• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendations for music streamer

Willem

Major Contributor
A Chomecast Audio into an RME ADI-2, it works a treat.

ClosDeBen

I'm in the same boat and have several questions as well. Forgive me as I'm on information overload at the moment. I haven't settled on a streaming service but use Spotify and some older ripped albums. Will settle on some higher quality service.

What's the disadvantage if any of using an old Android phone with the USB-C out to a Dac ? Or Chromecast ?

Anyone tried the Audiolab 6000N ? I was at least considering that or perhaps a Matrix Element-i (kinda pricey though and fairly small company makes me a bit worried about future service/software support).

To use an Odroid C1/N1 are there any options to Volumio ?

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
The limit for USB is 5 m (~16 ft) unless you use a hub.

No upgrades are required for any recent computer, but you will need to choose an app to play the music. Is the music on the PC or a NAS? Are the PC and DAC in the same room, so you will be using the PC for other things while listening to music?
(Edited to make more sense, I hope!]
I had no idea of a limit of 16'. I'm using this cheap 20' cable and it works fine sending hi-res from Tidal & Qobuz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00183E8WE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Last edited:

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
It's good I never heard of that limit. I just bought it extra long in case anyone tripped over it, it wouldn't pull my LS50Ws off their stands. I also have an extra long cat 6 connecting them together so if 1 does fall it won't pull the other 1 down.

Voxy

If your DAC has a USB input (most do) and a WiFi connection to the internet, you could consider a used or refurbished iPhone 6se (or 7) with the camera lightning port adapter. The phones are avail from Walmart resellers for $60-$110 or so. The cable is ~$40. This is currently what I'm doing with my Tidal subscription.

So can I use an old iPad 3 to do the job? What if I connect the ipad via lightning port to the AV amp using its on board DAC?

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Questions...
1. Do you need the MyVolumio Virtuoso version for Qobuz?
2. Does it work with Amazon Hi-Res?
3. If I have a PC located in my stereo system area, does it have to be wired to my main PC to control Volumio from main PC?
No Qobuz or any flavor of Amazon Music on Volumio. You can stream Qobuz via Roon to Volumio, or both via Bluetooth to Volumio if you have a MyVolumio subscription. Anything on the network can connect to the Volumio’s IP address, there is a paid app for iOS to do that more elegantly (and I assume for Android too).

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
So can I use an old iPad 3 to do the job? What if I connect the ipad via lightning port to the AV amp using its on board DAC?
Yes, you can definitely do this. This is the only way I’ve found to get Ultra HD on Amazon Ultimate Music at full resolution and sampling rate. (Going wireless gets downconverted to Airplay’s max of 24bit/48kHz, which is still perfectly fine audibly, although psychologically unacceptable!)

Voxy

Yes, you can definitely do this. This is the only way I’ve found to get Ultra HD on Amazon Ultimate Music at full resolution and sampling rate. (Going wireless gets downconverted to Airplay’s max of 24bit/48kHz, which is still perfectly fine audibly, although psychologically unacceptable!)

Hmm... I keep getting 44.1/16 bit even I stream using MQA with master... though I personally can hear a huge difference in terms of dynamics, soundstage etc compare to HIFI Rez.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No Qobuz or any flavor of Amazon Music on Volumio. You can stream Qobuz via Roon to Volumio, or both via Bluetooth to Volumio if you have a MyVolumio subscription. Anything on the network can connect to the Volumio’s IP address, there is a paid app for iOS to do that more elegantly (and I assume for Android too).
Sorry, there is Qobuz in MyVolumio Virtuoso, it is in “Sources”. No genre filtering yet, all a bit basic but working.

Top Bottom