• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Oh i’m sorry i’m not following up on the whole video discussion since i know little about it xD.

However, it is roughly 75% less bandwidth for 192 tracks. Which is huge.

Tidal obviously benefits from this, otherwise they wouldn’t pay for MQA. The argument I was replying to is completely absurd tbh.
I love MQA,don't have time to waste on this dumb debate,and yea bandwidth cost money always has and always will.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oh i’m sorry i’m not following up on the whole video discussion since i know little about it xD.

However, it is roughly 75% less bandwidth for 192 tracks. Which is huge.

Tidal obviously benefits from this, otherwise they wouldn’t pay for MQA. The argument I was replying to is completely absurd tbh.

It's not huge for a home network connection that is >100Mbps.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It’s huge when millions of users are downloading the files off your servers.

This has already been covered.

Until we know the royalty / licensing payments, it's hard to know if that's a net positive savings for the providers.

My guess is Tidal got a sweetheart rate because MQA needed a first customer success.

Amazon lossless seems to be living fine without it and no doubt they looked at it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Which services stream MQA?

Only Tidal?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
This has already been covered.

Until we know the royalty / licensing payments, it's hard to know if that's a net positive savings for the providers.

My guess is Tidal got a sweetheart rate because MQA needed a first customer success.

Amazon lossless seems to be living fine without it and no doubt they looked at it.
Amazon is one of the backbones of the web,they servers go down,so does a lot of schitt on the web,Netflix being one

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Me think most people upset with Tidal because JayZ is part owner,just like they were upset with Beats because Dr Dre was part owner,jus sayin

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Me think most people upset with Tidal because JayZ is part owner,just like they were upset with Beats because Dr Dre was part owner,jus sayin
Who is JayZ and Dr. Dre?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For all we know Tidal is getting paid to promote MQA

My guess is somewhere between "use it for free" and "we'll pay you to feature it" is pretty likely given the state of Tidal's cash flow*.

*I'm a paying Tidal user, but last I knew, they were deeply in the red on an operational basis.

cjm2077

“One example provided by MQA is Madonna’s Like A Virgin. When encoded into a hi-res FLAC file at 192kHz/24-bit, it ends up as 135.3 MB. The MQA version, which theoretically contains the same level of resolution, comes in at a relatively tiny 46.2 MB. Even when compared to a slightly lesser quality 96kHz/24-bit FLAC, the MQA version comes in at half the size.”

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/mqa-best-high-resolution-file-format-htc/

The "theoretically contains" is the part most people object to. It's a lossy format done in a relatively unpopular way (comparing to other lossy compression formats), and many people who analyze compression techniques don't think it is very good. It is smaller. But a 20 bit 96 kHz flac would be even smaller and more accurate to the original content. It's just a trojan Horse for DRM.

raif71

Major Contributor
Do we have a budding songwriter who can do an MQA parody to the tune of YMCA? ;)

Why MQA ……….. .
I'm sure the SNL songwriters are capable since they do lots of YMCA parody lol... Of course somebody knowledgeable in MQA has to provide the necessary info and context for the lyrics

1605584520351.png

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The "theoretically contains" is the part most people object to. It's a lossy format done in a relatively unpopular way (comparing to other lossy compression formats), and many people who analyze compression techniques don't think it is very good. It is smaller. But a 20 bit 96 kHz flac would be even smaller and more accurate to the original content. It's just a trojan Horse for DRM.
AMEN! MQA a product in need of a problem to solve. 96k flac is smaller than 192 MQA. 192k along with 96k is just wasteful of bandwidth in any case. I won't argue that Redbook is all we need, but 24/48 is certainly totally transparent to the master no matter it's recorded resolution.
Bottom line, we don't need these huge files and we don't need MQA. Lets let some common sense come into play here friends. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom