• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I give up!

So did I. :D

I've swapped out for an M33, used Purifi and Parasound as power amp substitutes... no different other than max volume before clipping. I'm thinking that it's my end-game component for stereo.

[QUOTE="SIY, post: 606812, member: 1770" used Purifi and Parasound as power amp substitutes... no different other than max volume before clipping.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. So when upgraditus hit's I'll probably just sell the M10 and get the M33, by then I should be able to find it used for a decent price. I'm a little confused on that part I quoted you on. Are you adding an additional Purify amp? And what is the Parasound component? What's the purpose there if you don't mind me asking

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks, yeah I'm definitely hunting value/performance. I like the idea of separates because I can get best-in-class amp/dac/dsp which should remain stable and then the streamer tech just might need to be replaced every so often.

The SHD streamer doesn't fit the bill for me as it has Volumio and is an integrated component with DSP+Streamer. I'm looking at:

NODE 2i (Streamer) - 550$
DDRC-22D (DSP with Dirac...does this thing have bass management ?_?) - 600$
Some Purify base (Amp)
RME ADI2 (Dac that was mentioned here)

But where can I get an HDMI input into this chain and multiple sub outs 2-4? Would you need the SHD just for the subouts and an AVR for video? So far I'm finding that getting a comparable setup to the M10 to be a bit of work, but I'm determined! haha
Out if curiosity, at what volume do you have to play the nad m10. When I demoed at the dealer the volume had to be like 90-95 out of 100 in order to make it reasonably loud (didnt measure but I’d say around 85db). That’s the reason I chose not to go with it, felt like there was no headroom in it.

Kachda

Forum Donor
[QUOTE="SIY, post: 606812, member: 1770" used Purifi and Parasound as power amp substitutes... no different other than max volume before clipping.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. So when upgraditus hit's I'll probably just sell the M10 and get the M33, by then I should be able to find it used for a decent price. I'm a little confused on that part I quoted you on. Are you adding an additional Purify amp? And what is the Parasound component? What's the purpose there if you don't mind me asking
Using them as the power amp instead of the inbuilt amps in nad m10 I’m guessing

Out if curiosity, at what volume do you have to play the nad m10. When I demoed at the dealer the volume had to be like 90-95 out of 100 in order to make it reasonably loud (didnt measure but I’d say around 85db). That’s the reason I chose not to go with it, felt like there was no headroom in it.

I usually have it around 60-70%. Plenty of headroom for me. I'm also using subs to handle the lower frequencies so I feel my speakers have all the juice they need for mids/highs. I think ascends sierra 2-ex's are pretty efficient as well so that might help.

Using them as the power amp instead of the inbuilt amps in nad m10 I’m guessing

I get using an external amp as I believe I saw in the review the DAC measures better if using an external amp...but why 2 amps... One for each speaker? Wouldn't the speakers end up with different volume levels or Dirac probably level matches it I suppose.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I usually have it around 60-70%. Plenty of headroom for me. I'm also using subs to handle the lower frequencies so I feel my speakers have all the juice they need for mids/highs. I think ascends sierra 2-ex's are pretty efficient as well so that might help.

I get using an external amp as I believe I saw in the review the DAC measures better if using an external amp...but why 2 amps... One for each speaker? Wouldn't the speakers end up with different volume levels or Dirac probably level matches it I suppose.
Ok. I dont use subs in my apt so definitely need more juice.
Don’t want to speak for @SIY but I think he meant he tried using both the purifi and the parasound separately to compare against the inbuilt amps of the m10. He does review equipment online so he probably compares stuff often.

Waynefi

Fills my living room with plenty of sound with my Larsen 87db 8 ohm speakers at about 50/60% of the volume level, using using the Full version of Dirac.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

The M10 has a Preamp Output which can be used to run a bigger power amp like @Kachda speculated. I get amps in frequently for review in AudioXpress magazine, so I'll substitute them for the M10's power amp. Substitution further upstream runs into the issue of Dirac, which is such an improvement that it sort of overwhelms everything else. I seriously have not been able to go back to my old rig once Dirac (I also use the full range version) showed up.

Waynefi

Well overall I am liking the M10 and not missing all the Audiophile and non Audiophle stuff from the past. Is it over priced, are cars overpriced, I could go on ? I guess with all the circuits and amp modules now available, anybody can buy some black boxes and be in the audio business. It's a pretty classy box of aluminum and Gorilla glass. All the features I use work flawlessly. I never was a Bluos software fan, to clumsy imo. But the M10 with Qobuz and Roon and a hard drive again work flawlessly. The pretty little box just sits there and does it thing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well overall I am liking the M10 and not missing all the Audiophile and non Audiophle stuff from the past. Is it over priced, are cars overpriced, I could go on ? I guess with all the circuits and amp modules now available, anybody can buy some black boxes and be in the audio business. It's a pretty classy box of aluminum and Gorilla glass. All the features I use work flawlessly. I never was a Bluos software fan, to clumsy imo. But the M10 with Qobuz and Roon and a hard drive again work flawlessly. The pretty little box just sits there and does it thing.

In my review, I referred to it as a "lifestyle product," but pointed out that it wasn't meant pejoratively. It really is a musical appliance in the positive sense.

gwicks

Just bought an M10 after reading this whole thread. After reading the review I crossed it off my list and went down the Nord / SHD / Node etc separate rabbit hole. After 20 hours of research I realised I no longer have the time I used or, or get the same pleasure from obsessing over every component that I used to. I'm driving 4 Ohm, 85dB 3 way floor standers, and was worried about oomph, but it's fine. Really loud requires 90% on the dial, and while I would like a bit more headroom...... it's just all so simple with the M10. The wife is OK with it (it's tiny compared to my old Marantz!). It honestly feels like the Apple-ification of audio gear. The UI is simple, and everything just works. There is no power switch! I want to stream some music, 2 seconds later I'm streaming music! It's effortless, and all the friction between thought and result is gone.

I was worried I was making a big mistake buying something the opposite of what I would have bought 10 or 20 years ago. But I love it. I'm listening to way more music than I was a month ago, because it's just easier now. 100% would recommend.

Waynefi

Just bought an M10 after reading this whole thread. After reading the review I crossed it off my list and went down the Nord / SHD / Node etc separate rabbit hole. After 20 hours of research I realised I no longer have the time I used or, or get the same pleasure from obsessing over every component that I used to. I'm driving 4 Ohm, 85dB 3 way floor standers, and was worried about oomph, but it's fine. Really loud requires 90% on the dial, and while I would like a bit more headroom...... it's just all so simple with the M10. The wife is OK with it (it's tiny compared to my old Marantz!). It honestly feels like the Apple-ification of audio gear. The UI is simple, and everything just works. There is no power switch! I want to stream some music, 2 seconds later I'm streaming music! It's effortless, and all the friction between thought and result is gone.

I was worried I was making a big mistake buying something the opposite of what I would have bought 10 or 20 years ago. But I love it. I'm listening to way more music than I was a month ago, because it's just easier now. 100% would recommend.

My sentiments exactly. This is the least expensive system I have ever had, by 10-20K or more Everything works fine for me and the interfaces with ROON are awesome. I am in the process of dumping all my previous gear. I run everything over ethernet, I never use wifi for any home entertainment items. Dirac Full, solves many problems allowing me to move all my stuff into one living room, that is not an ideal stereo room. Good luck with yours.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In my review, I referred to it as a "lifestyle product," but pointed out that it wasn't meant pejoratively. It really is a musical appliance in the positive sense.
I really enjoyed reading your review @SIY ! The measured numbers and discussion of Dirac correction was very interesting. I wonder sometimes why so many insist on using DRC only in the bass range when the better software used correctly can make a valuable improvement to a systems sound run full range?
One man's ceiling is another man's floor, I guess.

Reactions: SIY

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got an M10 for our living room system. Setup was simple connecting it to the network, enabled roon endpoint... music plays. Next test is checking out the two other sources in this room... Apple Tv and Dishnetwork. Will see how ARC works with it or if I need to use an optical cable from the TV instead. Thanks to @SIY and others posting their experience. So far so good.

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Got an M10 for our living room system. Setup was simple connecting it to the network, enabled roon endpoint... music plays. Next test is checking out the two other sources in this room... Apple Tv and Dishnetwork. Will see how ARC works with it or if I need to use an optical cable from the TV instead. Thanks to @SIY and others posting their experience. So far so good.

Wait until you set up Dirac. Life-changing if you're careful with the measurement process.

Top Bottom