• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mivera Audio DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The only guy that's come here after buying your bits and putting it together himself seems to agree with amir in reference to the safety and noise concerns.

Did you miss that?

Let's put them side by side..,
Mikes best effort
View attachment 8433
Oh look what a guy with a EE background did..,
View attachment 8434

Now that I read this over I can see obviously you were lost. Yes that's the picture of Steve's DIY build after he removed the mains filter and used insulated faston's. That's the only difference between the 2. Mine has the mains filter. And I'm using black wire and he's using grey.

The picture Amir used as the dangerous example was that same DAC of Steve's before he pulled out the mains filter and put in the insulated faston's. That's the only difference. Yes it makes the box look tidier without it. But that mains filter was in there for a reason. Not just a decoration.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Wow look at that big fat mains filter right before that SMPS. Must be dangerous! Almost the same thing internally as the one in the Purestream. Only that one has a switch on it. The don't have the choke filtered ground in that style.

IMG_1242.JPG

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Now that I read this over I can see obviously you were lost. Yes that's the picture of Steve's DIY build after he removed the mains filter and used insulated faston's. That's the only difference between the 2. Mine has the mains filter. And I'm using black wire and he's using grey.

The picture Amir used as the dangerous example was that same DAC of Steve's before he pulled out the mains filter and put in the insulated faston's. That's the only difference. Yes it makes the box look tidier without it. But that mains filter was in there for a reason. Not just a decoration.
That's not the only difference , look closer.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Mike, you said Steve made revisions because amir made him paranoid by starting the thread addressing safety concerns of a then unnamed box..

I think you have also said Steve did his different after you showed him your commercial unit:confused:

But back to this current story ( it's getting hard to keep up with the ever changing stories) that thread is only days old .. I find it hard to believe you on this point. Seems the timing makes little sense, highlighting yet another discrepancy in your story.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is how i would expect this to of gone..,

Amir Highlights safety concerns about a DAC

Mike pops in and agrees with amir, confirms the pictures amir is referencing is a prototype ( I believe you claimed that but it's hard to keep up) and posts a picture of the commercial unit he's actually sending out and some fine examples of those who have copied it.

Really simple..

Il leave it to the readers to conclude why it's all got so elaborate..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh and Steve clearly has a background in electronics ( he's not a qualified EE but has a background involving a lot of the theory and also a engineering background)..,

Hello All:

Not sure I should jump into this boiling pot, but I am Steve, the guy who built the DAC under critique. First a little background, may be of interest to some or not. I am a recently retired mechanical engineer who worked about 30 years in the aerospace industry performing structural analysis, thermal analysis and testing of mainly military grade electronics and airframes. So now my interests lay in the area of DIY consumer audio. I basically like to build things, enjoy putting the legos together. Loved to build Heathkits as a teen. I admit I could not design any amplifier or power supply from scratch, but have had enough electronics exposure and coursework over the years to understand theory and principles. I have recently built several amplifiers, preamps and even a DAC in the form of kits.

With his background he put together your bits much better than you did.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Il let mike answer as that's fair but then the threads getting shut down, it's proving no value to our members and tbh it's a pita for me to moderate.

I don't mind if the subject warrants it but I'm not keen on waking up for work in the morning and having to spend a hour going through a load of pointless back and forth a good deal of which is just insults. Iv got better things to do.

Mivera

Major Contributor
These are both the same DAC that Steve built. Both are a DIY build. Neither was built by me and I never once claimed they were. Only difference is he removed the EMI filter after reading Amir's BS post because at the time he thought Amir might be a real engineer, instead of the competing audio dealer he really is. Very simple. But I know you're just trying to add negativity to the thread hoping people won't actually read the content closely.

Look at the wire coming from the front power button and you can clearly see it's the same DAC.
IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

For anyone who doesn't know here's the thread when Amir trashed Steve's DIY build misleadingly claiming it's our commercial build:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...design-of-diy-originated-audio-products.1865/

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
These are both the same DAC that Steve built. Both are a DIY build. Neither was built by me and I never once claimed they were. Only difference is he removed the EMI filter after reading Amir's BS post because at the time he thought Amir might be a real engineer, instead of the competing audio dealer he really is. Very simple. But I know you're just trying to add negativity to the thread hoping people won't actually read the content closely.

Look at the wire coming from the front power button and you can clearly see it's the same DAC.
View attachment 8440
View attachment 8438

For anyone who doesn't know here's the thread when Amir trashed Steve's DIY build misleadingly claiming it's our commercial build:

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...design-of-diy-originated-audio-products.1865/
Ok, so we don't have any examples of a dac you built .. if this is the case what's all this about and why then have you spent so much time trying to defend it.

All you had to say was " I did not put that together " .

Mivera

Major Contributor
This is the only commercial build I ever shared on here. It's also the same picture Steve had for reference to look at while building his DIY unit. There's absolutely no safety issues or concerns with this commercial build whatsoever:

IMG_0015.JPG

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is the only commercial build I ever shared on here. It's also the same picture Steve had for reference to look at while building his DIY unit. There's absolutely no safety issues or concerns with this commercial build whatsoever:

View attachment 8441
That's the picture from your web site too.

Mivera

Major Contributor
That's the picture from your web site too.

Yes like I said it's the only picture anywhere of the inside of a Purestream I built. Other than this one which was an early prototype:

IMG_5483.JPG

Mivera

Major Contributor
You can hardly be held responsible for a build someone else put together with your bits. That's fair enough imo but why all the nonsense.

You guys ask yourselves why all the nonsense. Great question.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Another thing is the EMI filter built internally in the SMPS serves a different role than the external EMI filter I use. It's mainly to keep any noise going back into the mains. Where the external unit is to keep noise from going into the DAC from the mains.

Amir's trashing of the EMI filter is about as creditable as him claiming the current SOTA from Benchmark and Mytek uses linear supplies. But in reality both use SMPS's with EMI filters before them.

Mivera

Major Contributor
No mike, you came out with all sorts of defence when there was no need.

We seem to of got to the bottom of a great deal of it in five posts.

You're just not reading everything clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom