• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendations for music streamer

ktm125

What's your recommendation for a wired streamer that connects to the internet that I can use for Tidal?

The streamer will connect to my DAC via digital coaxial cable.

I looked at these 2 so far...

BlueSound Node 2i
Cambridge Audio CXNV2

gab

If your DAC has a USB input (most do) and a WiFi connection to the internet, you could consider a used or refurbished iPhone 6se (or 7) with the camera lightning port adapter. The phones are avail from Walmart resellers for $60-$110 or so. The cable is ~$40. This is currently what I'm doing with my Tidal subscription.

OP
K

ktm125

If your DAC has a USB input (most do) and a WiFi connection to the internet, you could consider a used or refurbished iPhone 6se (or 7) with the camera lightning port adapter. The phones are avail from Walmart resellers for $60-$110 or so. The cable is ~$40. This is currently what I'm doing with my Tidal subscription.

I'm interested in wired only...

Willem

Major Contributor
Chromecast Audio? It has an optical output but should not be a problem.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nvidia Shield

OP
K

ktm125

If the DAC has a USB input you could use a Raspberry Pi as the streamer. I doubt there's any networking ability that audio-specific streamers have that a Pi can't do just as well.

Thanks! I've decided to use my PC instead of a streamer.
The PC sits about 20' from the DAC which has a USB input.
Is this length too long?
Any upgrades to PC required to use as streamer?

Last edited:

helloworld

What's your recommendation for a wired streamer that connects to the internet that I can use for Tidal?

The streamer will connect to my DAC via digital coaxial cable.

I looked at these 2 so far...

BlueSound Node 2i
Cambridge Audio CXNV2
rasperberry pi

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Is this length too long?
What is the purpose of the Raspberry Pi? and can I install it myself?
It's a tiny (credit card size) SBC (single board computer). It includes all the hardware you need to run a music streamer, and can also be connected to a TV via HDMI.

A huge ecosystem had grown up around it so there are lots of options but try this for starters <https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/03/howto-building-and-installing-raspberry.html>. I've done this myself quite recently, but without the screen. Please ask if you want more info.

A new, better, model has recently been launched so this is a good time to get one! <https://www.raspberrypi.org>.

Willem

Major Contributor
Just use a decent (but not audiophool) usb cable from your pc to your dac, and that is all. Software depends on what you want to play. I use my study's desktop pc to play music into a usb dac, and I have two sources: TuneIn for internet radio and Spotify premium for music. These sources provide the necessary software, so nothing additional is required. Even a very basic pc will be fast enough.
If you find the cable awkward, I would repeat my suggestion for the Chromecast Audio using its optical digital output.

OP
K

ktm125

Just use a decent (but not audiophool) usb cable from your pc to your dac, and that is all. Software depends on what you want to play. I use my study's desktop pc to play music into a usb dac, and I have two sources: TuneIn for internet radio and Spotify premium for music. These sources provide the necessary software, so nothing additional is required. Even a very basic pc will be fast enough.

thanks!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Is this length too long?
Any upgrades to PC required to use as streamer?
The limit for USB is 5 m (~16 ft) unless you use a hub.

No upgrades are required for any recent computer, but you will need to choose an app to play the music. Is the music on the PC or a NAS? Are the PC and DAC in the same room, so you will be using the PC for other things while listening to music?
(Edited to make more sense, I hope!]

Last edited:
OP
K

ktm125

The limit for USB is 5 m (~16 ft) unless you use a hub.

No upgrades are required for any recent computer, but you will need to choose an app to play the music. Is the music on the PC or a NAS? Are the PC and DAC in the same room, so you will be using the PC for other things while listening to music?
(Edited to make more sense, I hope!]

Will be streaming thru Tidal or Qobuz.
DAC and PC in same room but 20' apart.
PC is for work and personnel use.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
K

ktm125

OP
K

ktm125

Does a Windows PC output audio via USB unprocessed?
In the Amazon Hi-Res thread, some have said that there is no option to by-pass the windows mixer.

BillG

Major Contributor
Does a Windows PC output audio via USB unprocessed?

In WASAPI Exclusive Mode, yes, if the bit depth and rate are the same as in the Sound properties. If not, it will do a resample to the set depth and rate - I'd not concern with it though as any artifacts from the process should be down so low in the noise floor as to be unhearable... :cool:

OP
K

ktm125

In WASAPI Exclusive Mode, yes, if the bit depth and rate are the same as in the Sound properties. If not, it will do a resample to the set depth and rate - I'd not concern with it though as any artifacts from the process should be down so low in the noise floor as to be unhearable... :cool:

Is that a setting in the PC or in the streaming service?

Top Bottom