• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Metadata - easiest way to add metadata when backing up CD collections

PortaStudio

Hello,

I have a large collection of old CD's (mostly classical music). I am worried that they might go bad. Therefore I want to make a backup off my collection. It is, however, not clear to me how I can get the metadata for them. If I am going to type it all, it's going to be an unpractically large amount. What is the easiest way, to get a backup of a CD's collection with metadata.

Best regards

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thanks I will give it a try. I suspect that some of my classical CD's won't be in a database. What is a good way to manually enter Metadata in such cases?

Sry, never thought about it. All my CD's where in. Editing file names? God help. ;)

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

Sry, never thought about it. All my CD's where in. Editing file names? God help. ;)
No, it's good information. I will try to use online databases to find the metadata (any tip is apprechiated). For those cases, where databases are insufficent, Im going to photograph the track list, add it to the folder and type in the metadata some day... If there is a program that makes this praticularly easy, that would be nice to have as well.

rgpit

Forum Donor

Open Mind Audio

I've use MP3tag to edit and add unfound or inaccutate FLAC fmeta data.

Second this. MP3tag is free, flexible, fast and intuitive. And if you get into it, you can Google all sorts of batch functions to help you with complex operations. It’s also as good as any program for just simple edits and tagging.

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

I've use MP3tag to edit and add unfound or inaccutate FLAC fmeta data.

Nice, I'm going to check it out.
Second this. MP3tag is free, flexible, fast and intuitive. And if you get into it, you can Google all sorts of batch functions help you with complex operations. It’s also as good as any program for just simple edits and tagging.
Good to know.

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

DB Poweramp ripper allows you to download metadata when you rip. You can select multiple sources or manually edit if incorrect.
Great, the more tools I have the better. It's going to be quite a project. haha

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Two more votes: for mp3tag and dbPowerAmp. I believe both can , "almost" automatically query/parse idmb or other database for metadata. And you will need your albums covers :) , this tool helps a lot : The Album Art Downloader (click here) . I believe there are also websites/databases, for albums booklet and pamphlets... Can't remember.

I embarked on a similar project a while back, before discovering streaming ;)

Peace.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Great, the more tools I have the better. It's going to be quite a project. haha
It is a bit if a project but good software helps and dB poweramp is great and can do a lot more than rip CD's. When I ripped my collection I used 3 drives at once (I had some extra usb drives) which obviosly speeds up the process and keeps you busy so a mind numbing task becomes a little more interesting.

The other decision you need to make is error checking. If your collection is in pristine condition it is not a big issue but if you have some even lightly damaged discs and enable error checking and data recovery it can slow the process from 3 min to over an hour and even then you may end up with "clicks". I have found "burst" mode which relies on the error correction of the drives if an error is found to be both fast and audibly transparent. Some people don't like it because if errors are corrected the rip is not bit perfect but practically speaking I get better results.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
When I ripped my collection I used 3 drives at once (I had some extra usb drives) which obviosly speeds up the process and keeps you busy so a mind numbing task becomes a little more interesting.
When I ripped my CD collection with dbPowerAmp, I used a Nimbie to speed the process.

Music707

It is possible to have metadata added by programs you use for ripping, e. g. Exact Audio Copy or Sony Music Center. AFAIK the latter gives you free access to the Gracenote db. However, I like to remind of the infamous rootkit scandal so that you can make up your mind whether or not you want to trust Sony software.

MarnixM

Advanced Renamer: Let you change filenames batchwise.

AudioRanger: Batchwise numbering en editing tags; automatic tagger function.

Tagscanner: Modifies all tags by selecting specific tracks.

Tag&Rename: Missing track names from filenames.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I've never found a classical CD that I couldn't find metadata for. Some are easy, some require more detective work

BeerBear

I'll second Exact Audio Copy, because it's top notch ripper with metadata support and it's free. But it takes some time to set up properly; the UI is not very noob friendly.
And MP3Tag for manual edits.

BenjaminB

I've never found a classical CD that I couldn't find metadata for. Some are easy, some require more detective work
hmmm, there's plenty "Classical" CD that are not in any data base. Just a question of what kind of "classical" (the term is not very optimal, but this is what is used). Classical is so extremely wide and deep.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Musicbrainspicard to auto-download "standard & correct" metadata?

Top Bottom