• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendations for music streamer

BillG

Major Contributor
Is that a setting in the PC or in the streaming service?

The control panel in Windows, also certain media players allow one to set it as well - If you make sure they match you should be fine. And, again, if it's not available in certain apps and players, I'd not worry myself about it... :cool:

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In WASAPI Exclusive Mode, yes, if the bit depth and rate are the same as in the Sound properties. If not, it will do a resample to the set depth and rate - I'd not concern with it though as any artifacts from the process should be down so low in the noise floor as to be unhearable... :cool:
Yes and, as an alternative, using the ASIO driver for many DACs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
In WASAPI Exclusive Mode, yes, if the bit depth and rate are the same as in the Sound properties. If not, it will do a resample to the set depth and rate - I'd not concern with it though as any artifacts from the process should be down so low in the noise floor as to be unhearable... :cool:

Not true - in WASAPI Exclusive mode (and when using ASIO) audio is sent via USB or to internal soundboard as it is, regardless of the settings in Control panel.

Capture.jpg

Krunok

Major Contributor
Is that a setting in the PC or in the streaming service?

With WASAPI in exclusive mode (and/or with ASIO) you will get original bitrate and bitdepth however you received from streaming provider or from software player playing a file.

OP
K

ktm125

With WASAPI in exclusive mode (and/or with ASIO) you will get original bitrate and bitdepth however you received from streaming provider or from software player playing a file.

So do I have to set anything in Windows 10 for best SQ from USB port?

Krunok

Major Contributor
So do I have to set anything in Windows 10 for best SQ from USB port?

If you have set your player to use WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO driver you dont' have to set anything in control panel.

If you don't want to mess with Windows and are not using PC for your work you can try installing Volumio. It is free, supports Tidal streaming, access to your music files anywhere on your home LAN, controlling play via mobile phone app, Room EQ, ..

Last edited:
OP
K

ktm125

If you have set your player to use WASAPI in exclusive mode or ASIO driver you dont' have to set anything in control panel.

If you don't want to mess with Windows and are not using PC for your work you can try installing Volumio. It is free, supports Tidal streaming, access to your music files anywhere on your home LAN, controlling play via mobile phone app, Room EQ, ..

Questions...
1. Do you need the MyVolumio Virtuoso version for Qobuz?
2. Does it work with Amazon Hi-Res?
3. If I have a PC located in my stereo system area, does it have to be wired to my main PC to control Volumio from main PC?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Questions...
1. Do you need the MyVolumio Virtuoso version for Qobuz?
2. Does it work with Amazon Hi-Res?
3. If I have a PC located in my stereo system area, does it have to be wired to my main PC to control Volumio from main PC?

For Qobuz and Amazon you'll have to check yourself.
It doesn't need to be wired, the connection can be via WiFi as well, but both PCs have to be on your home local network.

REK2575

If you're looking for "plug & play" and support for TIDAL Masters (MQA), this is the answer. To go above 24/96, your external DAC will need MQA support:
https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006191908-Why-Isn-t-My-External-DAC-Playing-MQA-

I'll throw my hat in with the pro-Bluesound Node 2i crowd. I think it's a terrific device, though I think its native DAC is a bit lacking (as confirmed by Amir's review), using one of the digital outs to a good quality DAC (I use the Sabaj D5) can give terrific results. Streams Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD flawlessly for me w/ hardwired ethernet connection.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
if your tv is nearby and has an spdif out, it's hard to beat the amazon fire tv sticks for value. the tidal app works relatively well on the fire tv devices.

oddly, amazon hd doesn't work yet with fire tv devices according to the help site.

that said, if you're not near a tv, i highly recommend an ipad with the usb dongle. i struggled with volumio, long long usb to my desktop computer, etc. etc. and the easiest by far ended up being the fire stick and an older ipad.

OP
K

ktm125

I'll throw my hat in with the pro-Bluesound Node 2i crowd. I think it's a terrific device, though I think its native DAC is a bit lacking (as confirmed by Amir's review), using one of the digital outs to a good quality DAC (I use the Sabaj D5) can give terrific results. Streams Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon HD flawlessly for me w/ hardwired ethernet connection.

thanks! I got the Node 2i.

REK2575

Hope you enjoy it! Knock on wood, but mine has worked flawlessly ever since I got it, so good luck!

Nostro

What's your recommendation for a wired streamer that connects to the internet that I can use for Tidal?

The streamer will connect to my DAC via digital coaxial cable.

I looked at these 2 so far...

BlueSound Node 2i
Cambridge Audio CXNV2

I can confirm that Cambridge Audio cxn v2 can no longer cast directly via the Tidal android app & desktop PC options (no idea about Apple variants).

Yes, you still can use Tidal via the Cambridge app & of course it's built into the unit. Both options a far cry from the functionality the Tidal app provides.

It seems this has only recently occurred with the last Tidal app update a few weeks ago.

Cambridge maintains their 'engineers' are working on the matter, however it is somewhat out of their hands and is between Google & Tidal. How Google fits into the picture, I am not sure and Cambridge seems reluctant to provide me with a 'plain English' response, suffice to say that they suggest using the Cambridge app that works. Sure it works, but it's clunky at best.

Cheers!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a Volumio Primo (479 euros). I think this might be better than the Cambridge Audio I previously recommended, although not Chromecast compatible (but yes Roon endpoint with a plug-in)

Nostro

Just to update re. Cambridge Audio CXN v2 & Tidal.....as per above it still works, but no longer via Tidal app....

Further communications between me and Cambridge reveal the connection between them and Google is Chromecast itself (I was a bit slow on the uptake). So they are 'working' with Google to sort the latest codes since Tidal updated their app. Why there was some change from Tidal's end is a complete unknown. This update due in the very near future. Cambridge couldn't be time specific claiming it was out of their hands.

Further, because their new Edge NQ network player is Roon ready, there is a strong possibility CXN v2 will get the same treatment, once the tech filters down. However, there were no immediate plans to make it happen. I was told as it's Roon capable (via Chromecast), it is not foremost on their engineer's minds. Perhaps early New Year was the best they would tell me.

To compare this unit with the Volumio Primo, I've not heard both side by side. However, Chromecast is important to me and that would be a deal breaker. Also, they are in different price brackets. CXN vs roughly 700 pounds I believe. Given I'm not in Europe I could be wrong about that.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US, volumio primo is cheaper, and a Pi version of Volumio is much cheaper. But Volumio ain’t perfect.

Nostro

Confirming Tidal streaming once again working via app & desktop application. Seems to have been rectified via Tidal with early Nov update. Sorry, for almost forgetting about this.

Cheers!

Top Bottom