• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mivera Audio DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Proof fiber is better? Any chimp can find that information in 2 minutes with a Google search. It's not about agreeing with me, it's about fact vs fiction. If I was never even born fiber would still be superior to copper for Ethernet. I have nothing to do with engineering it, and I certainly don't work for Corning. So no biases just facts.

Regarding Amir trashing the Purestream, I'm more pissed off for all the lies about safety and regulations. He can trash the sound all he wants because I know he hasn't heard it. All of the owners already know it picks up no noise. So not sure who's he's trying to convince it does.

pinkupanda

Proof fiber is better? Any chimp can find that information in 2 minutes with a Google search. It's not about agreeing with me, it's about fact vs fiction. If I was never even born fiber would still be superior to copper for Ethernet. I have nothing to do with engineering it, and I certainly don't work for Corning. So no biases just facts.

I have been doing CA for a long time. In theory fiber is supposed to isolate you from the noise that might otherwise flow through the copper connection but RJ45 is also transformer coupled. I don't hear (subjective listening) any difference between introducing FMC. So from wherever you got the idea of fiber is JUST doing to make it sound better its just plain not working in my case, though I have taken great care in isolating at other places. every system is different - some tweaks work and some don't. You make it sound like its a universal gospel and if some doesn't agree you slap them with "you are living in Industrial Age obsolete technology " is telling a lot.

Regarding Amir trashing the Purestream, I'm more pissed off for all the lies about safety and regulations. He can trash the sound all he wants because I know he hasn't heard it. All of the owners already know it picks up no noise. So not sure who's he's trying to convince it does.

Well, as I read it Amir happens to see a picture of the inside of your DAC and tried to help you by pointing some of the design flaws (which he deemed to and he may not be 100% correct), only if had taken this in +ive sense and worked on it but you went ballistic. You should remember this is not a forum for subjective listening experience. Simply stating that you haven't measured anything would have avoided the situation where you are in right now.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I have been doing CA for a long time. In theory fiber is supposed to isolate you from the noise that might otherwise flow through the copper connection but RJ45 is also transformer coupled. I don't hear (subjective listening) any difference between introducing FMC. So from wherever you got the idea of fiber is JUST doing to make it sound better its just plain not working in my case, though I have taken great care in isolating at other places. every system is different - some tweaks work and some don't. You make it sound like its a universal gospel and if some doesn't agree you slap them with "you are living in Industrial Age obsolete technology " is telling a lot.

Well, as I read it Amir happens to see a picture of the inside of your DAC and tried to help you by pointing some of the design flaws (which he deemed to and he may not be 100% correct), only if had taken this in +ive sense and worked on it but you went ballistic. You should remember this is not a forum for subjective listening experience. Simply stating that you haven't measured anything would have avoided the situation where you are in right now.

What I would like to see is proof that copper is better for audio. Why should we pay 4-5x more for copper?

I don't think anyone needs your regurgitated and skewed version of what Amir said about my DAC. Any intelligent human can read for themselves and figure out what he was trying to do. Do you guys really think readers of this forum are brain dead?

pinkupanda

What I would like to see is proof that copper is better for audio. Why should we pay 4-5x more for copper?

How is copper 4-5x more ? I failed to digest. the point is if you aren't designing a PC from ground up just sticking in FMC in the middle is going to only cause more trouble leave apart they being cheaper than copper.

I don't think anyone needs your regurgitated and skewed version of what Amir said about my DAC. Any intelligent human can read for themselves and figure out what he was trying to do. Do you guys really think readers of this forum are brain dead?

yes exactly. intellegent readers are not brain dead and could learn some useful hints on safety on products that are sold without them knowing what they are getting into.

Mivera

Major Contributor
How is copper 4-5x more ? I failed to digest. the point is if you aren't designing a PC from ground up just sticking in FMC in the middle is going to only cause more trouble leave apart they being cheaper than copper.

yes exactly. intellegent readers are not brain dead and could learn some useful hints on safety on products that are sold without them knowing what they are getting into.

Go read the Roon thread.

There's nothing unsafe about the Purestream. There's absolutely no design flaws. It works flawless. I've never had any issue or reports about anything but flawless operation and sound. Nothing runs too hot, nothing is unsafe, nothing picks up noise.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Go read the Roon thread.

There's nothing unsafe about the Purestream. There's absolutely no design flaws. It works flawless. I've never had any issue or reports about anything but flawless operation and sound. Nothing runs too hot, nothing is unsafe, nothing picks up noise.
i would think that if I looked in the box too...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

The only guy that's come here after buying your bits and putting it together himself seems to agree with amir in reference to the safety and noise concerns.

Did you miss that?

Let's put them side by side..,
Mikes best effort
IMG_1128.PNG

Oh look what a guy with a EE background did..,
IMG_1129.JPG

Mivera

Major Contributor
The only guy that's come here after buying your bits and putting it together himself seems to agree with amir in reference to the safety and noise concerns.

Did you miss that?

Yes he was concerned about the flaws he made with his DIY build. However he built it that way. He had the picture of our commercial build with no flaws as reference.

You guys are still trying to fool people to think that was my commercial build?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Are you opening that Bar you posted to the public mike? Are you serving food?

Do you have any food hygiene certificates or any training in that area?

Or are you just winging it and hoping no one dies?

By the way, you self certified your CE sticker.. if anything happens the legal costs alone will leave your family homeless..

Oh well, it dose not look like you really care.

pinkupanda

Go read the Roon thread.

I hope you understand the difference between things running flawlessly and flawless designs :eek:
Even a $2k Benchmark DAC has CE, FCC and RoHS. How many did you have to validate your claims ?

Mivera

Major Contributor

Did you miss that?

Let's put them side by side..,
Mikes best effort
View attachment 8433
Oh look what a guy with a EE background did..,
View attachment 8434

Steve has an EE background?? News to me. Where did he say that? Yes he removed the mains filter. But all it's gonna do is reduce performance and make it more sensitive to ground loops.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes he was concerned about the flaws he made with his DIY build. However he built it that way. He had the picture of our commercial build with no flaws as reference.

It's the picture you show to your customers I believe?

Why show them the non commercial lay out? That's misrepresenting what you sell..

But who cares right! It's all just over fussy crap guys in suits make up to keep visionaries down and prevent progress..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

The flaws he made?

Strange lol

Mivera

Major Contributor
I hope you understand the difference between things running flawlessly and flawless designs :eek:
Even a $2k Benchmark DAC has CE, FCC and RoHS. How many did you have to validate your claims ?

We meet CE compliance. However along with 80% of the industry, never bothered with the others. Only mass produced in China products have all of those. Not required or MSB would be out of business. Not even CE mark on MSB products. Almost anything with a tube has no certifications.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes he removed the mains filter. But all it's gonna do is reduce performance and make it more sensitive to ground loops.
That filter does not do a darn thing to fix ground loops. If it did, folks would package it up and sell it for that use. No one has.

Learn some of the basics for heaven's sake.

Mivera

Major Contributor
It's the picture you show to your customers I believe?

Why show them the non commercial lay out? That's misrepresenting what you sell..

But who cares right! It's all just over fussy crap guys in suits make up to keep visionaries down and prevent progress..

That was Steve's build. I showed him the proper build as reference.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Steve has an EE background?? News to me. Where did he say that? Yes he removed the mains filter. But all it's gonna do is reduce performance and make it more sensitive to ground loops.
From what I read he had a electronics background, but he posted his background so if I'm wrong you can link it.

It academic, his build independently identified similar issues as amir. That's the point.

Mivera

Major Contributor
That filter does not do a darn thing to fix ground loops. If it did, folks would package it up and sell it for that use. No one has.

Learn some of the basics for heaven's sake.

Well almost every DAC on the market that uses a SMPS these days uses a similar mains filter.

Mivera

Major Contributor
From what I read he had a electronics background, but he posted his background so if I'm wrong you can link it.

It academic, his build independently identified similar issues as amir. That's the point.

No nothing to do with electronics. Structural engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom