• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Meridian active loudspeakers

do any of you have or have heard the meridian speakers? obviously I'm talking about assets with dsp. For example the Meridian DSP3200 or the more imposing M6. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kal Rubinson

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
I've reviewed some but that was long ago and I have no useful memory of them.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had M2s and DSP5000s for many years, and my brother is still using the 5000s. Very nice indeed, I only changed them as I fancied making my own actives out of some B&Ws.

Neutral 'speakers. The DSP3200s will be similar in sound but without the extension of the larger 5000s. I have no idea about the M6, but they look much more like a 'lifestyle' loudspeaker rather than something for serious hifi.

S

TimH

I've got a set of DSP5000s and (non dsp) M33s. To me they both sound amazing, and I can't really fault them. However I've been following this forum for a while and just joined in fact to reply to this. While they sound great to me I'd like to have more objective data to guide my choice about whether I replace them or not and I can find very little in the way of measurements. If you search there is a thread where a link is provided that takes you to a German magazine that has a graph - I'm still learning how to read them but its quite small so I'm not sure how much detail it provides.

So I can only provide you with subjective impressions, and in that respect they sound very good, the stereo image seems excellent - the voices hover in space between the speakers (....I know this can quickly go off piste but bear with me...trying to avoid flowery language!) and everything sounds very clear and as it should. I am in a very small room (2.5m distance to speakers and wall directly behind listening position - minimal room treatment) so did have concerns about the bass, but the advantage of using these with Meridians own kit (G68 in my case) means you can apply room correction. I also have a DSP5000c and use it in tri-field occasionally for music but full time when watching films or TV.

They can be a bit of a hassle to set up to get the most out of them, I found I had to get some help from the Meridian forum to get the cables setup correctly with the G68 once the DSP5000c was involved. Prior to the G68 I ran them from Coax direct from a PC soundcard and that worked fine.

What really appealed to me was the value they offer - the main towers cost £500, the centre £200 and G68 was about £500 as well and for me they offer really good value on the second hand market. From what I understand there is very little difference between the 5000s and 5200s, its mainly looks.

However with all that said I really want to be able to reproduce accurate sound - I found this forum because I work in Film, in particular for a while in post where we obsesses over making sure that what we are looking at is as accurate as possible and as an artist creating the images it really bugs me that the marketing department in many TV companies paste colour 'corrections' over the top of our carefully crafted images! I want to hear the music as accurately as I can so I get as close as possible to what the artists intended. (I'm amazed there seems to be no standardisation like we have for work that goes to screen for audio recording? but that's a separate thread!)

So to summarise a slightly rambling reply - they sound amazing to me and I like the convenience the setup provides, however I am searching for more objective data to help me decide if I can do better and get closer to a more accurate sound for hopefully not crazy money.

Hope that helps!

Tim

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TimH
When I had my DSP5000s, I measured their frequency response using ARTA, and equalised them flat to +-1dB with a Behringer DEQ2496 digital in to digital out. Although there wasn't a lot wrong with the 'speakers as they were, it was a small improvement which I did just because I could! I tried EQ on and EQ bypassed, unfortunately not blind, and thought I heard a small improvement...but then I would, wouldn't I!

In any event, I completely agree about the DSP5000s, great 'speakers. I used mine with a pair of D1500 subs just to fill out the bottom end a bit.

The DSP5200 is the same 'speaker as the 5000, just with an Armani suit on.

S.

TimH

That's really helpful, thank you. I will investigate a bit further by looking at ARTA and the Behringer seems like a great option too - it would be interesting to compare what the G68 does vs the Behringer. As I'm still really new to the science of all this the room correction applied by the G68 was a bit of a mystery and the exact measurement data seems to be a bit limited, at least in terms of what it allows you to see.

I'm also looking at Subs as a way to improve the sound - something I hadn't really thought about until I found this forum. If I was in the states I would love to ship one of the towers to Amir to test - but from the Uk....it would probably cost the same as I paid for both speakers :D

Another thing the OP might want to know is that the newer speakers use 'Speaker Link' which is a cat5 type cable (Not sure if it is identical?) rather than the older style multipin connector mine has - not sure it it impacts performance but probably makes thing neater and easier to hook up.

Cheers

Tim

OP
relmu
Thread Starter #9
very good information they have produced. It gives the impression as if they have not advanced further in the development of new speakers. What there is no doubt is that they have been one of the pioneers in active speakers with dsp. thank you very much to all

do any of you have or have heard the meridian speakers? obviously I'm talking about assets with dsp. For example the Meridian DSP3200 or the more imposing M6. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Perhaps some context? Why do you ask? Are you considering purchase of one of those two models? I have owned a pair of DSP5000’s for almost 2 decades. And am currently listening to a pair of DSP3100’s. Both are immensely enjoyable. The 3200 and M6 are both reportedly nice - I have not heard either. But would like to. What is unique and what Meridian pioneered is that the signal is kept digital throughout - right up to DAC which then feeds the individual amplifier dedicated to the individual driver. Allows all parameters to be known and controlled. Phase, impulse response, timing, crossover and individual driver EQ are all built into the DSP firmware. I just finished auditioning a Purifi EVAL unit driving some nice passive speakers and although the best they’ve ever sounded, when I went back to the Meridians, there was no comparison.

I think actives, particularly DSP controlled ones solve many issues. KEF and Kii are other examples.

Top Bottom