• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Although quite belated, I noticed that if we have mouse pointer/cursor at any place in the upper area of JRiver, our "mouse wheel" also works as volume controller with granularity of 0.5dB.

I assume this feature should be quite common for many people, but it is a belated new discovery for me since I have been not using JRiver's volume controller until the day before yesterday...

And, the "right click on the volume slider" will apply or cancel the Mute of the sound.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,
Just it has no meaning at all, but my post #201 above was post-450001 in ASR Forum, a kind of surprise (good or bad?) for me!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Although quite belated, I noticed that if we have mouse pointer/cursor at any place in the upper area of JRiver, our "mouse wheel" also works as volume controller with granularity of 0.5dB.
Yes, that does work but the constraint of having the pointer/cursor in a particular area is an issue when performing multiple tasks or using the control from a distance. After all, this is all about ergonomics.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that does work but the constraint of having the pointer/cursor in a particular area is an issue when performing multiple tasks or using the control from a distance. After all, this is all about ergonomics.

Yes, I agree.
BTW, Pavel of OKTO posted today at here.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The best/worst is the Microsoft Surface Dial. I have one programmed for volume (rotation) and toggle pause (press) and those operations are intuitive. It is also clean and easy to place...................................except that its BT range is horribly short. (Any ideas to help?
03rWJPcVAO4z0of60SR0dcw-7.fit_scale.size_1028x578.v_1569479936.png

I wish I had a positive answer Kal, but I found the Surface Dial was often unresponsive or at best tardy in responding. At other times it was fine, but proved too erratic in the end so it sits unused in its box. I too use the Drok - it works 100% of the time and is fine being on the end of a long USB cable and repeater tucked away out of sight around the edge of my music room.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Burning Sounds and Kal,

Thank you for your nice info on DROK!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The best/worst is the Microsoft Surface Dial. I have one programmed for volume (rotation) and toggle pause (press) and those operations are intuitive. It is also clean and easy to place...................................except that its BT range is horribly short. (Any ideas to help?
03rWJPcVAO4z0of60SR0dcw-7.fit_scale.size_1028x578.v_1569479936.png

I suspect it may be using the older BT standard which has a shorter range. You could probably try connecting an external BT receiver instead of using the internal one in the PC, and hooking it to a very long USB extension cord -- sensible if you can hide the cord and place it somewhere where it isn't a tripping hazard.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
(Haven't tried voice control yet, but is on my 'someday' list).

Voice control is convenient, but extremely annoying if you have to repeat yourself several times for commands such as "skip song" or "lower volume". You also have to be close enough to the microphone for commands to be registered. I've automated and added voice control to certain things in the house... e.g. turning on the TV and speakers, as well as mood lights. But I still find it far simpler to look for music and navigate using a physical remote control, smart phone/tablet. Years ago, I saw someone add voice controls to JRiver using a plugin. I don't know if that method still works now, though.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I suspect it may be using the older BT standard which has a shorter range. You could probably try connecting an external BT receiver instead of using the internal one in the PC, and hooking it to a very long USB extension cord -- sensible if you can hide the cord and place it somewhere where it isn't a tripping hazard.
I'd appreciate a suggestion or two.

Neddy

That's why I chose a trackball - and programmed some of the many buttons on it for Vol +/- and Mute; they are not dependent on on- screen in-app cursor positioning, which was an issue with a keyboard/trackpad I tried.
Here's the one I ended up keeping:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753P1GTS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yikes - I did not pay anywhere NEAR that for it!!
Yes, for sure, ergonomics and emergency MUTE are my top priorities.
The trackball is about good enough for me, though I'd still like to see some useful innovation on this (like the 'pistol' shaped pointer things, but they all have horrible reviews, at least that I looked at.)

The many various Microsoft Media IR remotes will do the same (and are cheap) in a pinch (no screen navigation, but does do common media things like Next, Back, Up, Down, and a few other things in JR, but it's a lot of buttons, too:) assuming your PC has IR inputs, of course.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you playing off a Windows or iOS based machine, this will be able to wirelessly control its master volume.
That's why I chose a trackball - and programmed some of the many buttons on it for Vol +/- and Mute; they are not dependent on on- screen in-app cursor positioning, which was an issue with a keyboard/trackpad I tried.
Thanks. I do have button-based remotes but that's not what I want/need. Neither is a track-ball. I want a volume control knob. As I said, the DROK is great but is tethered and the MIcrosoft Edge Dial looks the part but won't do the job.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thanks. I do have button-based remotes but that's not what I want/need. Neither is a track-ball. I want a volume control knob. As I said, the DROK is great but is tethered and the MIcrosoft Edge Dial looks the part but won't do the job.

Your reply piqued my curiosity and a quick search on Amazon came up this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08593P6HZ/ref=dp_cerb_1

No idea if it works well though.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Your reply piqued my curiosity and a quick search on Amazon came up this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08593P6HZ/ref=dp_cerb_1
No idea if it works well though.
Griffin has been a pioneer in this but note that it says it is Mac-specific (I use Win) but the website offers a Win-compatible app. Comments have, over the years, emphasize incompatibility, flakiness. It has appeared, disappeared and reappeared from the market. Still, its cheap.

Neddy

I use an Emotiva Control Freak (NLA) on the outputs of the D50 at my desktop, and, yah, it's just about the perfect control device for a wired setup. Heavy, with just the right amount of 'spin' mass, and heavily 'knurled' for quick grab and spin when the phone rings, etc.

So, I agree, a BT or otherwise wireless version of Kal's DROK would be wonderful....especially the 'push (slap!) to mute' feature.
Weird no one has done that (well) yet - they'd sell a lot of 'em!

Burning Sounds

I contacted 3DConnexion a couple of years ago when I was searching for a wireless volume control. It's designed for 3D drawing and quite expensive, They didn't think it would work with JRiver, although they said they would forward my enquiry to their development team. I haven't heard anything since (not that I really expected to). It's a nice looking unit.

3dconnexions.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The problem with the Emotiva Control Freak and the still available TC Electronic Pilot is that (1) they insert themselves into the signal path and (2) they are limited to two channels.

Neddy

Yes, true, but for a 'low-fi' desktop ToppingD50/JBL305 stereo setup, it works great.
I brought it up mainly b/c the 'hand feel' ergonomics are just about perfect, and would be the standard I'd compare to for a similar wireless remote device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom