• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

PeteL

Major Contributor
As pointed out above, the SHD is a better one to start with.

But this is like the arguments for or against building a PC vs buying a branded one.

Convenience vs customizability to one's needs (or alternatively better specs for a similar price) if one is willing to do the work.

The main reason these kinds of comparisons are not very useful is because it ignores the fact that not everyone uses every feature of a device (the M10 or a PC) to do a feature-by-feature clone. If you could make a case with feature-by-feature clone, then NAD product management would have done a bad job.

The amp, Dirac, Streaming capability is the core common usage for tis unit. The rest varies by whether you need the feature and if you did can you do better? Would you really use the analog inputs here given the performance of the ADC or can you get a better one that has a better sampling rate if you really needed an analog input? For some, not having a physical remote control is a showstopper. For some, that is the future.

Being labeled "lifestyle" seems to be bothering you. Apologies for bringing that up. :)
No worries, not bothered at all by the lifestyle term, as I said, not "only lifestyle" You bring good points, I disagree with "not very useful" I was just pointing out that for many people it could replace a bunch of equipment and it would be possible to have performance than most could be happy with. Not everybody, and probably not the majority here. Yes, you can do better, personally yes, I would use the analog in, not at this point of my journey tough, but I have no reason to believe a 44k adc would degrade the sound of my turntable, tuner and I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't benefit from room correction. The thing is, it will be quite complicated with my current setup and for this I'll probably drop the idea and have dirac only on my digital sources. Yes, I like my system, and at this point I want dsp room correction and I will slowly shop for the right dsp processor instead of selling everything and spit out 3k, I agree with that, it's part of the hobby, I like it, and that's why I'm here. And I will add another grand or so to the cost of my system, for this feature, it's worth it for me. I'm just saying that in my case, for my need, my system is considerably more costly than this, and maybe I could be happy with this if I was not that far in.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Interesting. I see the opposite.

I think the bolded is the opposite of reality. It is the audiophile who spends needlessly on bling and gaining online cred from other audiophiles.

Buying antiquated technology like class A amps, or record players, or vacuum tube buffers, or multi thousand dollar external DACS and building a quarter-ton shrine of gear in the middle of your living space, is not utilitarian. It is a fetish or romanticism. It is, sometimes in the eyes of the fetishist, a status symbol. It is the audiophile who alternates tweaking his vacuum tubes and tweaking his nipples.

The pragmatist seeks an efficient, practical solution. They want a product that does the job whithout dominating their space, and they want it at a sensible price. 'Lifestyle' most often is a patronizing term used online by audiophiles to dismiss products bought by non-cultists.

strawman.jpg

Audiophile™

So people who buy the M10 are not audiophiles? I though they loved how a system sounded to them. Or is it just the looks then? Wait that is a lifestyle buyer, so audiophiles are really nipple-tweaking cultists that buy lifestyle products but they are also the ones that accuse others of buying lifestyle products ugh... I am so confused now with all of these terms and contorted definitions. :)

Have I landed up in an Apple forum?

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
After I opened the Spotify app, I went back into BlueOS and it shows whats playing on Spotify and I can Play/Pause/Skip and change volume but cannot go through genres, artists and playlists etc. inside the BlueOS app like I can with Tidal or Qobuz.

If I hit the three vertical dots, it asks me to open the Spotify app

So It seems like Spotify works with the BlueOS app the same way Roon does. Minimal control.

I vaguely remember this. I had the Node for a couple of weeks before returning it (not because I disliked it). I guess I was thinking more about integration of Spotify as a whole. What I mean by that is that the streaming is from BluOS and not the app on your mobile device. Perhaps Spotify isn’t completely integrated with the bluos app in the same way as tidal (or others?). But that seems somewhat trivial since you can use the Spotify app to Completely control it, right?

Karbunkle

As it so happens, the M10's case is not plastic, but one-piece extruded and anodised aluminium with CNC machining. From what I understand, top cover and display cover are gorilla glass (don't ask me which version).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I believe the one you are refering to is discontinued. but yes it would work for some.

The discontinued Chromecast Audio. Optical and analog out. Sync them, stream from anything, and just enjoy that it works. They aren't $15 anymore, but can be had all day for $50.

iLoveCats

The discontinued Chromecast Audio. Optical and analog out. Sync them, stream from anything, and just enjoy that it works. They aren't $15 anymore, but can be had all day for $50.
I have a Chromecast Audio for my garage and two BluOS devices in the house. I'm going to choose BluOS every single time over the Chromecast. It's just like saying all cars are the same and the reasoning is they all have a motor, wheels and a seat. BluOS and Chromecast do the same thing at their very basic function, but that's as far as the Chromecast goes. It's ugly and basic but gets the job done.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There's features and experience beyond that bare bones basic function.

But none that I need or even want...at least none I know of, but I haven't used the BS system. CCA is a sync'able, lossless transport/streamer, which is all I need. I never have any connection or playback issues.

What am I missing? I'm assuming you aren't saying it sounds better. You clearly own both, so have *real* reasons to prefer the one to the other. Can you tell me what about the experience you prefer? Sincerely asking.

My use is a couple go into old receivers (optical and analog), a couple go into powered speakers (analog), and a few go into DAC's (optical). All are individually controllable from my phone, sync perfectly, and will play all day with no drops or issues.

Mostly stream through Roon, but also straight from Tidal, Qobuz, YouTube Music (which I like a lot actually), and whatever else has the little streamer icon with no trouble.

Upsell me.

iLoveCats

Upsell me.

Its just prettier to look at I guess, much like the M10. I can't say that it does one thing that the Chromecast/Google Home interface doesn't do eventually through the manufacturers app. The preset function in BluOS is nice, I have radio stations in Tune In and I Heart Radio that are one button presets in BluOS, same with personal play lists. BlueOS offers total control over devices like the M10 from your phone or desktop app (that's why there's no remote for the M10. BlueOS offers partial control on my Node 2i, just like the CCA, I can put it on a fixed input to my integrated and do volume through the app but I choose not to.

So I'm not much of a salesman. I guess i like shiny stuff.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Nothing wrong with that!

I have the odd shiny thing or two myself...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nothing wrong with that!

Integration and convenience; once we got it connected to the network, everything was easy and intuitive. Love the use of my phone to control my system and the music. I honestly don't care about the appearance- it's less impressive than the rack of gear it replaced.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Upsell me.

Airplay, wired Ethernet, it's a preamp with subwoofer and headphone outputs (although with a lousy DAC), and doesn't need an internet connection or Google account. Probably more reasons for some people. Not actually trying to upsell you because if you needed any of these things you wouldn't be happy with a Chromecast.

I had CCAs in my house and liked them a lot, but they didn't accommodate guests with iPhones and Apple Music. I have a Node 2 and Powernode 2i now and have been very happy with them, although I don't use the DAC in the Node anymore so a CCA isn't far from it in function.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we can accept 1% THD as the distortion limit, it goes well past 160W.

View attachment 79855
I think I have a handle on the dynamic power question now. I did not realize that Anir's burst test uses 1% distortion as the limiter. I guess this this is standard? So in fact, the M10 really has no dynamic overhead at all, the NAD dynamic power spec is just the same as the 1% continuous spec. It seems disingenuous of NAD to imply that it does have dynamic overhead in their specifications. No dynamic overhead is confirmed in the HiFi News review (thanks for the link @Matias ):

https://www.hifinews.com/content/nad-m10-streaming-amplifier-lab-report
Rated at '100W into 8/4ohms', in practice the M10 delivers a remarkably 'stiff' 2x100W/8ohm and 2x200W/4ohm, the comprehensively-regulated switchmode PSU actually restricting any headroom under dynamic conditions to 99W, 196W, 257W and 178W into 8, 4, 2 and 1ohm

Compare with Amir's burst test of the NAD C268, another NAD Class D amplifier that does in fact have a lot of dynamic power.

D

Deleted member 19195

Its just prettier to look at I guess, much like the M10. I can't say that it does one thing that the Chromecast/Google Home interface doesn't do eventually through the manufacturers app. The preset function in BluOS is nice, I have radio stations in Tune In and I Heart Radio that are one button presets in BluOS, same with personal play lists. BlueOS offers total control over devices like the M10 from your phone or desktop app (that's why there's no remote for the M10. BlueOS offers partial control on my Node 2i, just like the CCA, I can put it on a fixed input to my integrated and do volume through the app but I choose not to.

Nothing wrong with that!

exactly. Honest answer. Choosing based on appearance is a valid personal choice. Just don't argue that it sounds better. Of course we know that we are all susceptible to confirmation bias based on how things look.

REK2575

I've found BluOS to be a very reliable and user-friendly way of controlling the Node 2i. People shouldn't get hung up on the Spotify issue -- you don't need to use BluOS to play Spotify over the Node 2i. You can simply use the Spotify app itself and select the Node 2i as the streamer within it. You can still keep Spotify as an option in the BluOS menu along with other streaming services, if only for the ease of 'having everything in one place'. That's what I do.

From my experience, BluOS plays very nicely indeed with Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon HD, and Spotify. I've been using Qobuz and Spotify as my subscription services for a long while now (after spending time with Tidal and also giving Amazon HD a try when it launched). I absolutely love the ease with which BluOS lets you stream these services.

If I have a minor complaint about BluOS, it's that the UI is a bit bland. But this really is a cosmetic thing. I do like the look of Qobuz's and Spotify's UIs more (I particularly liked Amazon HD's UI). Bluesound supports BluOS pretty robustly with updates as well.

WR1

600 for Blue OS when you have a chrome cast for 40? And optical out of your tv instead and coax from chrome cast etc. For a pure stereo you have a competitive system for half the price.
The only valid reason for the Nad is Dirac bass Management which I don’t think is there yet anyway...
Optical out from my Samsung TV sounds noticeably worse than HDMI and is limited to 16bit/48Khz.

Soundstage

Optical out from my Samsung TV sounds noticeably worse than HDMI and is limited to 16bit/48Khz. Don't really care about bitrate or resolution but as I mentioned, you can easily tell the difference.
Maybe you have a filter on.

Top Bottom