• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

derp1n

Wombat

Master Contributor
Simply put: He is also human and a businessman. Past cred. can be used to support new business ventures. Money is the driver in business. Marketing is its partner. Credibility is not a pre-requisite - and is not apparent in MQA's lack of transparency. It is up to Bob to credibly support his claims.

Friendship or respect is not evidence in this NDA world.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Most advances in audio formats have had measurable improvements. MQA technology does not seem to have this. A claimed advantage in streaming bit-rates does not necessarily give it a definite advantage over open source non-lossy existing formats. It appears to me to be an industry controlled format. The application to CD supports my opinion. A hi-res/lower-res format exists(just) in dual-layer SACD.

So WTF ?

As some members will know, I try to distil 'much' into concise comment. Am I missing something significant?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe worth making the point that a healthy respect for Bob Stuart’s technical knowledge, business acumen and contributions to audio is not incompatible with scepticism towards MQA. Personally my interest in MQA is limited to positive thoughts on the prospect of it leading to improved re-masters and negative thoughts about where it all might lead and am highly sceptical about it all but I certainly wouldn’t deride Bob Stuart’s capability. Meridian can make some superb equipment (although I also think it’s way too expensive), I can think that and also think MQA is a marketing led distraction that doesn’t offer me anything (I don’t see improved mastering as a benefit of MQA as a format).

Wombat

Master Contributor
Great thread as it contains lots of views and discussion, without hysteria found elsewhere. A plus for ASR.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
He probably does understand what he's doing, yes. I'd have more sympathy for him if he didn't. Then he'd just be a bumbling fool trying his best.

Losing money for 40 years straight?

What contributions?

Interesting.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He probably does understand what he's doing, yes. I'd have more sympathy for him if he didn't. Then he'd just be a bumbling fool trying his best.

Losing money for 40 years straight?

What contributions?

The fact we've got 39 pages of comments about the risk of MQA taking over the world of audio indicates he has some acumen. Otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The fact we've got 39 pages of comments about the risk of MQA taking over the world of audio indicates he has some acumen. Otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing it.

If MQA didn't appear to be an unnecessary mystery product we wouldn't be so discussing it.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If MQA didn't appear to be an unnecessary mystery product we wouldn't be so discussing it.

I think that is half true, I'd add "which didn't have significant potential implications for the future of audio". If MQA was some sort of fringe freeware of no real significance we'd have a dispassionate discussion about the formats technical merits (or otherwise) but I really don't think we'd be seeing anything like the heat or passion.

mansr

Major Contributor
I think that is half true, I'd add "which didn't have significant potential implications for the future of audio". If MQA was some sort of fringe freeware of no real significance we'd have a dispassionate discussion about the formats technical merits (or otherwise) but I really don't think we'd be seeing anything like the heat or passion.
Of course not. It's their (explicitly stated) aim of insinuating themselves into every stage of music production and distribution, locking it up, and extracting licence fees from everybody that has people worried.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Maybe worth making the point that a healthy respect for Bob Stuart’s technical knowledge, business acumen and contributions to audio is not incompatible with scepticism towards MQA. Personally my interest in MQA is limited to positive thoughts on the prospect of it leading to improved re-masters and negative thoughts about where it all might lead and am highly sceptical about it all but I certainly wouldn’t deride Bob Stuart’s capability. Meridian can make some superb equipment (although I also think it’s way too expensive), I can think that and also think MQA is a marketing led distraction that doesn’t offer me anything (I don’t see improved mastering as a benefit of MQA as a format).

On «business acumen»:

Focus less on Bob Stuart. Check out his board and MQA majority stock holder whose fortune comes from an industry well known for its «tactics», high, stable profits and negative contribution to society.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The "tactics" were certainly on display in the video posted earlier. That swung me from "meh, I don't care much, it's irrelevant to my listening and recording habits" to "I hope they fail miserably."

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On «business acumen»:

Focus less on Bob Stuart. Check out his board and MQA majority stock holder whose fortune comes from an industry well known for its «tactics», high, stable profits and negative contribution to society.

Could you elaborate on this? I can’t find much with a quick google. Thanks.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bit disappointed @amirm has not changed his avatar to MQA...
I abandoned the thread but you all keep calling me with references to my alias. Quit it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom