• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3000€ first HiFi system

delta76

Major Contributor
Maybe so. How do you propose that we are able to prove or disprove this? Complicating matters you did not provide a username in your quote. :oops:
oh sorry I was quoting part of his post - did not think about it . that was already deleted

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
oh sorry I was quoting part of his post - did not think about it . that was already deleted
That would explain why I could not find the quote. Thanks…

OP
K

kik

Hi !
What is the composition of the apartment walls/ceiling/floor - drywall? Concrete? Something else? Because you mentioned neighbors all around.
1699457297216.png

more or less like this ! (black: concrete, grey: "normal", yellow: windows, orange: where I'd like to put the speakers). floor tiles

$3-3500€ can buy a lot; will you stop there? How much more might you (or could/would you) possibly decide to spend in the future? Are you an upgrade-bug sorta person?
I'd stop at 3500€. Maybe upgrade in a year or so if really necessary but that's the max for initial investment.
Why buy an MQA-capable DAC if your preferred file format is FLAC?
I've selected the EverSolo DAC Z6 actually because of the physical button to adjust the volume and because it has been positively reviewed
Are you somewhere you can go listen to a handful of different models in person?
It is not easy for me to listen plenty of speakers. And I won't remember what I liked, or why I liked them. Listen to many speaker will likely confusing me more than helping me. I however have auditioned MA Silver 200 7G that I liked, Q Acoustics 3050i a bit less, and focal aria (926?) that I liked too.
How do you plan to listen to music
Probably sitting in the sofa for "active" listening or just walking around in the living room for passive listening.
How loud on average do you listen?
I'd say average+ volume
How flexible is your room layout to achieve that (some help from DSP can be had, but that only goes so far)?
The room won't change
Do you tend to grow bored with same-y stuff
I'd not change the speakers because it takes times. But I like tweaking stuff and I'd see myself playing with EQ, to get the most our of the system. But once that's done, I'll spend time listening to music.
What appearance(s) is your partner comfortable with in “statement” furniture?
Didn't understand sorry. If the question refer to the look of the speaker, old-fashioned look like the Wharfedale Lintons are nogo. Speakers I mentioned before passed the WAF.
Hopefully that’s clearer than mud
:)

OP
K

kik

Regarding speakers: in that price range I'd personally go for either KEF R7 or Wharfedale Lintons (and save some money with the latter). Though maybe the vintage look is not your thing.
The KEF R7 are 5y old now from what I see, is it still a good recommendation? I found them at 2200€/CHF, is it considered as a good deal?

benanders

Hi !

View attachment 324746
more or less like this ! (black: concrete, grey: "normal", yellow: windows, orange: where I'd like to put the speakers). floor tiles

Wow, black = concrete… seems like an uncomfortable couch IMO. And you will enjoy the music more if the couch does not face up to the ceiling :p
Joking aside, it is a complex room. The concrete walls / corners may boost your towers’ bass capability, which can be good. The large windows and tile floor may cause reflection issues, even with DSP, which is not good. Never mind for now as there are ways to help that, both temporary and inexpensive. The original space you mentioned 27m^2 I think - does that include kitchen? It is relevant for SPL and efficiency.

I'd stop at 3500€. Maybe upgrade in a year or so if really necessary but that's the max for initial investment.

Good. Useful to consider for the specific components’ “relative values” in your longer-term goals. Portions of that budget.

I've selected the EverSolo DAC Z6 actually because of the physical button to adjust the volume and because it has been positively reviewed

Both of those things (volume knob and good measurements) are available for dozens of DACs at or well below that price point. If you just like the way the Eversolo looks, that’s a different matter.

It is not easy for me to listen plenty of speakers. And I won't remember what I liked, or why I liked them. Listen to many speaker will likely confusing me more than helping me. I however have auditioned MA Silver 200 7G that I liked, Q Acoustics 3050i a bit less, and focal aria (926?) that I liked too.

Good to know you heard at least one speaker on your list. How similar / dissimilar was room size and construct to yours?
Hearing a number of speakers is very useful for considering which characteristics of music playback captivate you most. You’re also correct in assuming hearing too many speakers can become confusing. And if show rooms aren’t available in your area, well, easy answer, eh?

Probably sitting in the sofa for "active" listening or just walking around in the living room for passive listening.

Traditional use. DSP will usually help the main listening spot but often at the expense of other areas.

I'd say average+ volume

what? What?? WHAAAT??? :D

The room won't change

That makes your list of options shorter - can be a good thing!

I'd not change the speakers because it takes times. But I like tweaking stuff and I'd see myself playing with EQ, to get the most our of the system. But once that's done, I'll spend time listening to music.

A resolution to keep your choice of speakers makes things much easier if you do not fall into the habit of changing other components (DAC, amp, cables…) expecting them to breathe new life+love into the system as a whole. So I think that’s good too, if you can stay with it.

If you like to tinker in software / settings, I double-down on my recommendation to learn more about DSP, the different devices that permit it (miniDSP is not the only one!), options for integration with various software platforms via server providers, etc. I suspect much of this can be done from your computer with USB mic and active USB cable (to reach the Main Listening Position from computer). Freeware and 30-day trials could really be your friend here.

Didn't understand sorry. If the question refer to the look of the speaker, old-fashioned look like the Wharfedale Lintons are nogo. Speakers I mentioned before passed the WAF.

:)

No worry - you understood. Good - the other three speaker models are pretty typical “modern traditional” appearance, so your options are not much limited by “visual” boundaries.

I definitely have criteria for prioritizing between speaker models that can apply to the three you listed. I’ll circle back to that topic soon once time permits me, in case it’s of interest.

OP
K

kik

Wow, black = concrete… seems like an uncomfortable couch IMO. And you will enjoy the music more if the couch does not face up to the ceiling :p
Joking aside, it is a complex room. The concrete walls / corners may boost your towers’ bass capability, which can be good. The large windows and tile floor may cause reflection issues, even with DSP, which is not good. Never mind for now as there are ways to help that, both temporary and inexpensive. The original space you mentioned 27m^2 I think - does that include kitchen? It is relevant for SPL and efficiency.

Good. Useful to consider for the specific components’ “relative values” in your longer-term goals. Portions of that budget.

Both of those things (volume knob and good measurements) are available for dozens of DACs at or well below that price point. If you just like the way the Eversolo looks, that’s a different matter.

Good to know you heard at least one speaker on your list. How similar / dissimilar was room size and construct to yours?
Hearing a number of speakers is very useful for considering which characteristics of music playback captivate you most. You’re also correct in assuming hearing too many speakers can become confusing. And if show rooms aren’t available in your area, well, easy answer, eh?

Traditional use. DSP will usually help the main listening spot but often at the expense of other areas.

what? What?? WHAAAT??? :D

That makes your list of options shorter - can be a good thing!

A resolution to keep your choice of speakers makes things much easier if you do not fall into the habit of changing other components (DAC, amp, cables…) expecting them to breathe new life+love into the system as a whole. So I think that’s good too, if you can stay with it.

If you like to tinker in software / settings, I double-down on my recommendation to learn more about DSP, the different devices that permit it (miniDSP is not the only one!), options for integration with various software platforms via server providers, etc. I suspect much of this can be done from your computer with USB mic and active USB cable (to reach the Main Listening Position from computer). Freeware and 30-day trials could really be your friend here.

No worry - you understood. Good - the other three speaker models are pretty typical “modern traditional” appearance, so your options are not much limited by “visual” boundaries.

I definitely have criteria for prioritizing between speaker models that can apply to the three you listed. I’ll circle back to that topic soon once time permits me, in case it’s of interest.
The living room alone is 27.5m2, the kitchen is 6m2, so it's 33.5m2 all together, without the corridor going up.

I also decided to go for the Factal Aria 936 because there're on sales, the 946 would likely be overkill for my space. I'd need good, beefy amp stable on 2.8ohm region or even lower, to partner with the Factat.

Room correction, OK, but on a miniDSP-like device or on the desktop with Dirac Live software, from where I play my music?

Thanks!

PeterNL

The living room alone is 27.5m2, the kitchen is 6m2, so it's 33.5m2 all together, without the corridor going up.

I also decided to go for the Factal Aria 936 because there're on sales, the 946 would likely be overkill for my space. I'd need good, beefy amp stable on 2.8ohm region or even lower, to partner with the Factat.

Room correction, OK, but on a miniDSP-like device or on the desktop with Dirac Live software, from where I play my music?

Thanks!
Apollon Hyper NCx500 ST looks like the winner next to similar products from Audiophonics or Nilai500, for Dirac Live PC wait until black friday deals (30% discount), Focal Aria 936 are very nice speakers and they need good amplification (2.8 Ohm dip in low/mid bass area), looks like Apollon is overkill but later when You would use Dirac Live room correction, You will loose some headroom (boosting dips etc, you will need to compensate it in preamp of Dirac processor to avoid clipping), adding 10dB headroom is also important.
So actually You have to find good DAC with XLR outputs and high voltage output (4V or higher, 5-10V would be perfect to drive Apollon in low gain mode but using lower voltage you will loose only few dB Sinad which is still OK.

Maybe someone who owns ncx500 or similar can help You choosing a good DAC/Preamp in Your budget. I use a cheap Smsl Sanskrit 10th MK2 (paid 40€ second hand) and i am totally fine with it.

Last edited:

Dromashe

Exactly my budget.
Used Marantz pm14-mkII 1600
Used Opticon 6 - 750 (instead of 2000).
New gustard x18 - 600
+ wires

Total is marginally more than 3k

Top Bottom