• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microfon produces hum near other electronic Devices

Paulepan

Hello dear community, I recently bought my first "big" microphone and have a question about it. It is the Rode Prodmic on an Audient ID4 MKII with Triton Fethead in between. The recordings are super clear and absolutely great. However, I have noticed a phenomenon that I can not quite assess.

It is about the following: When I hold the mic very close (1-5 cm) to other electronic devices I have a hum in the recordings. Depending on the device, the sound and the intensity changes. It is very extreme with my graphics card. As long as I am in the desktop environment everything is ok. As soon as I start a game and the graphics card is fully working I have to keep a distance of about 1 meter to my computer so that no hum can be heard.

I realize that electromagnetic waves from other devices affect the microphone. I just wonder if it is really normal for this to arrive so strongly at the microron. Is there a possibility of a defect, like a broken shield or something similar? Or does this behave so with all microphones?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your interface is drawing power from USB, and the 5V rail in a PC is inherently noisy. Microphones need high-gain to be audible, which makes them especially susceptible to this. Use an external hub that provides power to the devices, and only connects the data pins to your PC.

OP
P

Paulepan

Thank you for the answer. I honestly don't think it is a mass hum. I have had the problem elsewhere as well. Here the interference occurs as soon as the microphone is physically closer to the radiating device. The type of device also makes a difference. Actually, only the graphics card is really noteworthy with a 1 meter of radiation.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's a dynamic microphone so it has a coil as pickup. When you come near a device that has a magnetic field (transformer) it will simply pick that up.
This is normal.
Mics that have good magnetic shielding or electret mics will be less or not pick up stray magnetic fields.

Just keep it far enough away from devices that create hum.

Top Bottom