• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

PeteL

Major Contributor
The discontinued Chromecast Audio. Optical and analog out. Sync them, stream from anything, and just enjoy that it works. They aren't $15 anymore, but can be had all day for $50.
Thanks, definitely could be interested, but those I see on ebay are all more than 100$ tough (130cdn), those available to Canada anyway. I paid 150 cdn for my older 1st gen node, got lucky, it's exactly the same firmware, same hi-res and mqa support if that matters, still upgradable, and obviously the same BluOS app. I don't use it's DAC, the e30 does sound better to me.
To the "Upsell me"part, For me what I think I would miss It would be that to do something like controlling playback from my tablet or phone of files stored on a server or a computer, one would need Roon Am I correct? Then we are already in a totally different price Bracket, or could you do that with volumnio and sync a remote computer to cca?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
For me what I think I would miss It would be that to do something like controlling playback from my tablet or phone of files stored on a server or a computer, one would need Roon Am I correct?

There are a couple of choices, including a Python script for Audirvana (haven't tried that), using the Plex system (much cheaper than Roon), or YouTube Music (Premium let's you stream uploaded files) once Google Play disappears.

Looks like they are cheaper here:

Screenshot_20200827-052927.png

Timbo2

Thanks, definitely could be interested, but those I see on ebay are all more than 100$ tough (130cdn), those available to Canada anyway. I paid 150 cdn for my older 1st gen node, got lucky, it's exactly the same firmware, same hi-res and mqa support if that matters, still upgradable, and obviously the same BluOS app. I don't use it's DAC, the e30 does sound better to me.
To the "Upsell me"part, For me what I think I would miss It would be that to do something like controlling playback from my tablet or phone of files stored on a server or a computer, one would need Roon Am I correct? Then we are already in a totally different price Bracket, or could you do that with volumnio and sync a remote computer to cca?

Funny enough - I just wrote this a few minutes ago. Maybe a Mi Box?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...keiid-kd-w01-streaming-dac.15612/#post-497611

Flak

Industry Insider

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
"Given the breathless prose in so many equipment reviews, one might think that there’s a constant stream of step-level improvements in sound quality for home audio; in reality, major change only happens every decade or two"

From here...
https://audioxpress.com/article/fresh-from-the-bench-nad-m10-masters-series-streaming-amplifier
Wow, that writer ought to get a Pulitzer Prize!

And seriously, thanks for all the help and explanations along the way. I unreservedly recommend Dirac, which was a huge improvement to my system’s sound.

BillG

Major Contributor
For me what I think I would miss It would be that to do something like controlling playback from my tablet or phone of files stored on a server or a computer, one would need Roon Am I correct?

No, there are a number of far less expensive options for that. My favorite, which is perfectly adequate even in its freeware guise, is the following:

https://emby.media/

Please don't let its video-centric marketing dissuade you; I've used it for several years now in a pure audio environment, and it works very well. As a bonus, the freeware version even allows access to ones media library outside of a home network via cellular and wifi - I occasionally stream from my home server while grocery shopping.

It's compatible with Google Cast, and UPnP/DLNA.

Here's a screenshot of its Android client:

tia1980995282857913447.png

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Integration and convenience; once we got it connected to the network, everything was easy and intuitive. Love the use of my phone to control my system and the music. I honestly don't care about the appearance- it's less impressive than the rack of gear it replaced.
If I may ask, why didn't you go for the bigger M33?
With extra phono and XLR inputs/outputs, Purifi amps, etc that one looks like a much better all-in-one 'lifestyle' device to me ...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If I may ask, why didn't you go for the bigger M33?
With extra phono and XLR inputs/outputs, Purifi amps, etc that one looks like a much better all-in-one 'lifestyle' device to me ...
It wasn’t offered to me for review yet. At some point, I’ll have one in for review and test, but the price is well past what I can afford.

I’m only using one analog input, so that’s not a big driver for me.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wasn’t offered to me for review yet. At some point, I’ll have one in for review and test, but the price is well past what I can afford.

I’m only using one analog input, so that’s not a big driver for me.
oh ok, I thought maybe there was something wrong with it. IMO the M10 is pretty seriously overpriced but the ~ $1000 extra for the M33 seems ok-ish. Especially if it measures much better.
It was a pretty pleasant surprise that NAD did not overprice M33 so much (compared to M10). Turns out I was looking at the wrong device prices (thanks @Puddingbuks for the hint).
M10 - €2999
M33 - €5499 !!!
That is a very different number. The M33 is even more overpriced than the M10 and not even close to worth it.

M33 = SHD + PurifiAmp + Phono = €1300 + €1200 + €200 ~= €2700.
Let's be very generous and say that many would pay €1300 extra for design, the advantages of all-in-one, local service, brand pedigree, etc. That would be a total of €4000 and still leaves €1500 of 'pure' overprice.

P.S.
@amirm any sign of a M33 on your review list?

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
IMO the M10 is pretty seriously overpriced but the ~ $1000 extra for the M33 seems ok-ish. Especially if it measures much better.
In Europe it’s 2500 euro’s more.

ElNino

"Given the breathless prose in so many equipment reviews, one might think that there’s a constant stream of step-level improvements in sound quality for home audio; in reality, major change only happens every decade or two"

From here...
https://audioxpress.com/article/fresh-from-the-bench-nad-m10-masters-series-streaming-amplifier

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, isn't the following in that review inverted?
With linear phase, the phase is not corrected, just the magnitude. With minimum phase, the phase can be corrected, but the possibility of audible pre-ringing becomes an issue.
It's linear phase correction where pre-ringing becomes an issue.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US the M10 is $2750 and the M33 is $5000. I’m told those prices are negotiable at a dealer.
$5000 for the M33 is almost reasonable compared to the €5499 list price in the EU (~$6500 at the current exchange rate). Visited a dealer on Sat and the guy kept talking about "european product/company/support/etc". Wtf is still EU about NAD?! Their bank accounts?
Not much of a discount either, he was playing the "new, amazing product" tune and did not even have one for demo.
So I just had a great weekend since I 'saved' >€5000 :)

Flak

Industry Insider
$5000 for the M33 is almost reasonable compared to the €5499 list price in the EU (~$6500 at the current exchange rate).

I think that the difference is caused by custom duties (don't know the percentage) and VAT (i.e. 22% here).
By the way here a video about the NAD M33 if interested:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the difference is caused by custom duties (don't know the percentage) and VAT (i.e. 22% here).
By the way here a video about the NAD M33 if interested:
Probably a large factor. So much about that "european product" bull.
Thanks for the video but at that price I don't care anymore.

Last edited:

Sukram

I purchased the NAD M10 together with the Focal Aria 948 and SVS SB2000. I know Focal speakers. When I listened to the system the first time,
the hights were harsh, shrill, I thought it would be a matter of time to smooth out. It didn't. After fiddling around with DIRAC without positive results I blamed the Focals and ordered a pair of Magnepan 1,7i.
I didn't receive them yet. Because they're power-hungry, I decided to buy a stronger power amp. After thorough investigations, I chose the no-fuss VTV Purif power amp. I received the amplifier 2 weeks ago. To make the long story short the VTV together with the M10 as a pre-amp made the Focal sing like a $10,000 speaker. The difference was like day and night. I don't know what NAD did with the n-core, but it is not good.
This purify amp is amazing, I can hear the room (McKinnett, Alhambra.) The sound is completely detached from the speakers. Let's see with the Magnepaners.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased the NAD M10 together with the Focal Aria 948 and SVS SB2000. I know Focal speakers. When I listened to the system the first time,
the hights were harsh, shrill, I thought it would be a matter of time to smooth out. It didn't. After fiddling around with DIRAC without positive results I blamed the Focals and ordered a pair of Magnepan 1,7i.
I didn't receive them yet. Because they're power-hungry, I decided to buy a stronger power amp. After thorough investigations, I chose the no-fuss VTV Purif power amp. I received the amplifier 2 weeks ago. To make the long story short the VTV together with the M10 as a pre-amp made the Focal sing like a $10,000 speaker. The difference was like day and night. I don't know what NAD did with the n-core, but it is not good.
This purify amp is amazing, I can hear the room (McKinnett, Alhambra.) The sound is completely detached from the speakers. Let's see with the Magnepaners.
IMHO, the M10 is simply not Powerful enough to drive the 948s properly:
NAD M10 BluOS STREAMING AMPLIFIER Coax In Power into 8 ohm Audio Measurements.png

In my experience, no Aria speakers should sound "harsh" by any means. Your impressions seem to be related to some lack of power, with your M10 coming closer to the clipping point.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Which purifi amp did you order ? Whats the wattage?

Top Bottom