• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most suitable portable headphone amp for Dan Clark Expanse/Stealth

Liya

Planning to get Stealth or Expanse headphones. I was wondering which headphone amp would be the best (in terms of power) for either of these? Plan is to use iPhone (or MacBook) as a source. Are there any audiable benefits of having a separate dac?
I am going to use the rig in various rooms at home, but also hotels etc, so that's why I need the amp to be portable.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
A Topping G5 should do the job. Amir reviewed it here:

pukemon

from the little I read recently, I'm guessing those headphones use more juice than than fostex Tx0 planar magnetic headphones. whilst that amp can put out some juice and can barely power the fostex T60s I have on high gain at ~90% on the volume knob, the dac/amp gets quite hot and my battery got quite swollen. I wouldn't recommend using as intended. I would still recommend finding a small powered desktop amp for best results when stationary or something portable with even more headroom like maybe the diablo. maybe the battery might suffer with better results.

OP
Liya

Liya

I haven't bought any amp yet so thank you for your comment. Yeah, I could just use a small desktop amp.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the NX7 with my Stealth , which is a tiny bit more powerful than G5, and I heard a subbass problem which amir also mentioned in his review of G5. For that reason I went with CEntrance Ampersand. No measurements available, and their reputation here is not so good, but I have no complaints about it. It plays anything I listen to on a regular basis (music) but I'm skeptical it could handle some LFE content if you plan on watching TV/movies

The ifi diablo goes into protection mode with stealth if played too loudly. Many HPA do not fare well <32 ohm

If you haven't purchased yet, seemingly E3+G5 is a much smarter financial decision without sacrificing much. But, I know we're not all here for that kind of talk :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
get a dx5 or ex5 or similar.
dx3 costs less and has more power:
Topping AIO_ Maximum Output Power before clipping (knee) vs Load (2) (4).png

Top Bottom