• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neil Young pulls music from Tidal, because of MQA

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cable-magic threads are worse. How much time-wasting it causes. Sometimes the persons that are supposed to be educated or informed by the discussion are not suited to it anyway - like when they begin by saying they "don't know how to" do quote/reply.

Seriously.

There should just be a Perl script that auto-replies to those cable threads.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You must not live in the United States of America,you should take a road trip all 50 state's,then you will see the poverty,if Comcast is capping data for the NE it's just a matter of time before the other follow suit,alot of people have cut cable tv and just subscribe to the streaming services they want,so if I want more data it's gonna cost,and we ain't even get into rural yet.
OK, I think you're joking...yeah, I'm in So Cal. "The poverty"—yet these people need MQA, and have the audio gear or earbuds that they can hear the difference? Sadly, being an audiophile has never been cheap. :D

Katji

Major Contributor
^^Insert
Seriously.

There should just be a Perl script that auto-replies to those cable threads.
Insert text with links to reference threads, then lock the thread.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
OK, I think you're joking...yeah, I'm in So Cal. "The poverty"—yet these people need MQA, and have the audio gear or earbuds that they can hear the difference? Sadly, being an audiophile has never been cheap. :D
Has always been cheap for me I don't buy boutique I buy what I can afford,ain't chasing numbers,everything I like music wise is on vinyl,tape,CD and now digital,The USA is more than California,Oh almost forgot people hear what they want to hear even if it's not there.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It was indeed MQA, though they hadn't dreamt up that name yet then.
Only thing I can figure is that Meridian (AKA Bob Stuart) had found a way to cut out Pono (AKA Neil Young) of any money profits stream in the final configuration of the contracts. After that the whole Pono thing fell apart and now Neil's got a stone in his shoe and is looking for ways to remove it. I can't figure out which one to them is the bigger $ whore in the music business. They both been milking it and us for decades.
I think you're censoring my gripe.
Could I offer you a little cheese with that whine? :p

mansr

Major Contributor
Only thing I can figure is that Meridian (AKA Bob Stuart) had found a way to cut out Pono (AKA Neil Young) of any money profits stream in the final configuration of the contracts. After that the whole Pono thing fell apart and now Neil's got a stone in his shoe and is looking for ways to remove it.
Pono ditched Meridian quite early and partnered with Ayre instead. For whatever reason, Charley Hansen was very much opposed to MQA. Perhaps some of it rubbed off on Neil.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Pono ditched Meridian quite early and partnered with Ayre instead. For whatever reason, Charley Hansen was very much opposed to MQA. Perhaps some of it rubbed off on Neil.
Opposed systems competing for the same money stream?

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Charley Hansen was very much opposed to MQA

He was the one who coined "More Questions than Answers" as indeed MQA was very reluctant to talk anything other than marketing.
The DAC detecting a MQA stream, applies minimum phase filters and oversamples.
That was exactly what Ayre's DACs are doing do for years.
So why pay MQA for something one is doing already was one of his arguments against MQA.
Auralic refused MQA for the same reasons.
Indeed one might wonder if one has already a oversampling DAC with minimum phase filters what the benefits are of the last unfolding by MQA.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
He was the one who coined "More Questions than Answers" as indeed MQA was very reluctant to talk anything other than marketing.
The DAC detecting a MQA stream, applies minimum phase filters and oversamples.
That was exactly what Ayre's DACs are doing do for years.
So why pay MQA for something one is doing already was one of his arguments against MQA.
Auralic refused MQA for the same reasons.
Indeed one might wonder if one has already a oversampling DAC with minimum phase filters what the benefits are of the last unfolding by MQA.
Huh?

win

i can't stand neil young ever since i saw his greendale concert, which was godawful. he didn't play any of his hits, until the encore, where he came out, played two tracks poorly, and left. easily the worst concert of my life.

i better enjoyed Vincent Gallo showing up 90 minutes late, ignoring the crowd, and sitting with his back to the audience.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let's remain civil here gentlemen, please.

Rusty Shackleford

This guy thinks too highly of himself. The tidal “masters” and his masters probably sound identical. Haven’t heard any of his new music but I am skeptical that his music isn’t over produced and rather lacklustre sounding, like 95% of all contemporary music.

Young’s music is known for having high dynamic range for rock music. Check out his entry in the DR database. He also was an early adopter of top notch Pacific Microsonics converters for all of his archival tapes.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Young’s music is known for having high dynamic range for rock music. Check out his entry in the DR database. He also was an early adopter of top notch Pacific Microsonics converters for all of his archival tapes.
I think I was confusing him for someone else... I did do check some of his music out after. And it is very good sounding.

Feelas

One could also try to see Young (with his Pono & hi-res shtick happening) as overshooting the things merely to bring attention to the fact that quality varies. Going into 24/192 realms is so out of bounds & absolutely nonsensical that for some people it's the only thing that'd make them wonder.

Actually, times before Android ruled the world as phone portable players go (making it possible to even play hi-res files), the market was filled with stuff that couldn't downsample properly and that's actually not something we'd like from the purely technical standpoint - one should not be forced to play up to 16/48 for no good reason, even if the difference above is esoterics.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Neil Young sells 50% of publishing rights to his entire song catalog to UK investment fund

Top Bottom