• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most aesthetically pleasing amplifiers

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have a first generation Adcom GFA-555 that I purchased new to power MG-2Bs way back in the day. It never sounded anything but great on them. And it still sounds great today powering my Paradigm Signature S8 v.1s. Sounds great on any material.
It is possible that the Forte's were at fault rather than the 555.... (I was very cautious with that amp into the ESL57's... too easy to fry them with it!)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is possible that the Forte's were at fault rather than the 555.... (I was very cautious with that amp into the ESL57's... too easy to fry them with it!)
I was just about to suggest that. The deficiency you describe more often is attributed to the Forte's than the Adcoms.
And even at that, issue could often be source related and any harshness of the recording being revealed. The Klipsch can be merceless with highlighting any coarseness there.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I was just about to suggest that. The deficiency you describe more often is attributed to the Forte's than the Adcoms.
And even at that, issue could often be source related and any harshness of the recording being revealed. The Klipsch can be merceless with highlighting any coarseness there.
Sold it in the mid 90's.... lot of water under that bridge...

posvibes

I really liked the Sony ES series from the mid-late 80's there was a sense of earnest functionality and shy elegance and for me they summed up what an amplifier should be. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the wooden cheeks which were optional that would have made it perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 95

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about examples of aesthetically pleasing amplifier construction?
I am referring to good practices regarding board layout, caps, transformers, shielding, wiring etc.
Plinius amplifiers always seem to demonstrate fine aesthetic construction practices. This is the SA-Reference.

Plinus SA-Reference - 1.jpg

Edit: Oops - duplicate of post #42, which was also mine.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Still unappealing after all these years.
Everything on it works with a precision McIntosh, Krell, Topping etc can only dream of! As a German HiFi reviewer said about McIntosh. “Why would you buy one of their amplifiers when the plastic knobs look like they came off a cheap transistor radio?”

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything on it works with a precision McIntosh, Krell, Topping etc can only dream of! As a German HiFi reviewer said about McIntosh. “Why would you buy one of their amplifiers when the plastic knobs look like they came off a cheap transistor radio?”
I know one reason - resell value. £15 is what percentage of the initial price paid for the Sony?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I know one reason - resell value. £15 is what percentage of the initial price paid for the Sony?
I haven’t made an objective or subjective review of the Sony, rather a comment on its build quality, puts many more expensive bits of kit to shame. Would guess at the £15 is about 5% of its original selling price. Would have paid up to £150 for it, £15 is what they asked for and got.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I haven’t made an objective or subjective review of the Sony, rather a comment on its build quality, puts many more expensive bits of kit to shame.
And I haven't made any comment about it build quality or its performance, just about its clunky appearance.

tomchris

Telefunken Acusta set from early '70s. Amplifier V250 in the middle.
View attachment 231212

Great system from Telefunken:) Excellent form factor, i.e. top-operated rather than front-operated. It it simply a superior use of space and ergonomics.

Jacob Jensen for Bang & Olufsen. He has made several top-operated units for Bang & Olufsen. His favorite approach, as well.
00%2BBeosystem%2B6000%2Bprototype%2B1969.jpg

Dieter Rams also shaped similar units for Braun. Here is a system of his around '64/65:
c17ce155e93519e0208744c1bed8e408.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer an Osh Kosh tank transporter
The Osh Kosh is a handsome cartoonish beast that I appreciate too. I used to work manufacturing as in wiring the units from start to finish for oil and gas industry heavy duty wheeled and tracked vehicles. This is one of them and when outfitted for oil and gas it has a flat deck with a winch and is capable of carrying 40 ton all day through 3 to 4 feet thick of mud. It's a handsome devil in person and has a nice rowdy sounding 2 stroke diesel exhaust pitch.
heavy duty.png

Last edited:

tomchris

The Osh Kosh is a handsome cartoonish beast that I appreciate too. I used to work manufacturing as in wiring the units from start to finish for oil and gas industry heavy duty wheeled and tracked vehicles. This is one of them and when outfitted for oil and gas it has a flat deck with a winch and is capable of carrying 40 ton all day through 3 to 4 feet thick of mud. It's a handsome devil in person and has a nice rowdy sounding 2 stroke diesel exhaust pitch.
View attachment 231324

I have a soft spot for the Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck, Nominal Rated Payload: 401 ton (US), Rated Gross Machine Weight: 1375000 lb, Gross Power - SAE J1995: 4000 HP
CM20190306-07955-11034

...and here is another, the Tucker Sno-Cat 1600, 8-15 Passenger:
1643-003.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And I haven't made any comment about it build quality or its performance, just about its clunky appearance.
I concur, FWIW. It looks cheap to me -- even if it wasn't.
Sony was certainly capable of producing aesthetically pleasing designs, but they turned out at least their share (perhaps even more than their share) of aesthetic duds, too.

Early digital-era Sony tended towards the Knight Rider school of design, I'd opine.

7434322122_b1c3afb9c0_b.jpg

Now, this particular Sony STRVX250 is cosmetically challenged -- but even if it weren't, it would still rather miss the mark, I would say.
1663362586814.jpeg

EDIT: a couple more, courtesy of eBAY ;)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now, this particular Sony STRVX250 is cosmetically challenged -- but even if it weren't, it would still rather miss the mark, I would say.
UhhhG! Ewwww! That Sony STRVX250 is renowned for blowing output ICs. The sound from this unit is horrendous with the cheap STK they put in it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
UhhhG! Ewwww! That Sony STRVX250 is renowned for blowing output ICs. The sound from this unit is horrendous with the cheap STK they put in it.
Found that one at the dump. It worked fine, but didn't stay around for long. ;)

tomchris

Not particularily referring to this unit, but when I am looking at the vast assortment of badly designed units that has been made by manufacturers throughout the years, I sometimes wonder..What bunch of idiots approved this waste and why do they even bother? Still, this continues to happen. It is an unrelenting condition.

Top Bottom