• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mhdt Labs Pagoda Review (R2R Tube DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 265 91.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
This is just e-waste. Should be illegal.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it even legal to sell this thing?
From the picture it looks like the protective earth terminal has no connection.
And the safety distances on the PCB look questionable. A further investigation could determine that.

People are asking for a listening test. Perhaps Amir did listen to it and that's why he didn't feel well?:D
Wow - you are right. There are no safety clearances. Also those filter caps are not big enough (unless things have changed significantly since I last looked) to be X or Y rated.

It looks like the PE might be soldered into the PCB though.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 09.53.30.png

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
TBH I think this is quiet an interesting product. Things are so bad and exotic that you could deem this an musical instrument in itself. I would like to listen to it once. Also I think tube amps should get their own ranking graph since their purpose IS intended distortion - depending on the spec sheet and manufacturer claims of course!

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Using this is akin to plugging in an original NES gaming console to a 4k television and saying you prefer the graphics, I never fail to be amused at peoples gullibility

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wow - you are right. There are no safety clearances. Also those filter caps are not big enough (unless things have changed significantly since I last looked) to be X or Y rated.

It looks like the PE might be soldered into the PCB though.

View attachment 168983
those blue thingies are jumpers for 115/230V setting.;)
The labelling JP2 is the give away.

filo97s

Wow, they succeded in designing something worse than an AudioGD.
This requires quite an effort.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why are products like this one made? Seems like such a massive waste of materials, time, logistics and effort. I don't understand it.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Why are products like this one made? Seems like such a massive waste of materials, time, logistics and effort. I don't understand it.
My best guest: To be different / unique, no matter how.
As good as the general "level" of electronics has become, it's increasingly difficult to have a "unique point of sale".
Some try it with real improvements, some with features / design, and others with "wanna bet someone will believe our story".

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

They see the garbage audiophools spend their money on and figure what the hell...why not see if we can grab some cash.

respice finem

Major Contributor
In economic terms, DACs have become homogeneous goods. This means price is the only thing that matters and that kills inefficient manufacturers, leaving them only one option, and that is to invent a story that DACs are not all the same (i.e. in economic terms monopolistic competition).
This. And "not the same" is even true in cases like this one, but not the way the buyers might wish for...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just noticed from the photo this unit is made in Taipei Taiwan.
On their website, it mentioned "We don't ship to Taiwan"

Does it imply that this is only for export???

I am not feeling well you all.... So please take it easy as far asking for other stuff for me to do....
Take care man. You probably need some holiday as your work flow has been so intense all those last months.

Top Bottom