• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Network player with USB digital output?

Hello forum,

I'm looking for a network player that should have:
1) ethernet connectivity (e.g. DLNA)
2) USB in
3) USB out

I already ruled out SMSL SD-9 (it does not seem very reliable). Topping M50 might do, but I would strongly prefer something different.
I liked the Aune X5s but it lacks USB out.

Any advice is appreciated,
MH

staticV3

Master Contributor
USB in for plugging the player into a computer and using it like a DAC, or for plugging in thumbdrives and playing music stored on those?

OP
M
sorry, I wrote it in the title, but I forgot to repeat in the message body

1) ethernet connectivity (e.g. DLNA)
2) USB AUDIO in
3) USB AUDIO out

OP
M
my use case is: I want to plug it into a computer and use it like a DAC (forwarding audio to the real dac) OR stream audio files to it over ethernet (via DLNA).
the topping m50 would do for the USB part, but I know as a fact in my setup it doesn't work well as a network player.

maybe I can use a raspberry pi with some special software installed?

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Vast majority of streamer run linux. Reasonable support for USB-audio UAC2 gadget (i.e. USB input) was added to linux kernel last year. Still it's not simple to integrate the gadget UAC2 support seamlessly, it takes software support in the player. AFAIK no open source streamer SW has done the integration yet.

Very likely there will be offerings on the streamer market with properly integrated UAC2 gadget support (most ARM SBCs which the streamer use can do USB OTG and latest linux kernels support most of the implementations - DWC2/3 Synopsys IP core in almost all cases) but it will take a while, IMO.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm not sure why you'd need usb audio in, but the Nvidia Shield can act as a streamer and has USB audio out.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rock Pi S Single Board Computer - has USB In, USB Out and Ethernet. You can get it with WiFi and BT as well. Costs $20 on AliExpress

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Eversolo DMP-A6​

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, if just USB-input bypassing the streamer software is OK, then it's technically quite simple. I was talking about capturing the USB input and e.g. applying the same DSP as to streamed content. But maybe that's not what the OP required.

Top Bottom