• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meridian active loudspeakers

Kamrooz

So you have not answered - where did you purchase these and did you purchase them like this?
Any discussion of relative sound is rather pointless unless you can get fully functional units, wouldn’t you agree?
Yes agree

nstzya

Sorry , yes I bought them at local estate sale and AS IS so even they don’t know quality of those and move on dolly whitout any care make many scratches and dent so I have fix them all ,
I don’t know how much should I spend be work again and no idea of those active speakers, i really want give them another life !
Thanks
I doubt you will ever be able to restore these - at least ata cost that makes any sense.
That said, you may be able to part them out and recoup your cost (perhaps even at a profit). The amplifier/processor boards can be removed and sold, not to mention the woofers and rings and grills. Even the cabinet could be sold.

Kamrooz

I doubt you will ever be able to restore these - at least ata cost that makes any sense.
That said, you may be able to part them out and recoup your cost (perhaps even at a profit). The amplifier/processor boards can be removed and sold, not to mention the woofers and rings and grills. Even the cabinet could be sold.
Yes I thought so that would be scenario
I found original post of those, 4 years ago at Washington where I located

Mikig

I had DSP5000 and I still have it now that I use for TV M33.
The 5000s were great, I had picked up the 562V3 and 518 to use them.
Great products, they have only one problem: Meridian works with Meridian.
Using it with other products is always problematic.
For example, the 562V3 is unusable as an analog preamplifier: it has the outputs but the internal 517 DAC in the V3 version does not have all the functions implemented. Result? it's sitting there at home and unused because I no longer have the DSP5000s.
However, I'm always tempted to buy a couple of DSPs again, maybe even something more recent than my old 5000s

Kamrooz

I had DSP5000 and I still have it now that I use for TV M33.
The 5000s were great, I had picked up the 562V3 and 518 to use them.
Great products, they have only one problem: Meridian works with Meridian.
Using it with other products is always problematic.
For example, the 562V3 is unusable as an analog preamplifier: it has the outputs but the internal 517 DAC in the V3 version does not have all the functions implemented. Result? it's sitting there at home and unused because I no longer have the DSP5000s.
However, I'm always tempted to buy a couple of DSPs again, maybe even something more recent than my old 5000s
So that a little bit annoying if we can’t use as a part of Home theater!

Mikig

So that a little bit annoying if we can’t use as a part of Home theater!

of course you can, but with Meridian components if you use the DSP series. They normally have digital inputs. While the M33s have analog inputs. So I don't know which AVR amplifier also has digital outputs on the channels, other than the dedicated Meridian components obviously.

Penelinfi

I wonder if they sold the tops separately at said estate sale. Hopefully no one tried to use them as normal passive speakers lol

Kamrooz

of course you can, but with Meridian components if you use the DSP series. They normally have digital inputs. While the M33s have analog inputs. So I don't know which AVR amplifier also has digital outputs on the channels, other than the dedicated Meridian components obviously.
Thank you so much for your time , how do you like the sound of speakers? Are they really premium? Do you have or had listen to Martin logan 13a or b&w 802 d3 ? How do you rate them ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they said they been sold separately but who knows !?
Do they keep records , none of you have a complete speaker. So it’s in both interest that someone gets a complete speaker. Actually the sellers to ? They would want to deal with you both to have a complete speaker, with much higher value. They must realise they made a mistake.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they said they been sold separately but who knows !?
Did you tell them the real story that the separate half’s are basically useless and they should not have been sold in this way ?

I think you should explain to them what these are and how they work . They must have sold them ignorant of what it was they sold .

Kamrooz

Did you tell them the real story that the separate half’s are basically useless and they should not have been sold in this way ?

I think you should explain to them what these are and how they work . They must have sold them ignorant of what it was they sold .
I will try call them today and explain it better maybe they will let me know who has the top pice
.thank you so much Mnyb

steve59

Major Contributor
There's a learning curve and the newer M's need an Ipad to stream. I bought a pair of DSP8000's in 2010 in 2018 and upgraded to se in 2019. A pre/dac like the 818 or 218 is required for adding components or using the speakerlink feature. 'The hitchhikers guide to Meridian' online was essential to me in getting up and running. Having the app to control power and volume from a tablet or smartphone is pretty cool (some features thru roon), and I remember the first night after the se upgrade was done my wife came down and we sat awestruck listening to song after song just digging the music. I think what sets these apart is their ability to disappear and leave only the music.

Kamrooz

There's a learning curve and the newer M's need an Ipad to stream. I bought a pair of DSP8000's in 2010 in 2018 and upgraded to se in 2019. A pre/dac like the 818 or 218 is required for adding components or using the speakerlink feature. 'The hitchhikers guide to Meridian' online was essential to me in getting up and running. Having the app to control power and volume from a tablet or smartphone is pretty cool (some features thru roon), and I remember the first night after the se upgrade was done my wife came down and we sat awestruck listening to song after song just digging the music. I think what sets these apart is their ability to disappear and leave only the music.
Awesome job man, that’s really cool

Top Bottom