• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

Alexx

@ianjamila
Thank you so much kind.

I was thinking of taking it too to be able to make the most of the 399 (it's not cheap in Italy 620 euros).

As a network player can you confirm that it also gets free internet radio?

Can I recall the memorized stations (at least the first 9) also from the Nad remote control?
Thank you very much.

panther

Ots just me or binding posts are screaming cheap?
Compared to some other stuff they are not "high end". I think NAD probably bought a ton of them and keep using them on most of their amps. However 99.99% of the time I don't look at them and my cables have stayed secured so good enough.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well i rolled my eyes at "flagship classic series"

i suspect you will get better fittings on the "flagship Master series"

i think it fits that mid range NAD aesthetic and yes, NAD want some product differentiation between a $2,000 unit and a $5,000 unit

Last edited:

ianjamila

@ianjamila
Thank you so much kind.

I was thinking of taking it too to be able to make the most of the 399 (it's not cheap in Italy 620 euros).

As a network player can you confirm that it also gets free internet radio?

Can I recall the memorized stations (at least the first 9) also from the Nad remote control?
Thank you very much.
The nodule is worth it due to DIRAC and Blu-OS

I'm pretty sure it has internet radio from the likes of pandora etc but I do not use that functionality.

Alexx

Thanks for the tips.

I ask you if you can have without switching from Nad 399 plus MDC2 module (to be able to use it as a network reader) or it is better to take the cambridge Evo 150

In terms of sound quality, what can differentiate Evo 150 from Nad 399?

Is the sound always "warm" and neutral with an untiring mid-high range or is the Evo 150 more unbalanced in the mid-highs? (some people on the net say that cambridge can be tiring with long plays).

Have you had the opportunity to compare them?

By selling the Nad and saving 600 euros on the add-on module, I can get the Evo 150 without adding any more money, but I'm afraid it's a mistake.

For dirac it doesn't matter that Evo 150 doesn't have it, the important thing is the sound quality.
A thousand thanks.

ianjamila

Thanks for the tips.

I ask you if you can have without switching from Nad 399 plus MDC2 module (to be able to use it as a network reader) or it is better to take the cambridge Evo 150

In terms of sound quality, what can differentiate Evo 150 from Nad 399?

Is the sound always "warm" and neutral with an untiring mid-high range or is the Evo 150 more unbalanced in the mid-highs? (some people on the net say that cambridge can be tiring with long plays).

Have you had the opportunity to compare them?

By selling the Nad and saving 600 euros on the add-on module, I can get the Evo 150 without adding any more money, but I'm afraid it's a mistake.

For dirac it doesn't matter that Evo 150 doesn't have it, the important thing is the sound quality.
A thousand thanks.
No, it will only have bluetooth if you don't get the MDC2 module.

I cannot really say because I have not heard the Evo 150 myself.

Watch on youtube Darko's channel which talks about products which use room correction such as DIRAC. It's a real game changer.

Alexx

An information.

I finally found the Bluos MDC 2 module in Italy (650 euros the price is a bit high).

Can I configure Dirac with the active subwoofer turned off? the Subwoofer (B&W 25cm) already has its volume and dedicated electronic crossover with which I am very comfortable setting it to my liking.

With Dirac I would just like to get the Kef R3 loudspeakers, is it possible?

Does the paid version of Dirac also help with mid-high frequencies? they are the ones where I have the most problems, with the basic version I don't solve anything as it only acts on the bass and I am already happy with it.

Thank you

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An information.

I finally found the Bluos MDC 2 module in Italy (650 euros the price is a bit high).

Can I configure Dirac with the active subwoofer turned off? the Subwoofer (B&W 25cm) already has its volume and dedicated electronic crossover with which I am very comfortable setting it to my liking.

With Dirac I would just like to get the Kef R3 loudspeakers, is it possible?

Does the paid version of Dirac also help with mid-high frequencies? they are the ones where I have the most problems, with the basic version I don't solve anything as it only acts on the bass and I am already happy with it.

Thank you
If it's like the DL version on the RZ50 I believe one can pull the curtain to the right to NOT correct the low frequencies-one just has to decide where to place the curtain.

pogo

Major Contributor
The NAD prices were reduced a few days ago in Germany. Currently, the module is at 499€.

pogo

Major Contributor
Can I configure Dirac with the active subwoofer turned off?
Yes, but why should you do that?
With the full version of DL you will get an improvement in the entire frequency range, which can then also be adjusted to your own taste.

Alexx

I should add another 99 euros for the complete version of the software so I can also handle the medium-high frequencies.

Woh! not a little if we consider that for 900 euros I'll get the cambridge CXM V2 I agree that I wouldn't have the Dirac, but the positive thing would be to have electronics that are totally detached from the Nad and if one day I sell it, I wouldn't have the problem of having to look another internet radio player... the new Audiola 9000N player is also interesting (should come out in a few days).

I could correct the room with some acoustic panels like this: https://www.masacoustics.it/shop/pa...o-fonoassorbente-ibrido-numeric-120x60x11-cm/

I have to see for a moment but I don't want to invest too much money for the Nad 399 (with the new year I would like to take the Rotel RA-600) nothing for sure though.

What do you think?
A thousand thanks.

ianjamila

I recently purchased a Schiit bifrost 2/64 DAC and have a Chord Mojo lying around and would like to compare the sound of their DAC.

Would like to know how I can bypass the DAC of the C399 and use the one from the Schiit or Mojo.

C399 is currently connected to KEF R3 passive speakers,

Thank you!

El3ctric

Too add on, I auditioned the C399 and the C658+C298 combo. Both playing Tidal through BluOS using the same pair of speakers. No DIRAC nor EQ were applied.

My wife and me agreed that the C399 sounds way better. It was very distinguishable.

Interesting. I've been tempted by the C298 and its Purifi modules but then the idea of having to spend extra on a preamp that is of good enough quality to maximise the overall result is off putting. The challenge is only magnified if one considers something like an M23 which, by all accounts, is an awesome amp. C298 and C658 seem like a natural pairing but the latter is probably due for a refresh and seemingly the weak link here. So as much as Purifi seems the direction NAD is taking (probably only a matter of time before we have a NAD C class integrated with Purify??) all this has me gravitating back towards a single box solution such as the C399. I haven't auditioned it yet but your comment makes me think that perhaps I shouldn't be too worried about missing out on Purify and that the C399 fully integrated approach might actually be more optimal here. M10V2 is another similar priced option I guess but I like the extra power in the C399 and the phono stage doesn't hurt either.

pogo

Major Contributor
My wife and me agreed that the C399 sounds way better.
You should have connected the C298 to the preouts of the C399 ;)
The C658 is known to be a bottleneck.

MJSonic

yes I did,

my actual configuration is NAD399 and denon avr -x3800h
The nad control the stereo tower and denon all other sound devices.
I connected the denon with nad with the pre out (denon) and line 1 in nad.
With the autosource when i turn on the denon after few seconds the nad turn on.
I am thinking of doing the same thing. I have the C399 and I am thinking of the x3800 or similar.
Have you had any problems with the low sinad from the DAC? I cannot pickup some slight distortion, but can pickup noise to some extent.

ninox

eARC HDMI : You are going to have to forgive me if this has been discussed at length somewhere else. If I run my smart TV as PCM via HDMI into a c399 connected to two speakers will the conversion of say dolby atmos to 2 channel by the amp be good enough to still hear the voice track etc?

BanditSoar

My current configuration is 2.1 LS50 + SVS with a Denon X4500h. Initially I got the X4500h because I thought I would go on the home cinema direction but that never happened.

This week I was looking for a stereo amp and I thought the c399 would be a good device to pair but at the same time the c298 is at 1900 euros.

Do you think it would be a good idea/possible to pair the c298 with the denon and wait for something else to come along to pair with it or should I go for the C399?

Last edited:

bumblesnuff

On the Bluos module there's a USB port. It appears that this port can be used to connect a mic for dirac. It can also be used to connect an external hard drive loaded with music.
Does anyone know if the USB port can also be used as a DAC input (if I plug my PC into it, will my PC see it as an audio device)?

Last edited:

jvdg1701

I bought one C399 (with MDC2 module en full dirac) in april this year.
After a couple of weeks I noticed that sometimes the sound was distorted. Not always, but with specific numbers.
When the amplifier was switched off and on (not standby but powered off) the problem was gone. Also disabling Dirac was a solution.

After a couple of resets and recalibration I was done with it. Went to the reseller, who contacted NAD and they advised to change the MDC module.
After swapping the card the problem was still there. But it was a "software" problem so wait for the new version of Bluos.

Bluos 4 came out, and the problem still exists...

So send a mail to NAD support in Canada. They confirmed that was a known issue. When a file is played with MQA on 44.1 and 88.2 kHz in combination with Dirac this problem can occure. They hope to fix this in april/may 2024. They are busy with the new M66.

The amplifier is great. A very good sounding peace of work. But for me the reason to buy the C399 was Dirac in combination with the streaming option (I sold my node n130).
So be aware this amplifier is great, but the software is still in development. Hopefully it will be fixed.
(and 'm thinking to return the unit, no confidence anymore)

Last edited:
Top Bottom