• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Clarification and Help on AVR

Rockman2

I have been reading an lot and I am confused! I sold my set up with my home and want to replace it in the new home. Mind you I am no expert just do a lot of reading to get ideas.

Had:
Marantz SR 8015
Panosonic DP-UB820K
Furman Elite 15 PFI power conditioner
Martin Logan 60XT towers
Martin Logan 50XT Center
Definitive tech Super cube 1
Aim 8 Three rear and side surround.

I really liked the system. Just thought I might do a small upgrade in sound with the new system and hopefully not spend to much more.

I was thinking down sizing down the SR8015 to a SR7015 and using a Monolith 3ch for the front three. Thinking I would get better sound from the front three this way and possibly better surround from the aver as it was not trying to power everything. Then after reading a ton on the net. I was moving toward an Anthem MRX 740 or a Denon X6700H. This forum seems to really like the Denon. I had an older 3805 some years ago and loved it. Here is the big question for me Pre out voltage. I have seen 1.4, 1.5, 2.0, 4.0 for the denon in different threads from different authors. Will the Denon Power the Monolith OK? Also I saw thread by Gene at Audioholics saying the anthem puts out 5 volts but is it necessary? Is there any benefit in sound from the Anthem? DAC's? Have also herd the Anthem is buggy. Don't know what that means but I have not herd that about the Denon AVR's. I will also be adding 2 atmos in celing down the road. This is a great room not a seporate room. We mostly use the system for movies and a little 2ch music. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rockman2

Just spoke with Denon and Marantz. They both say the Pre out is at 1.2v. Seems testing shows it to be a little higher. Still looking for help.

Thanks

GalZohar

According to Amir's measurements using pre-out mode will let you get a clean signal up to higher voltage by disconnecting the amps. Otherwise higher voltages would have increased distortion but still cleaner than some alternatives... 3700 and up let you disconnect either just the L/R amps or all amps. 8500 lets you individually disconnect each amp, but I guess for the price diff you can just externally amp all channels with a 3700, that is if you even need external amplification.

I had a hard time finding proof regarding which room correction system is actually best, which leads me to believe they are all similar in the end (at least in your price range). Arc will do more things automatically, though, so it is worth considering if you want to eq "out of box" without any manual tweaks (although even arc rrquires some). Auddysey will be the worst "out of box", but mostly because it has some bad defaults with nothing automated to change them. To get the most out of arc/audyssey/dirac you will need to understand the same concepts about target curves and subwoofer integration anyway.

OP
R

Rockman2

According to Amir's measurements using pre-out mode will let you get a clean signal up to higher voltage by disconnecting the amps. Otherwise higher voltages would have increased distortion but still cleaner than some alternatives... 3700 and up let you disconnect either just the L/R amps or all amps. 8500 lets you individually disconnect each amp, but I guess for the price diff you can just externally amp all channels with a 3700, that is if you even need external amplification.

I had a hard time finding proof regarding which room correction system is actually best, which leads me to believe they are all similar in the end (at least in your price range). Arc will do more things automatically, though, so it is worth considering if you want to eq "out of box" without any manual tweaks (although even arc rrquires some). Auddysey will be the worst "out of box", but mostly because it has some bad defaults with nothing automated to change them. To get the most out of arc/audyssey/dirac you will need to understand the same concepts about target curves and subwoofer integration anyway.
Thanks, I read something from Amir before and cant find it again. Pertaining to the DAC's in the Denon. I believe it said 3700,4700 and 6700 use the same DAC but each higher model would sound a bit better. I assume because they add more circuitry in the more expensive models. Was this what he said?

Would you have any input on an Anthem 740 vs the Denon 6700? In reading people say the anthem sounds good but the software is buggy. I don't want to be spending time trouble shooting an AVR. Seems like they have a lot of firm ware updates.

Thanks

GalZohar

I have some friends who are very happy with anrhem. Most won't modify a target curve or use REW to improve subwoofer integration. Note that 740 is single sub, so for multiple subs you will need external DSP (which may also be useful even with Audyssey which handles 2 but is a bit tricky to manually modify relative subwoofer delays if Audyssey didn't get it right). None in that price range can EQ individual subs (besides delay) so for that advanced tweak external DSP is needed anyway.

I haven't seen anyone confirming that any of those devices have an audible difference from the component quality aspect (with blind test). From what I remember from the reviews only the 8500 is a real step up, but probably a waste of money better spent just about anywhere else. If you really want a step up get better room coreection like Dirac with DLBC or lyngdorf, but that is probably well above your budget.

Anthem do have less features than Denon, but the latest ones with latest updates seem to have the important stuff, except loudness compensation. Make sure check if you need hdmi 2.1.

OP
R

Rockman2

So this is probably a dumb question but, since I will be using a monolith 3 channel for the LCR. Would I loose much in terms of sound quality by down sizing to the 4700 from the 6700?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So this is probably a dumb question but, since I will be using a monolith 3 channel for the LCR. Would I loose much in terms of sound quality by down sizing to the 4700 from the 6700?
I think the main advantage of the 6700 is that it can do front wides (if you want those).

GalZohar

And for the 4700 it's mostly just the auro3d upmixing, so if you don't use it might as well get the 3700. There was already a thread with these exact models compared feature-wise.

OP
R

Rockman2

Thanks. I am leaning to the 4700. My home won't be completed till Dec or Jan. Is it possible an new version of these receivers will be out by then?

delta76

Major Contributor
Thanks. I am leaning to the 4700. My home won't be completed till Dec or Jan. Is it possible an new version of these receivers will be out by then?
it looks like it will be next year. 3700 and 4700 are out of stock in many retailers, so it seems they are still struggling with the component shortages. no point introducing new models now if they can meet the demand.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
it looks like it will be next year. 3700 and 4700 are out of stock in many retailers, so it seems they are still struggling with the component shortages. no point introducing new models now if they can meet the demand.
Late summer is usually release date for products that are typically announced by spring, so I think you're right.

Seems like we'll have to wait for 2023 for new AVR's in most manufacturers.

Gary4321

Maybe you should also consider the Marantz Cinema 50 - if using as pre-out from LCR. I think it also does Dirac
I have the SR8015 btw

Top Bottom