• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Volume Controller with multiple (independent) Inputs and Outputs?

DrSpan

Hey everyone.

I am looking for a Monitor Volume Controller with at least 4 Inputs and outputs (2x Stereo)

BUT the 4 channels need to be independent and NOT mixed together at any stage.
I want them to go through and only Control all 4 Lines Volume at the same time while using 1 Volume Knob

Any ideas?

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
The Motu ultralite-mk5 has 6x line input and 8x line output, plus a ton of virtual channels via usb. Really it has 8 inputs, but two are on the front, if you don't mind using those connections too. I'm pretty sure that works, but it would be good to verify the master volume plus sub-mix (I can try that tonight or tomorrow, if you think this solution would work for you).

IIRC, you can assign the master volume control knob to affect multiple outputs, not just the "mains" 1+2.

You can sub-mix each output pair, so, for example, you could have inputs 3+4 going to 1+2 and 5+6 going to 3+4 etc.

OP
D

DrSpan

The Motu ultralite-mk5 has 6x line input and 8x line output, plus a ton of virtual channels via usb. Really it has 8 inputs, but two are on the front, if you don't mind using those connections too. I'm pretty sure that works, but it would be good to verify the master volume plus sub-mix (I can try that tonight or tomorrow, if you think this solution would work for you).

IIRC, you can assign the master volume control knob to affect multiple outputs, not just the "mains" 1+2.

You can sub-mix each output pair, so, for example, you could have inputs 3+4 going to 1+2 and 5+6 going to 3+4 etc.
Hey there.

I …..own the Mk5 already :)

What i want to do (we can fight later about if its right or wrong) is Go out of the Main Outputs (1+2) of the Motu into a MiniDsp 2+4 (2 in 4 out) Processor
and then i end up with 4 channels. 2 for the Monitors and 2 for the Subs. I also have an Spl 2Control. The issue with that is that while it has 2+2+1(subwoofer) outputs
it has 4 Inputs (2xStereo) that unfortunately get Summed together inside the 2Control. Hope it is clear enough the way i write it, pardon my English

radix

Major Contributor
Hey there.

I …..own the Mk5 already :)

What i want to do (we can fight later about if its right or wrong) is Go out of the Main Outputs (1+2) of the Motu into a MiniDsp 2+4 (2 in 4 out) Processor
and then i end up with 4 channels. 2 for the Monitors and 2 for the Subs. I also have an Spl 2Control. The issue with that is that while it has 2+2+1(subwoofer) outputs
it has 4 Inputs (2xStereo) that unfortunately get Summed together inside the 2Control. Hope it is clear enough the way i write it, pardon my English
Driving a 2x4 HD from the Motu is no problem. You could even go TOSLINK out the 2x4 HD. That would be a 2-in and 4-out, so the crossover is done on the minidsp.

I'm not clear on what the issue is. Maybe you could draw out a wiring diagram of the sources, motu, and minidsp/spl, snap a picture, and post it?

OP
D

DrSpan

Driving a 2x4 HD from the Motu is no problem. You could even go TOSLINK out the 2x4 HD. That would be a 2-in and 4-out, so the crossover is done on the minidsp.

I'm not clear on what the issue is. Maybe you could draw out a wiring diagram of the sources, motu, and minidsp/spl, snap a picture, and post it?

"Driving a 2x4 HD from the Motu is no problem“ this is not my issue. What i need is a Volume Control after the MiniDsp that can regulate all 4 channels and not summ them at the input as my Spl 2Controll does

Attaching a drawing but dont shoot me. I am not a good painter or writer

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 29

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you route your signal directly to the miniDSP 2x4 and take the analog 4ch output from the 2x4 into the Motu for volume control? You could also take 4ch USB audio out from the miniDSP to your computer and route 4ch into the Motu with another USB cable. Both should maintain independent channels and volume control.

radix

Major Contributor
"Driving a 2x4 HD from the Motu is no problem“ this is not my issue. What i need is a Volume Control after the MiniDsp that can regulate all 4 channels and not summ them at the input as my Spl 2Controll does

Attaching a drawing but dont shoot me. I am not a good painter or writer

Why not use the volume control on the motu?

Or a 2-channel knob between the motu and minidsp, like this

OP
D

DrSpan

Why don't you just use the mindsp volume control?
View attachment 348632
Hey there.
This would be a compromise solution as i cant imagine making frequent volume adjustements using a Remote cause i would not even have a display of where i am.
For someone simply listening to music this would be enough. If you make music or master music this is a painful and prone to error way
but it is a way. No arguing there.

Thank you very much for the input. Either way i changed my plan yesternight cause after finding a solution in Spl 8 Control and thinking about it a lot i decided to go a different path

OP
D

DrSpan

Why not use the volume control on the motu?

Or a 2-channel knob between the motu and minidsp, like this

Because i also have the Spl that i have to implement in this setup. What you suggest works if i ditch the Spl.
Which i decided to do in time. For now i cancelled my order of the MiniDsp.
I will do a bit of further planing but i found the solution. It combines the MiniDsp and a Volume control. MiniDsp Flex 8 2x8

Thank you for all the input

OP
D

DrSpan

Can you route your signal directly to the miniDSP 2x4 and take the analog 4ch output from the 2x4 into the Motu for volume control? You could also take 4ch USB audio out from the miniDSP to your computer and route 4ch into the Motu with another USB cable. Both should maintain independent channels and volume control.
Although a clever solution it is also very complicated and will occupy my Motu In-Out almost entirely and the Usb solutions also is a „too many cables too many weakspots“ scenario.
But smart nonetheless. I decided to go a different way and for now cancelled my Minidsp order.

radix

Major Contributor
Because i also have the Spl that i have to implement in this setup. What you suggest works if i ditch the Spl.
Which i decided to do in time. For now i cancelled my order of the MiniDsp.
I will do a bit of further planing but i found the solution. It combines the MiniDsp and a Volume control. MiniDsp Flex 8 2x8

Thank you for all the input
Put the SPL before the minidsp and just use the SP1 outputs. You can feed a balanced output to the unbal input of the 2x4HD with a single adapter cable that floats the - pin. As long as the 2Control output does not clip the 2x4HD, you are good.

I hope I'm still not missing something you're trying to do.

OP
D

DrSpan

Put the SPL before the minidsp and just use the SP1 outputs. You can feed a balanced output to the unbal input of the 2x4HD with a single adapter cable that floats the - pin. As long as the 2Control output does not clip the 2x4HD, you are good.

I hope I'm still not missing something you're trying to do.
You are not missing anything.

I did not want the MiniDsp after the Spl cause i am listening very dynamically, meaning i vary the listening-controlling volume a lot when mastering.
So when i am listening to very low levels it will lower the Signal/Noise ratio by a lot. So its not the best option.

However today i went a different way and found and bought a MiniDsp Flex 2+4 Balanced which will replace my Spl even though i will greatly miss
the beautiful Volume know , Sturdy build, amazing Headphone Amps and the flexibility of choosing monitor pairs, dim etc.
Its a great Controller but i decided to let it go and move on

So in a way my problems are solved……For now

Top Bottom