• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC500 vs NC1200 vs Purifi for Revel F226Be's

radix

Major Contributor
basically you're good with anything that produces clean peak power at 200W and anything extra is a plus.

Thank you. I've been using the Crown calculators too. They show that @ 2.5m, a max power of 385 WPC (bridged AHB2s), with 90 dB sensitivity speakers, i can get 15dB headroom at 93 dB listening SPL. That seems like plenty to me! This is assuming that 2.83v is 1 watt for the F228Be.

Really, most of my listening is around 70 dB, as measured by an iPhone app. That barely needs any amplification. I could almost drive the speakers from line level, if it could provide the current! 100 wpc (a single AHB2) should give me 87 dB SPL @ 2.5m and 15dB headroom.

I think I would still go with 2x AHB2, so when I do want to crank it up, there's something left in the tank, so to speak. And the stuff I'd crank up is likely no where near 15 dB dynamic range, so I'd have a much higher average SPL anyway.

Thanks for the calculations. It was good to work through all the numbers.

Marc

beantownT

Matias, thank you for the welcome. I have read a lot of your posts so it is funny to me that you are the first person to reply.

Regarding the higher powered Purifi modules, when are they expected to be released? Do they have a model #? I have yet to hear about these although I have read that many were hoping for these. Do you think I would benefit from the higher power of the NC500 versus the current Purifi module?
i spoke w/ apollon last night and they mentioned the higher powered purifi will be released mid 2022. He also mentioned that the main advantage of purifi 7040SA is higher current output and at 2ohm speaker loads. If an amp doesnt need them then better to go w/ the existing purifis. Also price of 7040SA will be a lot more than the current batch

i'm on the same boat as the OP - whether to get a stereo purifi or nc1200 - price wise the latter is almost 2x!

Top Bottom