• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

AllanDavidson

Yeah, the 2+ has MIDI, but costs more money.

I was also going to suggest the new mkII Audient units. But the couple places I looked they weren't in stock. Might be no better off than waiting for an M4.

You know what I was thinking? IK also has a set of budget interfaces, AXE I/O Solo and Dual, but I barely see people talking about it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You know what I was thinking? IK also has a set of budget interfaces, AXE I/O Solo and Dual, but I barely see people talking about it.
I'm not sure I would still call 309€ for the 2-input AXE I/O "budget", besides there's this focus on guitar-related features that would make them a bit exotic. Specs look fine for an upper midrange kind of interface though. I noticed the specs for the mic inputs indicate no EIN even though SNR seems very good, and a maximum input sensitivity of -37 dBu @ 0 dBFS (easily 10 dB below average) indicates that it may be more geared towards condenser mics in general.

txbdan

Is there a way to link the four analog outputs so that the volume control controls them all together? I'm thinking of an application where two channels would go to L/R speakers and additional outputs for subwoofer(s).

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to link the four analog outputs so that the volume control controls them all together? I'm thinking of an application where two channels would go to L/R speakers and additional outputs for subwoofer(s).

Yeah there are TRS balanced connectors and RCA, so you'd send one to your sub and one to your monitors. You'd use the 'monitor' connectors, as opposed to line out, which are not controlled by the volume.

How many DAC/headphone amp devices have sub output? Another reason I love this thing.

txbdan

Yeah there are TRS balanced connectors and RCA, so you'd send one to your sub and one to your monitors. You'd use the 'monitor' connectors, as opposed to line out, which are not controlled by the volume.

How many DAC/headphone amp devices have sub output? Another reason I love this thing.

The RCAs and the TRS outputs of the same channel are linked, right? I don't want to "split" one channel to the mains and to the sub using an TRS and a RCA output, I'd want to use a separate channel (channel 3) for the sub. That way my software can process the sub as an independent channel. But only output channels 1 and 2 (monitors) are controlled by the volume knob, right? I want channel 3 to follow along with the volume knob as well.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RCAs and the TRS outputs of the same channel are linked, right? I don't want to "split" one channel to the mains and to the sub using an TRS and a RCA output, I'd want to use a separate channel (channel 3) for the sub. That way my software can process the sub as an independent channel. But only output channels 1 and 2 (monitors) are controlled by the volume knob, right? I want channel 3 to follow along with the volume knob as well.

1 and 2 are monitor outs, 3 and 4 are line out, so no, it will not work as you desire. What software were you planning on using which can send a filtered sub signal to the other outputs? I would use a minidsp.

Interfaces with multiple channel monitor outs are a little rare at this price point; the main use for this would be surround mixing but those interfaces cost quite a bit more. Apogee makes them.

Last edited:

txbdan

I see. I use Dirac Live on my computer and am thinking about when they integrate the bass management functions to the computer processor. I could also potentially fudge it by using virtual cables and applying filter/EQ plugins on the sub channels.

I regret selling my MOTU 624. The matrix mixer in that was incredibly powerful. You could copy USB source input on ch1/2 to 3/4. HP filter 1/2, LP filter 3/4, and EQ to taste all in the built in DSP. Ah well, it was a lot pricier than a M4.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. I use Dirac Live on my computer and am thinking about when they integrate the bass management functions to the computer processor. I could also potentially fudge it by using virtual cables and applying filter/EQ plugins on the sub channels.

I regret selling my MOTU 624. The matrix mixer in that was incredibly powerful. You could copy USB source input on ch1/2 to 3/4. HP filter 1/2, LP filter 3/4, and EQ to taste all in the built in DSP. Ah well, it was a lot pricier than a M4.

Yeah I wish this was easier. I think the MOTU m4 or similar with a minidsp would work great for nearfield monitors and subs, but if you're dealing with actual room acoustics and want to use Dirac I'm not sure what an elegant solution would be. Maybe just use the minidsp SHD.

JimmyBuckets

Monitor channels are 1 and 2 for RCA and TRS. But you can functionally do what you want as long as your sub has a crossover since your "sub" channel will be full spectrum. The only problem I see is that you would only have half a stereo pair if you are only running one sub. You would need a left and right in on the sub. If you are running stereo subs then obviously it's not an issue since you would run channel 1 to one sub and channel 2 to the other.

txbdan

I got my M4 yesterday and ran it with my spiffy new Purifi EVAL1 power amp today. As other have said, the build quality is much nicer than even the pictures suggest. The jacks are nice, knobs feel good. The display is also great. I also played some guitar with it using some virtual amps on my Mac and it worked great. No issues with breakup at small buffer sizes/low latencies and I didn't even install the special low latency MacOS driver.

Nice.

Thorskin

Im thinking of getting this device for my PC setup with Genelec 8010a and headphones.

Could I use the Line in input 3-4 to also plug in a streaming device (like the Chromecast audio/Echo Input/Allo Boss) to use without switching between PC and Input 3-4?? Or to use both at the same time?

I would like to use the Genelecs for streaming music when my computer is off but I dont want to have to switch between 2 sources all the time.
is that possible?

If it is possible, will there be any degradation of sound quality?

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Im thinking of getting this device for my PC setup with Genelec 8010a and headphones.

Could I use the Line in input 3-4 to also plug in a streaming device (like the Chromecast audio/Echo Input/Allo Boss) to use without switching between PC and Input 3-4?? Or to use both at the same time?

I would like to use the Genelecs for streaming music when my computer is off but I dont want to have to switch between 2 sources all the time.
is that possible?

If it is possible, will there be any degradation of sound quality?
Line inputs 3/4 don't support direct monitoring. You need a host computer to forward their inputs to outputs. Line inputs 1/2 do support direct monitoring, so they can be listened to without a computer.

artburda

Line inputs 3/4 don't support direct monitoring. You need a host computer to forward their inputs to outputs. Line inputs 1/2 do support direct monitoring, so they can be listened to without a computer.
False. You can direct monitor inputs 3 and 4 even when the M4 is only connected to a 5V power supply. You don‘t need a computer.

Thorskin

wow great, now if only this thing would ever come in stock!
Im also hoping I can sell off my Magni 3+ and just use the Motu as a all in one, that would be great.
Im currently using HD650s and LCD2Cs

Top Bottom