or 8 port one :) unmanaged , but if i have to get a managed switch to turn of the leds....

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll check it out i only need a 4 or 8 port one :) unmanaged , but if i have to get a managed switch to turn of the leds....

The web managed switches have some capabilities that are nice to have like link speeds and bad packets. Here's the stats from my 8 port switch in the lounge...

1711489286989.png

It can also run cable tests and I use link aggregation (LAG) to connect my bigger switches with dual cables.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have used some witches that allow turning off the ports that are not in use. The in-use ports' LED can be dimmed but not turned off, in those that I have used, recently: Cisco, ZyXel, Hikvision, come to mind.

Peace.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The web managed switches have some capabilities that are nice to have like link speeds and bad packets. Here's the stats from my 8 port switch in the lounge...
It can also run cable tests and I use link aggregation (LAG) to connect my bigger switches with dual cables.
+1
If I may recommend:
3 important criteria for choosing the correct network switch that provides some "future proofness":
*Managed, *>1GbE, *PoE.
1 important criteria to give up on:
*No LEDs
Pretend they are whispering you the status of your network.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1
If I may recommend:
3 important criteria for choosing the correct network switch that provides some "future proofness":
*Managed, *>1GbE, *PoE.
1 important criteria to give up on:
*No LEDs
Pretend they are whispering you the status of your network.

I'm still not sold on the utility of PoE at home. I get it in an enterprise environment where you might want to power hundreds of IP phones and APs, but I only have a couple of PoE capable cameras at home and it's easy for me to power those with a couple of PoE injectors from a local power outlet. I've not felt the need to purchase any PoE switches... yet :)

Conversely, I also have multiple 2.5GbE capable devices and I have reached the point where upgrading some of my 1GbE switches to 2.5/10GbE makes sense to me. I ordered a couple of 8x2.5GbE + 10G SFP+ switches from China last week, they arrived today and i've just started playing with them...

IMG_20240328_232447116 (Small).jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still not sold on the utility of PoE at home.
I use the PoE switches for both SurveillanceCams and Dante AoIP for streaming music about the house...
...on a MarvellAQtion10Gb-based LAN that is bridged to a Cable router for WAN.

BradC

You can turn them off via a phone app on my Ubiquiti router. I don't know if they let you do that in their switches or not. I use gaffers tape on my switch (which is another brand). Gaffers tape can be left on for years and peel of with no or very nearly no residue. It also comes in white or black. By gaffers tape I mean the soft tape used during audio and video recording to place cables. In England and other places they call this duct tape. Duct tape here in the USA is the wrong thing.
Yep. My unifi switches let me turn the LEDs off. I have a flex mini in my AV cabinet powered by PoE and feeding my various devices.

For those that don't want to change their full network infrastructure over... black tape works just fine. For really bright leds I have put a touch of dark paint right on the led too (black nail polish, or tulip fabric paint block light very well).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cut the trace with a penknife
The BIG question is do you really want to?
These are not your grandma's 'dummy' lights in her Chrysler; they speak directly to the inner-internet in you!;)
Would it be better advice to just add a small resistor in-line to reduce the brightness... just sayin'

OP
M

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I turned it backwards and put a stack of books in front of it in the cabinet :)

Previous media furniture was of the 90’s look with a Steele frame with glass shelves. Got rid of that . I do not have any amps and stuff anymore just one tiny WiiM media player .

Top Bottom