• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not my question. I'm asking people with experience of DIRAC whether the potential gains of DIRAC, which I have never used so cannot assess, outweigh the potential losses of fidelity due to the low bit rate. Or am I simply swapping apples for oranges for no gain?

To buy a miniDSP unit I will need to sell my D90, so it's a note than pertinent question that unfortunately the standard 'just do a blind AB test' response doesn't even begin to answer.

Yes, I understand how many DACs I need, lolz.

As I said, perhaps not clearly enough, I assume the flex replaces the D90 without issue or detrimental effect. But there's also the SHD range, which would replace the Pi. Do they also contain a DAC? If so, given the options, which model best fits my needs?

The lack of a returns policy is a concern as it is, buying the wrong item would be a bit daft.
No human is capable of hearing the difference between 48kHz and 96kHz processing and playback. 96kHz exists purely for marketing and has zero sonic benefit. Does that answer your question?

Please watch this video it explains many digital audio concepts

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's not my question. I'm asking people with experience of DIRAC whether the potential gains of DIRAC, which I have never used so cannot assess, outweigh the potential losses of fidelity due to the low bit rate. Or am I simply swapping apples for oranges for no gain?
As a new Flex/DIRAC user who replaced a highly regarded DAC (DX7PRO) in the chain - there is no question that adding good room correction is such a fundamental improvement not much else is even in the same ballpark. You're comparing a custom fit to off the shelf. Certainly not your concerns regarding the questionable audibility of a lower bit rate. Since you asked :)

D

Deleted member 23424

Ok. Thanks all, that's put my mind at rest regarding the bit rate bottleneck. The D90's days are numbered.

I'll contact miniDSP directly with regard my other question (models).

@Megaken I hope your flex delivers, I look forward to the report.

Ultrasonic

D

Deleted member 23424

Currently:

TV Optical Out & Pi USB Out (Qobuz)
To

D90
To

Purifi 2 Ch > Celef Speakers (stereo only)
I'm assuming the Flex Balanced can replace the D90 with no issue? Or would the more expensive SHD models be more suitable? Would negate the need for the Pi but would I need to keep the D90 in this instance?

I already have a UMIK-1.

What are you trying to find out?
The above. Though I'm pretty set on the Flex. I think.

Jon wise

Am I correct in assuming that using a minidsp flex would mean that I could mostly forgo room treatment ( bass traps/acoustic panels etc) also does anyone know if Dirac can be added at a later date if required?

Ultrasonic

The above. Though I'm pretty set on the Flex. I think.
Will you be using a subwoofer? If not then you could use either a Flex digital or SHD Studio connected to your D90, which if you want to go solely on measured performance is a better DAC than that in the Flex.

The biggest differences to the SHD Studio and SHD are the built in streamer, differences in input and output connectivity, and the 96 kHz for Dirac Live point discussed above. I'd say the overall measured performance of the SHD remains better due to the IMD difference, although whether that's a DAC difference or something else I don't think we know? The SHD is a lot more expensive though.

You may want to hang on and see what a digital Flex will cost actually.

Ultrasonic

Am I correct in assuming that using a minidsp flex would mean that I could mostly forgo room treatment ( bass traps/acoustic panels etc) also does anyone know if Dirac can be added at a later date if required?
Yes you can buy Dirac Live later but no, Dirac Live doesn't render all room treatment pointless. They do different things.

Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic

Interestingly the specifications tab in link below suggests the digital Flex does have analogue inputs though (which the SHD Studio doesn't):

It would be interesting to see a photo just to have this absolutely confirmed.

Ultrasonic

While I remember, one other difference of the SHD Series models is that they're 'Roon Ready'.

Megaken

Interestingly the specifications tab in link below suggests the digital Flex does have analogue inputs though (which the SHD Studio doesn't):

It would be interesting to see a photo just to have this absolutely confirmed.
photo of what
Flex_diagram.png

Ultrasonic

photo of what

The connections on the back of a digital Flex. There are none currently on the miniDSP website as far as I can see.

Ultrasonic

Looks like it does have analogue inputs then :). An interesting extra feature compared to the more expensive SHD Studio.

Ultrasonic

what would some use cases be?
Connecting any analogue source. I use the analogue inputs on my SHD for left and right main speaker signals from a blu-ray player as one example.

Top Bottom