• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

poxymoron

The SHD Studio is cheaper on Audiophonics than the Flex when you include the Dirac with the Flex (Dirac comes with the Studio). I still think the Flex is the one for me and most likely direct from Hong Kong. There has been some discussions on ASR previously where a SHD (or SHD Studio?) purchaser was unhappy with the customer service from minidsp (and the US retailer), I can't seem to find the discussion on ASR right now.

Reactions: MCH

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with the SHD is it's large and too expensive unless you're building an active speaker system with it. The problem with the Studio is it isn't a DAC and we don't need it to do streaming if we're using a source. It took them a long time to finally create the device many of us needed in the Flex.

MCH

Major Contributor
What i don't understand about the flex, and please correct me if i am wrong because i know nothing on the subject, is that it seems that where this device is really a killer and i bet a large share of use cases are is for two mains, two subs and dirac, right? Then why don't get the possibility to get the dirac version with bass management or control or however it is called?

Probably i am getting something wrong, but when i pay this amount of money, pay extra for a dsp software... and still have to go and learn how to set up the system... the value for me gets diminished.

envydd

Forum Donor
What i don't understand about the flex, and please correct me if i am wrong because i know nothing on the subject, is that it seems that where this device is really a killer and i bet a large share of use cases are is for two mains, two subs and dirac, right? Then why don't get the possibility to get the dirac version with bass management or control or however it is called?

Probably i am getting something wrong, but when i pay this amount of money, pay extra for a dsp software... and still have to go and learn how to set up the system... the value for me gets diminished.
The other option is to get an integrated amp or a DAC with DSP (e.g. NAD C658) ..... more expensive. I agree if your time is more expensive, its better to buy a NAD ..... even reading this forum is an investment/expenditure ;)

MCH

Major Contributor
The other option is to get an integrated amp or a DAC with DSP (e.g. NAD C658) ..... more expensive. I agree if your time is more expensive, its better to buy a NAD ..... even reading this forum is an investment/expenditure ;)
Bah it is not just a matter of time, it is that i don't want, i don't find it interesting. I would prefer to pay a bit more and get it done. For avr or integrated of that kind i don't have the space and even if i did...
In any case, not a big deal, it is just that i don't see it a very logical choice from minidsp side

poxymoron

The problem with the SHD is it's large and too expensive unless you're building an active speaker system with it. The problem with the Studio is it isn't a DAC and we don't need it to do streaming if we're using a source. It took them a long time to finally create the device many of us needed in the Flex.
True, and that kinda suits me. I'm using active speakers with built in DAC and I have yet to add a streamer, although Volumio on the Studio doesn't really excite me. If I'm going for the Flex I'm going for the digital version.

Keened

Forum Donor

Dirac has not licensed that capability to anyone short of the really big boys. The hardware has been capable of running it since the 2x4HD, the hold up is all on their side.

But yes, this is a killer device for:
Excellent SINAD
Digital cross over with high and low pass options on the channels
DSP without having to leave the digital domain
Digital volume control

There really isn't anything quite like it on the market. The NAD 3045 is close but doesn't have the same SINAD, no highpass on the mains, and no DSP.

stren

Forum Donor
Dirac has not licensed that capability to anyone short of the really big boys. The hardware has been capable of running it since the 2x4HD, the hold up is all on their side.

Excellent SINAD
Digital volume control

There really isn't anything quite like it on the market. The NAD 3045 is close but doesn't have the same SINAD, no highpass on the mains, and no DSP.

If I were them - I would be looking at two future derivatives - one would be an shd-8 - 8 channel type device like the ddrc-88 that would offer software addon options to turn it into 2.X system with bass control for multi subs, or to be a 7.1 processor with dirac. The other product would be the shd powerplus with a more powerful hypex or purifi amp. The latter is the easiest path.

raest

Excellent SINAD
Digital volume control

afaik the 3045 does have a high pass on the mains (with pre-defined settings, something like 80-160Hz in 20Hz increments, iirc)

Keened

Forum Donor
afaik the 3045 does have a high pass on the mains (with pre-defined settings, something like 80-160Hz in 20Hz increments, iirc)
You're right, it's the subwoofer lowpass it might be missing (it's unclear), which isn't a huge deal since most subs these days have that on the plate controls.

Keened

Forum Donor
If I were them - I would be looking at two future derivatives - one would be an shd-8 - 8 channel type device like the ddrc-88 that would offer software addon options to turn it into 2.X system with bass control for multi subs, or to be a 7.1 processor with dirac. The other product would be the shd powerplus with a more powerful hypex or purifi amp. The latter is the easiest path.
The former used to exist, it was called the DAC8DSP and it was made by Okto using the miniSHARC (nano?) iirc

They stopped because MiniDSP discontinued the line. Why they discontinued the line is something I have no knowledge of.

A lot of people are already doing the latter using the flex and a RPi, would make sense to get a piece of that. But I suspect they're getting to be rather tired maintaining the streamer part of their products and may opt for a Flex+Amp design with 4x4 routing via usb or dual digital input pairs

Sluraad

I too have been refreshing the minidsp store page for a flex for like 2 weeks

agiletiger

I ordered mine in March 6th and haven’t heard anything. It seems like one month was about the lead time the first go around. Anyone else hear anything yet?

aikofan

I just registered on this forum to say that I also ordered one on March 6 and have had no order updates from MiniDSP. I’m assuming the lockdowns in China are affecting production. Maybe this wasn’t a good time to order.

poxymoron

For
Flex digital -> DAC -> subwoofer
do we reckon a Topping D10 or D10S is all that is needed? D10 having slightly better SINAD so not degrading the Flex signal, not that the difference between the two DACs would be audible.
Thanks.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For
do we reckon a Topping D10 or D10S is all that is needed?
Yes.

Edit #1: By which i mean no. ;-)

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For
do we reckon a Topping D10 or D10S is all that is needed? D10 having slightly better SINAD so not degrading the Flex signal, not that the difference between the two DACs would be audible.
Thanks.

D10 and D10S do not have SPDIF inputs so they will not work with the digital Flex.

Michael

Top Bottom