• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

Foxenfurter

I have a MOTU M2. Some notes on the questions asked.
Output volume as a DAC. When installed as a new device windows often sets the volume to 50% or thereabouts, so if the volume is unexpectedly low check this first. Certainly playing through my desktop Iloud micro-monitors volume is not an issue.

I have used the headphone amp with Alessandros MS1, Ultrasone 900 Pro and Fostex TH 600, all low impedance and this gives me more volume than I can cope with i.e. it starts hurting.

The front panel inputs are intended for balanced mono, and also support 48v phantom power for microphones. I have used TRS to RCA converters and these work as mono inputs if required. This enables me to use the device for running room eq tests and also for testing equipment, (within the input limits of the ADC).

AllanDavidson

Back in early 2000's I had a video capture card that only captured video signal, so I had to use a cheap Behringer interface to capture audio from VHS as well.

I don't remember the exact model, but I looked like this one, but it had no headphone out and no phono preamp, just the RCAs.

1610651162889.png

The other UAC202 (no phono preamp) cost only $30, dirt cheap.

Foxenfurter

Here is the summary of a loopback test of the Motu - The point here is not the performance of the Motu output but to compare the inputs of the Motu with the line in of a high spec motherboard using the Motu output as a control.

First summary is Line out at 3pm, then again at max output, then headphone out at 3pm all measured by the Motu inputs. The next summary shows the Headphone output but vs a PC input. I had to dial down the output of the headphone for the PC test as it was overloading the line in.

1610658301804.png

Here is the headphone out of the Motu into my PC Soundcard ASRock Z170 Gaming K6
1610658398078.png

NB I am no expert on measurements, I just know enough to be dangerous.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a EQ preset tailored for every headphone.

I didn't like Oratory's preset for my SHP9500s, but I'm using the AutoEQ preset now.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
Hm. Well. Iiuc I dial in these settings in ApoEQ Editor and play some music. I like to test with 2nd mv of Berlioz Fantastic.

With the settings as given the volume is louder than I like to listen with the M4 phones gain knob at max. That's not ideal.

But the lowest frequencies in that music are from the basses and they produce only down to 41 Hz so I pushed the cut from -6.3 to -2 dB. That yields this curve

1610976406531.png

which, iiuc, doesn't risk clipping unless the music has significant signals between 20 and 40 Hz. Now the Fantastic/2 is far too loud on max and I have to dial it back.

Now, I don't generally listen to music on headphones because I don't like wearing them or the feeling of isolation from my environment. I use it when I'm practicing, recording and producing and again there I have nothing below 41 Hz. So I guess this would work for me.

But if you're listing to techno, Pan Sonic or other music with synthetic sub bass designed to give you that exciting feeling in your belly when you're dangerously close to the stacks in a club then the M4 might not be for you. Or watching movies with sound effects similarly designed for those sub-bass somatic thrills.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Back in early 2000's I had a video capture card that only captured video signal, so I had to use a cheap Behringer interface to capture audio from VHS as well.

I don't remember the exact model, but I looked like this one, but it had no headphone out and no phono preamp, just the RCAs.

View attachment 106073

The other UAC202 (no phono preamp) cost only $30, dirt cheap.
I had the UAC202 and quickly quit using it after it ruined recordings of one or two live performances. $30 is still a lot of money for something that makes your life worse.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It depends which vintage of UCA202 you have too. Compare nwavguy's measurements of an early model to the uca222 measurements here, and the subsequent discussion regarding the TI codec used in nwavguy's example vs. the cheap generic substitute in the later ones.

Ellie

Here is the summary of a loopback test of the Motu - The point here is not the performance of the Motu output but to compare the inputs of the Motu with the line in of a high spec motherboard using the Motu output as a control.

First summary is Line out at 3pm, then again at max output, then headphone out at 3pm all measured by the Motu inputs. The next summary shows the Headphone output but vs a PC input. I had to dial down the output of the headphone for the PC test as it was overloading the line in.

View attachment 106095

Here is the headphone out of the Motu into my PC Soundcard ASRock Z170 Gaming K6
View attachment 106096

NB I am no expert on measurements, I just know enough to be dangerous.

Interesting, Julian Kraus did some measurements on the headphone outs of a bunch of interfaces, and his measured much much better than yours did:
firefox_JLyc7dQ8mZ.png

You can see the Motu M2 at the bottom there. I've been using it as an amp for my Ananda, and between that and my Topping D90, I can... kiiiind of hear a difference? I guess? Maybe?? I'm not even sure if it's placebo, since I have no way to ABX them.

It's a very very good headphone out for an interface, though. Probably the best one for consumer interfaces, at least.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Interesting, Julian Kraus did some measurements on the headphone outs of a bunch of interfaces, and his measured much much better than yours did:
You can see the Motu M2 at the bottom there. I've been using it as an amp for my Ananda, and between that and my Topping D90, I can... kiiiind of hear a difference? I guess? Maybe?? I'm not even sure if it's placebo, since I have no way to ABX them.

It's a very very good headphone out for an interface, though. Probably the best one for consumer interfaces, at least.
I would guess @Foxenfurter is limited by his motherboard's A/D.

Foxenfurter

The first measurement was a set of loopbacks into the Motu's own inputs this will be constrained by the quality of the ADC in the Motu, but is not that dissimilar to those posted above. The second measurement was of the Motu into my soundcard, and this is clearly limited by the ADC in the soundcard.

I was trying to illustrate the relative qualities of the ADC in both devices, I have previously used by PC soundcard for converting Vinyl and the results were not great.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I needed something now, and couldn't get the M4, I might look at the SSL 2 or SSL2+.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2--solid-state-logic-ssl2-usb-audio-interface

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2Plus--solid-state-logic-ssl2-usb-audio-interface

This goes over the differences between these models. Same basic quality just some extra connections on the 2+
https://www.soundtech.co.uk/ssl/news/our-guide-ssl-2-ssl-2-plus

Having used such interfaces I prefer the controls on top with more space around them than on front like the M2 or M4 or 2i4 or 2i4 Scarlett series. Some people hate that however. I find with those on the front too often you end up with it at the wrong level and you have to squint or crane your neck to see what you are doing with the controls. Of course if it spends most of its time on a middle shelf the controls on the slanted top just won't do.

Last edited:

AllanDavidson

If I needed something now, and couldn't get the M4, I might look at the SSL 2 or SSL2+.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2--solid-state-logic-ssl2-usb-audio-interface

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2Plus--solid-state-logic-ssl2-usb-audio-interface

This goes over the differences between these models. Same basic quality just some extra connections on the 2+
https://www.soundtech.co.uk/ssl/news/our-guide-ssl-2-ssl-2-plus

Having used such interfaces I prefer the controls on top with more space around them than on front like the M2 or M4 or 2i4 or 2i4 Scarlett series. Some people hate that however. I find with those on the front too often you end up with it at the wrong level and you have to squint or crane your neck to see what you are doing with the controls. Of course if it spends most of its time on a middle shelf the controls on the slanted top just won't do.

Unfortunately, SSL2 doesn't have MIDI.

But thinking about it, I may end up buying a separate USB>MIDI device and a SSL2 or one of the new Audient units

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, SSL2 doesn't have MIDI.

But thinking about it, I may end up buying a separate USB>MIDI device and a SSL2 or one of the new Audient units
Yeah, the 2+ has MIDI, but costs more money.

I was also going to suggest the new mkII Audient units. But the couple places I looked they weren't in stock. Might be no better off than waiting for an M4.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking for a M4 recently also noticed they were out of stock at many places. That being said I bought one at Markertek a few weeks ago. Not sure if I just got lucky or if only certain places have them.

Michael

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review of the SSL 2 by Julian Krause. I believe he said it has the quietest microphone preamp he has measured. Apologies for the thread clutter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom