• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Headphones with good bass, imaging and soundstage for around 500$

Pawlakbest

Hello.
Im looking for a good headphones with fun bass, good imaging and wide soundstage. My current headphones are AudioTechnica ATH-M50X -> Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ohm -> DT 990 Pro 250Ohm and source is Topping E30+L30.
From these I prefer DT 990 the most, but I wanted to try something with even wider soundstage and better imaging, not necessarily better bass as I'm using EqualizerAPO to tune it to my preferences. I can tune better bass with EQ but I can't make wider soundstage or better imaging with it, that's why I wanted to try something new. I mostly play games(competitive and single player) and listen to rock/metal.
I thought of trying planar magnetic as I never tried one but I'm up for suggestions.
From my own research I found those to be the most popular choices:
HiFiMan Sundara, Sennheiser HD 660s, HarmonicDyne Zeus, Audio-Technica ATH-R70x.
Thank you for help.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For FPS gaming, I would get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones.

usern

560S - good head stage and you can EQ bass to head shaking levels (I do). One of the best value headphones.

Chyżwar

I had the Sundara and the HD660s. Both of these headphones have just a normal soundstage. I don't think it's wider than the DT990 Pro. Imaging is maybe a little better.
I really don't think they're worth the money compared to the DT990 if you're using the EQ :D

OP
P

Pawlakbest

For FPS gaming, I would get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X headphones.
Being 120$ how do they compare to DT990 pro? Aren't they worse in build/soundstage/sound quality?
560S - good head stage and you can EQ bass to head shaking levels (I do). One of the best value headphones.
560s also cheap, wouldn't 660s have better imaging/soundstage?
I had the Sundara and the HD660s. Both of these headphones have just a normal soundstage. I don't think it's wider than the DT990 Pro. Imaging is maybe a little better.
I really don't think they're worth the money compared to the DT990 if you're using the EQ :D
Hadn't I use EQ, you say they would be better than DT990? Reading some reviews it seems both Sundara and HD660s have bigger soundstage than DT990 pro.
I was also thinking about HiFiMan Edition XS, but in my country its 700$, so not sure if worth that much more compared to Sundara for 350$.

usern

560s also cheap, wouldn't 660s have better imaging/soundstage?
No. 560S has better imaging and soundstage. Easier to locate sounds with them in games. I have both 560S and 660S. 660S is better built and more consistent. I've compared them before: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-review-headphone.29603/page-17#post-1081951
Keep in my my comments only apply with EQ to my taste. Another reason I like 560S is because they are cheap I am not afraid to blow them up with ridiculous bass boost. 660S I don't dare to listen very loud.

In my experience price does not matter that much these days if you want audio performance. There's extremely good value headphones like AKG K371, Hifiman H400se, 560S. Low distortion, good frequency response. Can go much louder than old Beyers. 560S has best sound stage out of these. Most expensive headphone I've tried is Aeon Noire and I didn't like their heaband, weight and sound. After that I have no interest in expensive headphones except for Sennheiser HD800S.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
AKG K702 stock pads and all and they are lot less than 500$. Next step is old Sennheiser HD 800 that's considerably more (originally even twice) and getting hard to find.

twsecrest

Being 120$ how do they compare to DT990 pro? Aren't they worse in build/soundstage/sound quality?
Build quality should be about the same.
The ATH-AD700X have always been one of the top headphones for FPS gaming.
It has a very light bass, so the loud explosions (noises) are less likely to cover up the sound of the foot steps.

For an all in one headphone, for just about every need.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, total should be under $250.

OP
P

Pawlakbest

I was listening to K702 when I was considering them or DT990 and I chose 990. Even with wider soundstage they sounded strange.

After some more research I found AD700X to be not my type, as precisions is less important for me than immersion(that's why I said I play both single player and competitive, but even with competitive, I don't need to hear footsteps only, I love explosions :) ). HF580 seems like worse Sundaras, so not sure about them.

And seems like 560s and Edition XS are my top picks. I was considering Edition XS over Sundara for a long time but the problem is price. In my country 560s are 170$, Sundara are 350$ and Edition XS are 580$. Are Edition XS that much worth over Sundara or even 560s? If they were to be my endgame headphones I'm up for them.

Last edited:

Chyżwar

No. 560S has better imaging and soundstage. Easier to locate sounds with them in games.

I've had both, and I think the HD660s has better imaging and instrument separation, and the HD560s maybe a little wider soundstage. It's so subjective that other people's opinions may be useless.

Besides ... the HD800 have noticeably wider soundstage and some Stax have noticeably better imaging. The differences between the DT990, HD560s and HD660s are so small in this regard that I don't see the point in buying another one when you have one of them. The DT990 are the most comfortable, but they need an EQ. the HD560s have the best bass and the HD660s have a premium look, but overall not worth the money.

The AD700 is just a trash, really.

Last edited:

usern

I've had both, and I think the HD660s has better imaging and instrument separation, and the HD560s maybe a little wider soundstage. It's so subjective that other people's opinions may be useless.
Music and games are different. As I said, I tend to search the location of the sound with 660S longer than with 560S.
And seems like 560s and Edition XS are my top picks. I was considering Edition XS over Sundara for a long time but the problem is price. In my country 560s are 170$, Sundara are 350$ and Edition XS are 580$. Are Edition XS that much worth over Sundara or even 560s? If they were to be my endgame headphones I'm up for them.
560S trumps planars with lower weight and planars tend to get more hot due to their larger driver blocking air circulation. I feel like 560S would be better daily use headphone for long sessions. It's why I bought them, excellent performance was a huge bonus.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
560S are great, but I don’t think thats what your after, they have a warm tonality thats great for music.

The Edition XS will have a significant sound stage and imaging advantage due to large driver size, its a very large sound, but are a slightly thinner sound. I believe they are absolutely worth it over the Sundara.

For reference I own HD-650, Ananda, LCD-X, Focal Clear MG Pro and used to own Sundara.

Blorg

Edition XS is worth it IMO, could well be endgame. Ticks all your boxes, great linear bass, huge soundstage, great layering/imaging. It's very similar to the Arya.

OP
P

Pawlakbest

I used Edition XS for a week now, and while I really like sound signature(great separation) and soundstage, in my listening and gaming sessions DT990 Pro seemed like having better imaging. Not a dealbreaker, but today I had problem with Right cup as sound disappeared. I found that 3,5mm from adapter to cable was too loose, so I switched it from my 990. For now it works, but I'm worried that It's just a start of the infamous HiFiMan QC. So I have this bold plan of getting every other headphone from shop and compare them to find if there is something similar to Edition XS from other companies that doesn't suffer QC. I'll get 560s, 660s, K702 to listen to it one more time and DT1990 pro as it may or may not be upgrade from mine. Any other I should try ? :) I won't check Sundara as I read every post saying they are just worse XS.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saved a ton and bought the Drop Sennheiser HD6xx.

OP
P

Pawlakbest

Today I found that when I gently touch jack on left cup, sound disappears. No problem with right cup. I switched left and right channel cables and problem was solved. Switched back and problem remained. I have no idea if it's a problem with cable or headphone, but not a great start for 1 week old HiFiMan :) I will buy new cable to see if it solves the issue.

asrUser

Today I found that when I gently touch jack on left cup, sound disappears. No problem with right cup. I switched left and right channel cables and problem was solved. Switched back and problem remained. I have no idea if it's a problem with cable or headphone, but not a great start for 1 week old HiFiMan :) I will buy new cable to see if it solves the issue.
Why don't you contact the Hifiman support?

Top Bottom