• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a budget DAC with usb and line-in

Pversion

As stated, I need a budget DAC (~$100) with USB, Line-In and Line-Out. My audio source will be a laptop connected via USB, with Line-Out from DAC to a vintage amplifier. The Line-In would be for converting old analog sources like tape into files on the laptop. I'm thinking an audio-interface like Scarlett 2i2 might be my best bet. Any recommendations?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Seems like what you're looking for is more along the lines of a consumer-level USB soundcard, rather than an audio interface. Creative X3 or thereabouts. The device to beat may still be the old X-Fi HD, long discontinued... Creative's modern DSP engine is a bit crappy and introduces high levels of 1/f noise for some reason. There may be USB sound dongles that are decent enough but it's a crapshoot.

It should be possible to make a USB audio interface work, but you basically need one that is good in instrument input mode (which most closely resembles a consumer line-in), generally with switched mic/line/inst or XLR mic + TRS line/inst, and a lot of them would require custom-made output cabling (typically RaneNote 110 #10B) unless you get a model with RCA jacks already built-in, like a MOTU M2 (which however would be twice the budget).

OP
P

Pversion

As far as I know, no DAC has a line-in option.
Why don't you lead the line signal directly to the amplifier?
I wouldn't want to potentially add any coloration from the vintage amp when creating a file to archive.

OP
P

Pversion

Seems like what you're looking for is more along the lines of a consumer-level USB soundcard, rather than an audio interface. Creative X3 or thereabouts. The device to beat may still be the old X-Fi HD, long discontinued... Creative's modern DSP engine is a bit crappy and introduces high levels of 1/f noise for some reason. There may be USB sound dongles that are decent enough but it's a crapshoot.

It should be possible to make a USB audio interface work, but you basically need one that is good in instrument input mode (which most closely resembles a consumer line-in), generally with switched mic/line/inst or XLR mic + TRS line/inst, and a lot of them would require custom-made output cabling (typically RaneNote 110 #10B) unless you get a model with RCA jacks already built-in, like a MOTU M2 (which however would be twice the budget).
An external sound card would be fine if that's my best option. I already have tons of odd cables like RCA-to-TS plugs, so cabling isn't an issue.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The Topping E2x2 is $159 and has better ADC performance than the Motu M2 or M4.

MCH

Major Contributor
I use a sound blaster x-fi hd. I have just checked and saw 6 for sale in my local second hand website at around 40 eur. (I think it can be get cheaper). I tested before the Behringer UFO but was too noisy. The sound blaster is perfect for me. I sometimes use it to measure my crazy diy DAC projects and can get values of ca. 90 dB for sinad, not bad!
Note: I do use an external phono preamp, the one built in did not convince me (noise, subjectively)

NickArcade

SteelSeries GameDAC or GameDAC gen 2. But em used on eBay. I just ordered a gen 1 on eBay to tinker around with as I already own one, and I own 2 gen 2s. If you still don't have one I may be able to work something out with you

jindy30

I went for the Tascam US-2x2HR. but i didnt realy need the recording side of things but its a good solid device for in's and out's.

Top Bottom