• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp DDRC-24 vs SHD

kevin1969

Besides only having RCA in/outs and no streaming option does the minidsp DDRC-24 have the exact same room correction functionality as the SHD?

EB1000

No. DDRC-24 is based on 2X4HD hardware, but when using Dirac firmware, DSP defaults to 48kHz instead of 96kHz. The SHD does Dirac at 96kHz.

I wish they offered a SHD w/o the streaming features...

OP
K

kevin1969

No. DDRC-24 is based on 2X4HD hardware, but when using Dirac firmware, DSP defaults to 48kHz instead of 96kHz. The SHD does Dirac at 96kHz.

I wish they offered a SHD w/o the streaming features...

Are you referring to it's conversion from analog to digital meaning the SHD samples to 24/96 to do the correction versus the DDRC-24 only doing 24/48?

EB1000

Are you referring to it's conversion from analog to digital meaning the SHD samples to 24/96 to do the correction versus the DDRC-24 only doing 24/48?

Both ADC and processing are carried out at 48kHz (24bits) when you load the Dirac FW into the 2X4HD. It's a hardware limitation.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than the sampling rate difference I have not personally experienced much of a difference in room correction capability between the DDRC-24D and SHD. The resulting corrections are very similar between the two (as measured by using the bi-directional USB audio capability).

The biggest differences are that the SHD has a much better measuring ADC/DAC and more input/output flexibility than the DDRC-24. Of course the DDRC-24 also lacks a display which is a bit annoying. That being said the DDRC-24 is a really good value for a Dirac based processor.

Michael

Top Bottom