• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

CoolHandDuke

I plan on using the SHD in my living room (downstairs from my router). Aside from the wifi USB dongle some users have had issues with, do you expect there to be an issue with streaming? The SHD is very appealing, but there does seem to be documented issues trying to get everything connected appropriately.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I plan on using the SHD in my living room (downstairs from my router). Aside from the wifi USB dongle some users have had issues with, do you expect there to be an issue with streaming? The SHD is very appealing, but there does seem to be documented issues trying to get everything connected appropriately.
With Ethernet, I have no issues using the spotify connect plugin on volumio

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I will not have ethernet connection where the SHD will be. Only wifi.
I have had an SHD and used it on Wi-Fi with never an issue but it is certainly something that could vary based on location/Wi-Fi strength etc.

CoolHandDuke

I have had an SHD and used it on Wi-Fi with never an issue but it is certainly something that could vary based on location/Wi-Fi strength etc.
Thanks. For someone like me who isn't experienced with network knowledge, was it difficult to set up?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. For someone like me who isn't experienced with network knowledge, was it difficult to set up?
No, plug in the adapter, log in to the IP address of the shd, and enable it via the web admin panel. Documentation in the manual is pretty good in my opinion and worth looking through.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My shd is literally sitting beside my router but with the wifi dongle they provided it never works.

even if you Don’t have an Ethernet point nearby, you can use a wifi extender with an Ethernet out in case the wifi dongle doesnt work

Last edited:

CoolHandDuke

My shd is literally sitting beside my router but with the wifi dongle they provided it never works.

even if you Fing have an Ethernet point nearby, you can use a wifi extender with an Ethernet out in case the wifi dongle doesnt work
That's a good idea if the wifi dongle or a cheap 3rd party one doesn't work.

Daaadou

I have a technical question about the analog output voltage level.

Since my power amp (a RB-1590) has these specs :

Input Impedance/Sensitivity :
Unbalance 12k Ohms / 2.2 V
Balance 100k Ohms / 3.5 V

and the SHD specs are :
Unbalance 100 Ohms / 2V
Balance 200 Ohms / 4V

How would you connect these two, balanced or unbalanced interconnect?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP got back to me and I will paraphrase:

• The SHD USB output can't be turned off (currently) and they are not sure if it is technically possible. It will be mentioned to their Engineers.
  • SHD is not Roon ready. There is a work around using Roon Bridge. The SHD is in ongoing certification but out of MiniDSP control. Individuals can ask Roon for developer status (although I don't know how to do that).
Once the SHD arrives, I'll start a thread on the Roon site to get status and perhaps developer status.

- Rich

Sonnie

MiniDSP got back to me and I will paraphrase:

• The SHD USB output can't be turned off (currently) and they are not sure if it is technically possible. It will be mentioned to their Engineers.
  • SHD is not Roon ready. There is a work around using Roon Bridge. The SHD is in ongoing certification but out of MiniDSP control. Individuals can ask Roon for developer status (although I don't know how to do that).
Once the SHD arrives, I'll start a thread on the Roon site to get status and perhaps developer status.

- Rich
I got the same response on the USB output... not sure if they can develop the option to make it turn off, but will look into it.

My guess is my SHD is allowing Roon without the Roon Bridge due to my developer status.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got the same response on the USB output... not sure if they can develop the option to make it turn off, but will look into it.

My guess is my SHD is allowing Roon without the Roon Bridge due to my developer status.
I write code, how do I get developer status? :)

- Rich

Sonnie

I write code, how do I get developer status? :)

- Rich
The link I had for it is dead. You might post something in the Roon forum... or contact Roon directly to see if they will set you up. They don't really have any special requirements that I know of... just fill out the form and grab a screenshot of your device within the Roon program.

mikeburns

Mike, could you tell me if it's possible to adjust the volume of the SHD, by making use of the hardware buttons on your phone, while using the Spotify APP on your phone, controlling the music on the SHD?

OK have my system all set up now. Have checked and found the following. First when connecting to the SHD with the SHD spotify connect app the only way to change the volume is with the SHD remote or rotary volume knob. The volume level is static and cannot be changed with my phone or my laptop, but can be controlled in terms of playback etc from both my phone and laptop using the spotify app.

When connecting to the SHD using my chromecast audio via toslink I can control the volume from my phone or laptop. Obviously this is not ideal as you really just want to use the spotify connect and reduce your connected items in the chain. It is weird you can control the volume with the chromecast but not with the spotify connect app (which is basically doing the same thing). Ah well, the remote works well.

mikeburns

even if you Don’t have an Ethernet point nearby, you can use a wifi extender with an Ethernet out in case the wifi dongle doesnt work

Yup, as mentioned many times before. Do not expect the wifi on the SHD to work... Many people, including myself have struggled to get a long term, highly stable connection via wifi. The extender is the easy fix.

CoolHandDuke

Yup, as mentioned many times before. Do not expect the wifi on the SHD to work... Many people, including myself have struggled to get a long term, highly stable connection via wifi. The extender is the easy fix.
It's things like the wifi and issues with streaming easily that make me hesitant about the SHD. Many of you seem quite knowledgeable about networks and trouble shooting issues like this. I can follow directions, but this is not my Forte. Problem is, there aren't really any other options that provide what the SHD does for the price. Seems like the NAD C568 has its own set of issues. With a staunch return policy for minidsp, that also is a concern.

mikeburns

It's things like the wifi and issues with streaming easily that make me hesitant about the SHD. Many of you seem quite knowledgeable about networks and trouble shooting issues like this. I can follow directions, but this is not my Forte. Problem is, there aren't really any other options that provide what the SHD does for the price. Seems like the NAD C568 has its own set of issues. With a staunch return policy for minidsp, that also is a concern.

Although the initial setup is a bit of a learning curve it is totally worth taking the time and working with the SHD. It is a phenomenal piece of gear that has completely changed my understanding of hifi. I am not kidding. It is well worth the effort.

It took me a bit to get the wifi connected initially and then it was patchy at best. As soon as I got the wifi extender it solved the problem. The extender itself was super easy to setup, just power it on and hold a button, it connects to the wifi and your away. Then just plug the LAN cable into it and into the SHD. Immediate and stable connection. The SHD spotify connect app is really good. Once installed (which takes a while - so just let it keep working, I thought mine had stalled but it was just installing very slowly) it is great and I would not bother with the other spotify app (the onboard one). The spotify connect one is rock solid.

I can't comment on roon as I don't use it yet. The volumio streaming board is very slow and low powered though and it could not cope with my large SSD drive of music. If you have a networked music folder it will work fine, but no good for plugging in a large library of music. I instead just use my rpi I built earlier with Moode which is much faster and can cope with a really large library. I guess all of this will be largely dependent on your specific use case. How are you planning on using the streaming side of things?

CoolHandDuke

Although the initial setup is a bit of a learning curve it is totally worth taking the time and working with the SHD. It is a phenomenal piece of gear that has completely changed my understanding of hifi. I am not kidding. It is well worth the effort.

It took me a bit to get the wifi connected initially and then it was patchy at best. As soon as I got the wifi extender it solved the problem. The extender itself was super easy to setup, just power it on and hold a button, it connects to the wifi and your away. Then just plug the LAN cable into it and into the SHD. Immediate and stable connection. The SHD spotify connect app is really good. Once installed (which takes a while - so just let it keep working, I thought mine had stalled but it was just installing very slowly) it is great and I would not bother with the other spotify app (the onboard one). The spotify connect one is rock solid.

I can't comment on roon as I don't use it yet. The volumio streaming board is very slow and low powered though and it could not cope with my large SSD drive of music. If you have a networked music folder it will work fine, but no good for plugging in a large library of music. I instead just use my rpi I built earlier with Moode which is much faster and can cope with a really large library. I guess all of this will be largely dependent on your specific use case. How are you planning on using the streaming side of things?
Thanks for giving me your experience. Right now, I'm streaming mostly thru Tidal, but will probably move away from that eventually to something like qobuz. I don't have much as far as a digital music library, but hope to slowly build one over time. Bottom line, I'd just like the unit to work well for my relatively basic needs (one streaming service and utilizing a library with my own files).

mikeburns

Thanks for giving me your experience. Right now, I'm streaming mostly thru Tidal, but will probably move away from that eventually to something like qobuz. I don't have much as far as a digital music library, but hope to slowly build one over time. Bottom line, I'd just like the unit to work well for my relatively basic needs (one streaming service and utilizing a library with my own files).
I reckon the SHD will do fine. I haven't used the tidal app and I do not believe they have Tidal Connect yet but I hear it is in the pipeline for volumio so picking it shouldn't be too long for minidsp to pick it up as well... As far as your own files go many people have worked well with the nano pi on the shd. A small library will be fine or a networked drive otherwise. Others will probably chime in here as those two aspects I do not use.

Top Bottom