• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vavan

'm sure some jazz, classical, and 30+ year old rock music (loved by old people who happen to be audiophiles) will be available and not much else
well, just 5 days ago they announced that "TIDAL, added millions of tracks in MQA from Warner Music Group to its Masters catalogue "

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another quote...

:rolleyes:

Had a look at the site above. Found a quote:

"Is it better than lossless? Yes, that's the sort of progress you should expect from the world-class team who developed lossless compression in the first place (30 years ago). CD and so-called high-resolution PCM are 30–40-year-old technologies; they are better than MP3 that throws away audible content, but still a long way from what is heard when the recording is made."

So i guess that they are saying MQA sounds as the recording is made even if the tapes are 40 years old or older when they created the MQA file ????.
Lets have a look at the Abbey Road studio at the time the Beatles recorded Abby Road.
AKY1S3U.png
As you could see monitors where ancient Altec 605A an we don't know how flat the master room measures. So because of degrading of master tapes over time an we don't have the specific sound/characteristics (acoustics at the Abbey Road studio master room) of the used Altec 605A we certainly can't state "what is heard when the recording is made."

In my IMO MQA it's again a way making money.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I'd say he's a generally respected voice, more than 'the authority.'

Did you have anything specific to take issue with about what he said and/or the citations referenced?
Simple question what made him an authority, thank you for answering that,oh and I have no issues, just my opinions, I respect yours and I hope you respect mine.

cjm2077

well, just 5 days ago they announced that "TIDAL, added millions of tracks in MQA from Warner Music Group to its Masters catalogue "

Yeah, and the big deals they highlighted were hip-hop from 25 years ago, Madonna albums, and electronic music by a 50 year white guy. That's a newer version of old people music, but still old people music. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the next SACD, but if it inflames your passion, enjoy.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yeah, and the big deals they highlighted were hip-hop from 25 years ago, Madonna albums, and electronic music by a 50 year white guy. That's a newer version of old people music, but still old people music. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the next SACD, but if it inflames your passion, enjoy.
Tidal is more than Hip Hop and Pop and some old White guy

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

cjm2077

I don't think he's knows, 50 is young in this age.

Maybe for feelin young at heart, but not for pop music. ;)

All the other failed high-rez formats promoted all the big artists available on them, but ended up having an incredibly small slice of what is generally available. A few million tracks is nothing compared to the sum total of music out there. It will fail because it doesn't do anything for the needs of the main music listening public, which are usability and accessibility. It doesn't make music easier to use, doesn't allow it to be used on more devices in more places, and what good is master quality audio (if MQA can even deliver on that claim) when you're on a treadmill, a busy street, or in a car or a subway train? What difference could it make on a bluetooth speaker? Until it delivers a benefit for the masses who use music in that manner, no new format is going to gain traction.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Anybody remember HDCD? Didn't think so.... ;)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Maybe for feelin young at heart, but not for pop music. ;)

All the other failed high-rez formats promoted all the big artists available on them, but ended up having an incredibly small slice of what is generally available. A few million tracks is nothing compared to the sum total of music out there. It will fail because it doesn't do anything for the needs of the main music listening public, which are usability and accessibility. It doesn't make music easier to use, doesn't allow it to be used on more devices in more places, and what good is master quality audio (if MQA can even deliver on that claim) when you're on a treadmill, a busy street, or in a car or a subway train? What difference could it make on a bluetooth speaker? Until it delivers a benefit for the masses who use music in that manner, no new format is going to gain traction.
MQA won't work with Bluetooth, ? who's forcing you to use Bluetooth?see I respect you because you stick by your gun,but don't try to make other who disagree pick up their gun,I'm going to break it down for you further Most of the digital music we stream or download wasn’t produced by the artist themselves. MP3, AAC, and even FLAC files are created by third parties like Apple Music, or Spotify, from studio quality master digital files furnished by the music labels. MQA solves this problem by inserting itself into the studio-based workflow. Using an MQA encoder, a producer can hear exactly what a track will sound like to the listener before it ever leaves the studio. Better yet, MQA-encoded tracks are delivered to streaming companies and download sites as ready-to-go files. There’s no additional conversion (or versioning) performed on these files, so buyers and streamers end up with a track that might as well have been handed to them by the artist, straight from the studio.

Last edited:

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where are people even finding MQA files? Tidal seems to be the only significant source of MQA, and that's only via streaming -- if you outright purchase music on Tidal they don't provide you with the MQA files. There's only a handful of super niche MQA file vendors that I can find. Maybe the situation is different in Asia?

It seems like the MQA "ecosystem" hinges almost entirely on Tidal.

cjm2077

MQA won't work with Bluetooth, ? who's forcing you to use Bluetooth?see I respect you because you stick by your gun,but don't try to make other who disagree pick up their gun,I'm going to break it down for you further Most of the digital music we stream or download wasn’t produced by the artist themselves. MP3, AAC, and even FLAC files are created by third parties like Apple Music, or Spotify, from studio quality master digital files furnished by the music labels. MQA solves this problem by inserting itself into the studio-based workflow. Using an MQA encoder, a producer can hear exactly what a track will sound like to the listener before it ever leaves the studio. Better yet, MQA-encoded tracks are delivered to streaming companies and download sites as ready-to-go files. There’s no additional conversion (or versioning) performed on these files, so buyers and streamers end up with a track that might as well have been handed to them by the artist, straight from the studio.

Now you're just creating strawmen. Go back and reread what we both wrote and tell me where the disagreement is on bluetooth. The rest of your post just seems to MQA marketing blurbs. It still doesn't solve a problem for the main audience for music.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Now you're just creating strawmen. Go back and reread what we both wrote and tell me where the disagreement is on bluetooth. The rest of your post just seems to MQA marketing blurbs. It still doesn't solve a problem for the main audience for music.
I asked you do you use MQA,apparently you don't just trying to figure out if you have no plans to use it why you so upset,see if i owned Linn I would be mad at Meridian too after all they developed MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing), which is how lossless audio is delivered in DVDs and Blu-rays.

cjm2077

I asked you do you use MQA,apparently you don't just trying to figure out if you have no plans to use it why you so upset,see if i owned Linn I would be mad at Meridian too after all they developed MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing), which is how lossless audio is delivered in DVDs and Blu-rays.

I'm sorry, but I can't find a post where you ask me about my MQA use. But that is irrelevant to my argument that MQA is irrelevant. It would only be a reinforcing piece of evidence. I also see no signs of distress or anger in my posts, so the statement that I am upset seems to be a little odd as well. I'm mostly suggesting we not argue the merits of something that won't exist in a significant manner in the near future, just like the rest of these high-rez formats. And I don't really care about a personal pissing match between linn and Meridian either. I have no dog in that fight, or interest in learning more about those dogs. I'm just saying that this too, like HDCD and DVD-Audio, shall pass.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I'm sorry, but I can't find a post where you ask me about my MQA use. But that is irrelevant to my argument that MQA is irrelevant. It would only be a reinforcing piece of evidence. I also see no signs of distress or anger in my posts, so the statement that I am upset seems to be a little odd as well. I'm mostly suggesting we not argue the merits of something that won't exist in a significant manner in the near future, just like the rest of these high-rez formats. And I don't really care about a personal pissing match between linn and Meridian either. I have no dog in that fight, or interest in learning more about those dogs. I'm just saying that this too, like HDCD and DVD-Audio, shall pass.
Hasn't passed yet,looks like it picking up steam

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Hasn't passed yet,looks like it picking up steam
I'm watching a documentary on the 1929 stock market crash at this moment; famous last words 'looks like its picking up steam'. Uh Huh.....

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My smsl su-8 ain’t mqa but may I ask............when I play master quality mqa files in tidal it always show 88.2 khz.....not 96khz or 192khz.....why so? I understood that there are those files in tidal too. Its connected via usb from pc. And tidal is controlling the audio device (su8) over the windows. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom