• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mission QX-2 MKII

MDimitrov

Hello everybody,
Does anybody got the chance to audition the abovementioned speakers? They are fairly new and Mission claims an upgrade and improvement over the original QX series, which got some good reviews. I'm on a mission (yeah) to find a new pair of bookshelf speakers for my new place. Unfortunately I rely only on online reviews as the audiophile/Hi-Fi dealership scene in Bulgaria is pretty bad, so live auditions ... not gonna happen.
Anyway, If anybody have some experience with Mission QX-2 or QX-2 MKII, I'll be happy to receive some info on the subject.

M.

Putter

Forum Donor
While I don't doubt it's a decent speaker, the review is the usual subjective nonsense with the possible exception of "In this room I got 39Hz before I dropped out of the +/- 3dB margin, even with the cabinet a good half metre out from the wall. " It's unclear how (or even if) he measured the frequency response. There are also a couple of red flags like how the speakers sound different with different amps and dac's when blind tests have shown that there are no audible difference with competently designed amps and dac's. He also talks about how "bass response feels very slightly sluggish and leaden" which is more likely a room issue.

As for the rest, it's a guy listening to favorite recordings and liking the sound coming out the speakers. Nothing wrong with that, but only an indication that he likes the speaker (and no doubt the next one he reviews), i.e. a sample of one, the ultimate subjective review. You can find dozens of similar reviews of speakers in that general price range. As a final note his reviews are never less than 8 out of 10 and more usually 9. After all if it got a 10 you would never buy another one and he loses his supply of free equipment to review.

What I would look for in a review would be a fairly comprehensive set of measurements and their significance both positive and negative along with the usual listening session and some discussion of how the measurements do or don't show up in the listening. Ideally there would also be some discussion of other options in that price range.

P.S. Sorry about the cynicism, but these reviews all read about the same with the possible exception that there are some rudimentary measurements.

Reflektor

I bought a pair of these once I saw the super low price (£199 with free next day delivery, thanks Berwhale).

I have around 20hrs listening on them so far but straight out of the box I was happy with them. Initially my eye was on the MkII version, but the positive reviews and bargain price made the MkI's a no brainer.

Bass response is very good, as full and deep as any stand mount speaker I've owned - verging on excessive occasionally, but I do have them very close to rear facing wall so kind of expected this.
In a nutshell these speakers are smooth.
Smooth mids, and exceptionally smooth highs.
There is enough detail to keep me engaged but they never venture anywhere near fatiguing.
Imaging is very good, soundstage is full room width and scale is very impressive (the main reason I wanted a slightly larger driver/cabinet).

I bought them to potentially replace a pair of Q Acoustic Concept 20s, which have a remarkably clean presentation at their price point.
I also ran KEF Q350s for a while, these have the best imaging of any speaker I've heard under £1000, but ultimately weren't dynamic enough for me, especially at low volumes.
The QX2s seem to be a fairly even blend of the Concept 20s and Q350s. They don't particularly excel in any area but instead could be considered an 8/10 in every category.
So if you like balance, huge scale, and an edge of warmth/smoothness, you'll love the QX2.

At £199 they're an absolute steal.

Dreyfus

Just in case anyone is looking for more data:

1000014594.png

1000014595.png

Top Bottom